changing fill plug on my transfer case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

g-man

SILVER Star
Threads
My transfer case fill plug hole is stripped. I noticed there is probably a 1/4 inch of good threads further in the hole that the plug can't reach. The plug is 18mm x 1.50 with about 1/2 inch of threads. I am unable to find a longer bolt in any hardware store. for now I have replaced the gasket with a thinner paper gasket so I can grab a few threads. I noticed that some 4x4 websites offer a magnetic round 10mm (female) hex head for replacing the axle housing drain plugs. But that plug is 24mm or at least the head is. Is there a 18mm plug I can order from toyota from a more modern vehicle that would be slightly longer...about 1/4 inch???
I do like the idea of the round thinner head and magnetic plug. I hate the thought of calling the dealership parts department and asking such a question. Those people usually can't answer a simple question!

Last edited:
This is the part number for the allen key plug with magnet that fits the differential, tc and transmission fill and drain plugs., but not sure if it is longer than the stock, or if it will fix your problem.

90341-18021

I found some 18mm X 1.50 automotive drain plugs at my local Do-It-Best hardware store. I was looking for 16mm X 1.50 plugs to plug the unneeded holes in my FJ60 water outlet housing and noticed the 18mm size in the adjacent bin.

Personally I wouldn't want to band-aid that stripped drain hole. If that happened to my transfer case, I'd remove the rear case & take it to a machine shop & have them make a proper fix whichever way they thought was best.

The OEM magnetic plug link'd above is about twice the length of the stock plug and will reach those end threads, HOWEVER, as OSS states, chances are good that those remaining threads will go, too. If you can't do a proper fix and if you install the magnetic plug, use a bunch of BLACK RTV and only torque to 10 ftlbs or so and wait overnight for RTV to cure before refilling. And check it once in a while.

I found a wine cork twisted into mine when I got my '85 FJ60 ... :hillbilly:

Happened on my transfer case a while back and my mate at Smart Automotive Solutions managed to fit a helicoil and new plug. I still put a dab of silicon on the thread when I refit it though.

I just replaced the fill and drains with the toyota parts

definitely wouldn't count on just a few threads at the rear of the opening

My transfer case drain plug wouldn't come out at first...used some Kroil a few times and let it soak..then came out properly....

good luck with yours..have it fixed properly..

Got this plug from wit's end today. Exactly what I needed. the plug does have about 1/4 inch more threads on it.

DSCN0015.JPG

DSCN0017.JPG

DSCN0018.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom