Center Diff lock not engaging after transfer case removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone. A mechanic and i pulled out transfer case and replaced front seal and bearings which are located in the front nose of the transfer case and put it back and H-N-L works but center diff lock is not engaging when i oress the button... We took the diff lock motor apart before putting back the front nose that must have something to do witj? Wires and everything is ok. Im guessing when we put back the center diff motor we missed aomething to adjust??

Not much to offer without more detail. I'd pull the motor and then have someone run the button to make sure it's working to start with.

I could find no information on the 100 series diff lock motor.
There is information on the 80 series motor, but it is a different design so you have to extrapolate quite a bit.
Getting the "magic" spring in correctly is the secret. Don't know if I have any notes or photos from when I was crazy enough to crack it open.
I will take a look. It was trial and error with testing it off the t-case until I figured it out.
Might be quicker to get a used one from a junk yard.

Also sometimes the diff lock engages when you roll you vehicle front a little.. is the VSC light coming on?

Hello everyone. A mechanic and i pulled out transfer case and replaced front seal and bearings which are located in the front nose of the transfer case and put it back and H-N-L works but center diff lock is not engaging when i oress the button... We took the diff lock motor apart before putting back the front nose that must have something to do witj? Wires and everything is ok. Im guessing when we put back the center diff motor we missed aomething to adjust??

Im sure you know but just incase, sometimes it takes driving straight for a while before it kicks in.

Thanks guys, but i did reverse, drive forward turned the wheels and drove for a while nothing. Lights dont come on as well as no clicking sound when i press the center diff lock button. Must have missed something while assembling back.

Thanks guys, but i did reverse, drive forward turned the wheels and drove for a while nothing. Lights dont come on as well as no clicking sound when i press the center diff lock button. Must have missed something while assembling back.

Are there any fuses that might be blown?

Been there. The CDL actuator needs to be installed in the locked position. With the actuator off the truck (and still plugged in), you can press the button to lock it and then turn the truck off.

In addition to that, there's a gear inside the case that the CDL motor engages—you'll have to push that as far rearward as possible before bolting the actuator back on. IIRC the shaft is PS and on the top. It should be easy to picture with the actuator off and in your hand.

When you push that gear in, you should feel when it engages or "bottoms out" on its shaft. When I had mine apart, the transfer case was still mounted, so it was a lot of feeling around in the dark and pushing that little gear with my fingers. PITA to access all the bolts, but it's doable with the transfer hanging as low as you dare. (Have someone keep an eye on your fan shroud.)

I'm assuming you didn't take the actuator itself apart.

Edit: found a picture. The "little gear" above is the Output gear. Looking at the diagram, it may be that instead you have to turn the gear to get it to lock, not slide it on the shaft. It's definitely one of the two...sorry, but I'm kind of dumb even on a good day. I just can't remember.

Image 9-14-20 at 8.05 PM.jpg

Hey thanks guys. Apparently my actuator motor is not working. Took it apart from the transfer case and tried pushing the buttons nothing happens. Button wires are looking fine, the wire and plug near the actuater is fine, a Fuse labelled DiFF was blown but replaced and tested nothing happens rechekd the new fuse and it is fine too. The repairman checked the electrity at the wire plug that connects to actuater but no electricity after the key is on. But getting electricity at the fuse box labelled Diff. What could be the cause? Diff lock button was forking fine until we replaced the tranfer case front seal and reassembled it back....

Check for damage to wiring harness. The cen diff controller is pretty robust. Wiring diagram below.
cen diff wire.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom