changing gear ratios. good? bad? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sounds like you just need to trade in your rig and get a honda civic

by the way... anyone know if mileage is significantly worse with 3-5 more inches in tire diameter?

Probably be slightly better, but not enough to notice. I'd go to 31s and keep it simple. For 33s you'll want to do a suspension lift. Do not try to cram stupid huge tires on with no other mods.

In case you had not noticed, these trucks get terrible fuel economy. It's best not to watch it as it just leads to disappointment and stress.

31 in

Brother , Everyone here is giving you some great advice but it sounds like your overthinking this :idea: Really just drive it. Take from me your going to get around 09 to 15 MPG, and your top speed and MPG will depend on you and your Cruiser. it might be happy at 64 MPH but the rattles and wind whissle's might have you driving 60 or less who knows :steer: Think of this 1967 FJ-45 stock 31 inch tires, drum brakes, 4:11 gears, Calif to Iowa and back 4100 miles and I wouldnt change a thing. Remember your driving one of if not thee Coolest , well built, factory 4x4's out there. A true American Classic imported from Japan

Last edited:
Brother , Everyone here is giving you some great advice but it sounds like your overthinking this :idea: Really just drive it. Take from me your going to get around 09 to 15 MPG, and your top speed and MPG will depend on you and your Cruiser. it might be happy at 64 MPH but the rattles and wind whissle's might have you driving 60 or less who knows :steer: Think of this 1967 FJ-45 stock 31 inch tires, drum brakes, 4:11 gears, Calif to Iowa and back 4100 miles and I wouldnt change a thing. Remember your driving one of if not thee Coolest , well built, factory 4x4's out there. A true American Classic imported from Japan

This is the man to listen to. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
Loved your article. Any chance of hearing about the return trip? :beer::beer::beer::beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom