cheap flex (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
just read something where a guy claims he got an extra 150 points on the ramp travel index on stock suspension by just cutting open the clips that hold the spring packs straight. what's the consensus on this mod, silly, or not a bad idea?

IMO, it's a must do. Mine are all open or bolted (or just plain missing...hehe), none are tight.

daily driver here remember, does it upset road manners majorly. i can live with dead horse wobble and stuff, as long as it won't try to kill me.

i actually enjoy the way my cruiser handles at the moment, fun to drive. as long as it doesn't make it a huge chore i'll consider anything

outta ride smoother, slightly, but no other changes. "all" aftermarket springs use bolted/open wraps, none are tight anymore.

again woody, your the man that has the answers, thanks heaps. gotta remember to do that to my 60 springs. it went from a re arch of the originals to maybe 60 rears, but in my mind it was never going to happen, too scared to see that happen to my rig if i stuffed it good and proper.

thanks again.

do you do it to all 4 springs, or just the rears.

I don't have the answers, I just happen to have been one of many who has been reading about and tweaking these trucks for 10+ years! lol (and, today I'm a post-a-holic....hehehe)

Yes, open fronts and rears. I opened mine vertical, then drilled them for a 1/4" bolt and sleeve to prevent the leaves from opening TOO much at droop.

while your posting, i might as well use it... he he he.

and i read a great article in an australian 4x4 mag about getting people back into fabrication, and less on relying on after market products today. i'm sold, i'm learning to weld, buying a welder and all that stuff. i'm hooked, save me.

anyway, what did you use to pry those suckers open ?

if someone could post some pictures of how this works i would be interested too.

soa12.jpg

open wraps on my front springs....done with a pry bar, slip-joint pliers, and some attitude. These are NOT bolted/sleeved since mine is 99% offroad use, but IMO it's a good idea to do it...

Here you can see the bottom pack has a bolt thru one of the 3 opened wraps...

rear0004.jpg

another....all these are off the suspension links in the tech section....

dcp00473.jpg

is that last pic the front of your rig? or am i crazy
i thought you'd do a shackle reversal.

do you want the 60 series spring swap for your writeup page, or is it too basic for that.

that last pic is someone else's 60

and YES, I'd love another writeup!!!

sic. it might be a month before i actually do the swap, i've got a hj45 i gotta get roadworthy for my little brother to start learning in, and the rego runs out in a month and a half. but i'll take photo's write lists of stuff to buy etc, then contact you.

it'll be good for me to contribute for once as aposed to asking the million questions.
thanks heaps man

this will work with sprung under suspension too?

thanks for the pics everyone...

helps with SOA and SUA alike...more droop, and less interleaf friction.

hey woody,couldnt help but notice the steering box on the outer side of the frame on the first pic. from what vehicle did that come from? doesnt it rub on big tires? coz i mite be able to get my hands one one if not similar to one of those.is it advisable to mount them that way? on the outer side of the frame that is? do i have to cut a big part off the fender? did u have to change the original shock towers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom