CBR Power Steering Pump options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Love the thread, thanks for doing this. I have a gen5 5.3 that I used an LSX Innovations power steering mount on. They require:

"Uses 1997-2002 Corvette power steering pump, and Dorman 300-301 Power steering pulley only"

The 97 Vette pump looks very similar to what you are using but the outlet and inlet are clocked different. I need to find a pump the clocks them both in the same direction for packaging and to run AN lines. The pulley part number might work for you though if you don't already have one on your bench.

Your Corvette pump probably looks a lot like the dirty TC pump on the left in post #38. I tapped the pump housing for 1/2 NPT, so you can point the return wherever you want. The pump on the 2016-19 Sierra/Silverado has the pressure outlet on opposite sides depending on whether it’s for a diesel or gas.
I already found a pulley that will work for me, besides the TV
Love the thread, thanks for doing this. I have a gen5 5.3 that I used an LSX Innovations power steering mount on. They require:

"Uses 1997-2002 Corvette power steering pump, and Dorman 300-301 Power steering pulley only"

The 97 Vette pump looks very similar to what you are using but the outlet and inlet are clocked different. I need to find a pump the clocks them both in the same direction for packaging and to run AN lines. The pulley part number might work for you though if you don't already have one on your bench.

2016-2019 Sierra/Silverado 2500/3500, choose one for a gas or a diesel and the pressure outlet will will be on opposite sides depending on what motor is was for. Should be a nice upgrade over your Corvette TC pump.
I already have a pulley that will work for me, the offset is different for the new pump and the older TC pump like you have anyways.

This is great info at a good time for me too. I’m going to build my own pump and alternator brackets and have to determine which pulleys to use on the crank and water pump.

For what engine and on what vehicle? It’s hard to beat the GM setup they did a nice job keeping it compact, strong and simple.

I ended up getting one of the 2016+ Silverado pumps, it's similar but the bolt holes are not drilled through and I have to bolt through the entire pump for the bracket I have. I'll have to look at the reservoir and output clocking and see if it's worth drilling it, or just returning it to rockauto.

@nukegoat drilled his and didn’t hurt anything

I ended up getting one of the 2016+ Silverado pumps, it's similar but the bolt holes are not drilled through and I have to bolt through the entire pump for the bracket I have. I'll have to look at the reservoir and output clocking and see if it's worth drilling it, or just returning it to rockauto.
You can't drill the non opposing hole. Only the opposings. Supposedly

Any updates?

I ran the pump (LS3 Camaro, but $50 new on eBay, highly suspected of being a strange knockoff copy) that I modded for remote reservoir use and posted pictures of on the last page for like a month from January to February, it made a bunch of noise at all RPMs all the time, and I swapped it out for used low mileage pump off a wrecked 2018 Duramax that appeared to be the same other then the reservoir. I modded that one slightly differently. I'll post pics later. It's been working fine on the street but I'm still getting the same noise and hot fluid in the rocks. I'm rebuilding a different box now and adding hydroassist.

It's still unclear as to wether these are the same pump that PSC sells as a CBR pump or not. I tried acquiring information on flow and pressures from Nexsteer (the company that designs and manufactures these pumps for GM) by posing as a upfitter for specialized swampland construction agency that was looking to upgrade a fleet of two hundred Silverados to run 37" Boggers but was unsuccessful, they saw through my ploy

Last edited:
Maybe the return is to small and has a 90 in it, drill that port out as much as you can then tap the area where the fitting is recessed for 3/4 IIRC might be able to get a 7/8 in there

I used this same approach with a brand new acdelco pump for a 2017 duramax, and everything seems to work fine, but when i increase the rpm i get a loud rattle.

My setup used a 3/4" MNPT x -10 AN straight fitting and then a 150° Long sweep an fitting Vibrant Performance Push-On Hose End Fittings 22510
I've been continuing to try and bleed the system hoping that it was just air, but I am loosing hope.

I used this same approach with a brand new acdelco pump for a 2017 duramax, and everything seems to work fine, but when i increase the rpm i get a loud rattle.

My setup used a 3/4" MNPT x -10 AN straight fitting and then a 150° Long sweep an fitting Vibrant Performance Push-On Hose End Fittings 22510
I've been continuing to try and bleed the system hoping that it was just air, but I am loosing hope.

A rattle sound like a internal pump issue.

What engine and pulley size are you using? FWIW my most recent issue involved the truck being wedged sideways in a valley with the tires and suspension bound up, one tire was in a hole, leaf spring inverted, etc not the best opportunity for a regular power steering setup to shine

A rattle sound like a internal pump issue.

What engine and pulley size are you using? FWIW my most recent issue involved the truck being wedged sideways in a valley with the tires and suspension bound up, one tire was in a hole, leaf spring inverted, etc not the best opportunity for a regular power steering setup to shine

I have an explorer 5.0 and used the Dorman 300-301 which is 5-5/16 OD. My other though is where I tapped the pump 3/4 Npt is weeping slightly. I wonder if it could be sucking air when rev'ed up. The rattle seems to start about 1500rpm.

I was getting bubbles in the reservoir every time I shut off the engine. I epoxied the ps pump npt tapped inlet and the bubbles stopped.

Here is a video of the sound I'm getting. Is this similar to your's Matt?

After finding and reading this I believe there is a ton of good information here. But I'm still confused. I have a 2006 5.3 ... any firm part numbers or fitments to source the pump pulley and bracket?

After finding and reading this I believe there is a ton of good information here. But I'm still confused. I have a 2006 5.3 ... any firm part numbers or fitments to source the pump pulley and bracket?

The bracket is alternator/pump bracket is GM 12567922. It is on pretty much all late-model (2011-up) GM trucks/Vans that have a V8. Should be commonly found new for about $100.
I used a odd pulley for a completely different application because it was a little bit smaller. I had to make the spacer for it to work because the offset was different. I will try to dig up this info if you want but I do not believe it is really that necessary anymore. You should be able to just use the late model pump/pulley and have everything fit together with a off the shelf belt. The issue that comes up is if you want it set up for remote reservoir.

Last edited:
looking back through this I never posted installed pictures.

Here is is with the tapped NPT setup. Clearence was tight but it fit fine.

b0f2de963250483abe2dab551e1658de.jpeg
d9d87a07c0314a868948e02b41721816.jpeg

As I mentioned back in May that pump was bad out of the box. I got a low-mileage OEM pump from a wrecked 2019 and tried something different. Now this is SUPER hokey but it actually has worked fine and has not leaked a drop since I installed it in May.
It's a 10AN push-lok 90 that I cut the threaded swivel fitting off of, put an O-ring in the groove where swivel fitting rotated in, and just jammed it in the pump with a quick hold down I cut out of aluminum sheet. The only mod to the pump was the two M6 holes I tapped into the pump. So there's two solutions for convertion these to remote reservoir, pick how sketchy you want to get.

04a9cfac6d924c8eaaf84fae67c04374.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom