Chainsaw blade sharpening (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My brother like his Harbor Freight sharpener, says it's the best $30 he's ever spent. I still use a file and eyeball. Never seen that 2 in 1 before.

I just bought this: Timberline Chainsaw Chain Sharpener | Timberline Filing Guides | Chain Filing Guides | www.baileysonline.com

Ive only used it twice but it works great. It takes less time to sharpen the chain on the saw than it does to swap it out on my stupid Husky that I bought while having a brainfart after numerous Stilhs.

Well that is what I helped a friend sharpen some blades with, very cool gadget and it got me thinking I should look for something a little better than the old file I have. Didn't know so many options existed but when a new blade costs as much as they do, I don't want to mess them up.

and all this time I thought I was doing fine with my files... geez... gotta get with the times it seems...

I look after about a dozen saw's used for rescue purposes and added the 2in1 to every saw kit (easy to use for the dumb dumbs and does a good job)

I have an outdoor gasifier furnace for heat and hot water that I run in the winter so I cut and split ~7-8 cords of wood every year from Jan-March and I use the dremel tool for sharpening my saw. The only issue I've ever had with it was learning to sharpen the blade evenly on both sides.

I'm kind of a forum whore ... here is the Forestry forum I check on for info concerning my saws and wood furnace

Stihl 2 and 1 Sharpener

I'm a fan of hand filing and can get it done very quickly. I use the old style Stihl file holder and then use, periodically, a husqvarna raker depth gauge to get a proper angle between the cutting edge and it's raker. Filing the raker is critical and will get your chain to cut like a new 1, just like it came out the box. You can go to the Arborsite forum and then go to the Hot Saw section. There is a lengthy sticky thread about sharpening chains. BobL goes into depth on sharpening chains, along with his results. He gets pretty anal about raker depths. Me, not as much, The husky depth gauge gets me close quickly without using an angle finder. It seems to give me real good results. It's very enlightening thread on getting your chain sharp.

At first I tried the cheap harbor freight sharpener. It will get your chain sharp, but only marginally so. Once I learned to sharpen a chain properly by hand, I found it is easier and just about as quick as using an electric sharpener.

Last edited:
Decided to go with the 2 in 1, easiest to just pick up and use with the best results.

I just bought this: Timberline Chainsaw Chain Sharpener | Timberline Filing Guides | Chain Filing Guides | www.baileysonline.com

Ive only used it twice but it works great. It takes less time to sharpen the chain on the saw than it does to swap it out on my stupid Husky that I bought while having a brainfart after numerous Stilhs.
Yes I am also using this and it works fine for me ....although when I am worried about to buy the perfect one, obviously I am facing some budget issue but still in a reasonable budget I got this I am not so expert but I assured you that it works fine and the edges is sharp after 3 months of regular use.

One bit of advice is to make certain you have the right diameter file that the manufacturer recommends for that blade. After you get it sharp, don’t hit the dirt!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom