Changed my diff and T-case fluids last night. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

scottm

SILVER Star
Threads
71k on my '03 V6, bought it a year ago, slowly going through the fluids. Noticed a slight gear whine a few days ago. The diff fluids came out black and runny (cold), and the magnetic drain plugs were well caked with grey sludge. Flake of metal on the rear drain plug. The T-case was golden amber, and no magnet on that drain plug. Wonder if I can get one?

No trouble getting the plugs out. I ordered all the crush washers for every gearbox on both trucks from cDan, luxurious to have those going on. I filled with a clear tube on a gear-lube bottle, refilled from a five-gallon bucket. 80W-90 for everything, although 75W-90 is called for in the front diff and T-case. I don't think it'll hurt anything, certainly better than the old fluid that was in there.

No smoke or flames this morning, no gear noise, and I imagined that the truck ran smoother and quieter. It's possible that it did.

Same exact experience when I changed the fluids in my '04 GX. The T/C oil was so runny, I put the plug back in for a minute to make sure I had removed the correct plug. My mechanic buddy said fluids lose their viscosity as they wear out.
I always use a pump when refilling. They make them for quarts and gallons.
I've never found 75/90 so I use 80/90 too.
Peter

How many miles on that TC fluid? Mine was golden, thinner than new but not watery. Maybe it had been changed at some time before I bought it, it appears to have been well maintained with all OEM stuff.

I have a JackRabbit pump a bunch of people recommended, I forgot how much it sucked and tried it again. Ended up having to clean a bunch of gear oil out of the tubes and going back to the bottles with hose stuck on the nipple. What kind of pump did you run? I'd probably do this more often if I had a better pump. Although it'd be nice not having to clean out a pump and hoses.

the diffs always have darker oil than the t-case because the t-case sees less wear. the rear diff is always being used, front spins in 2wd and 4wd, and the only time the t-case has to really work is in 4low. yes the t-case is used in 2wd and 4high but it is at a 1:1 ratio and that is easier on the t-case so the fluid comes out cleaner. 80w-90 is just fine, thats what we use at the shop.

Scott
I'd guess you can get a magnetic plug from Toyota. That's where I'd try first.
I changed my T/C fluid at 90K. No idea if it was the original fluid but it was nasty.
I disagree that the T/C sees less wear. Feel it after a drive in high range only. It will be hot.
Peter

It'll be a while before I change the T-case fluid again, I'll see if I remember to get a magnetic plug. The fill plug is the same, so maybe I'll think about it when I check the fluid and measure the fill plug.

Changed front and rear diff's oil today along with transfer case. Also lubed the driveshaft joints. Had to obtain crush gaskets at both Toyota and Lexus, must have been a run on them. All went well and your previous posts helped alot, thanks guys! Also found an a/c filter at wallyworld and a set of new Michelin m/s 2's at Sears. Doing my part to help the economy.:cheers:

I had cDan toss in every crush washer for both my trucks on my last order, feels good to use fresh washers on everything. Probably should've gotten a stack of oil pan washers with the oil filters. But I did run across a bag of crush washers from my 80, probably some correct size washers in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom