CB/Ham radio question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I don’t have a unit picked out yet and honestly don’t know a lot about either one. I do know that I want to put some sort of car to car comms on my truck and don’t want just crappy hand helds. I currently have the entire interior ripped out for new carpet and seats being reupholstered. I installed a new sound system and ran all the wires so they will be under the carpet and new padding. I want to run the antenna wire now under the carpet (from the dash to the rear) for an actual radio installation later once I’ve done proper research on the actual radios and antennas. From what I’m reading I should go with RG-8X coaxial cable. I just want to confirm that this is the best cable (for practical purposes) and that it will work with both a CB or a Ham system so that I can choose either one when the time comes. I found 50’ of it on amazon for $32. Anyone have a better idea or input as to why this is not a good plan? Thanks.

Well, start from here.

ham 1.PNG

I have seen these go for as low as $650 used, if you don't mind used. I have had one mobile and you will need to find a way to mount the control. When they came out I thought they were Butt Ugly and somehow ended up with 3 of them (one for another ham who has yet to get with me). I don't do DStar or any other digital voice mode but DStar is built in.

Larry in El Paso

I appreciate your replys and will certainly look into those soon. My question for today, however, is regarding the coax from the radio to the antenna since I want to pre-run it now while my interior is being completely replaced so I can run the coax under the carpet.

Is the RG-8X coax cable the best choice and will it work for both ham and CB operation? Thank you again for the input.

RG-8X will work for low power ham and CB. I would keep the coax out of high foot traffic areas and try to keep it on the edge of the carpet. It will be easier to install the coax with the connector off if that is an option for you.

Larry in El Paso

Sounds good, thanks. I was able to get in touch with my local ham radio club and they are walking me through the process. Thanks again to everyone.

I bought one years ago when I put a CB in my car. I still have it, but I have to see if it works for ham. You say to get one that covers the frequency my radio operates at so maybe it’s only good for a CB band. I haven’t looked at it in years, I need to go dig it up. Thank you.

I bought one years ago when I put a CB in my car. I still have it, but I have to see if it works for ham. You say to get one that covers the frequency my radio operates at so maybe it’s only good for a CB band. I haven’t looked at it in years, I need to go dig it up. Thank you.

Most of the cb SWR meters sold as such are cheap junk, in my experience. Even if they weren't, cb ~ 11 meters wavelength, so your cb meter would be unlikely to be useful on any ham band except possibly 10 meters, which not a lot of people run mobile.

If you're going to be in the hobby, or install more than one antenna ever, you'd be better off buying a decent antenna analyzer that is selectable for most ham bands. You can pick a used up for less than new.

I don’t have a unit picked out yet and honestly don’t know a lot about either one. I do know that I want to put some sort of car to car comms on my truck and don’t want just crappy hand helds. I currently have the entire interior ripped out for new carpet and seats being reupholstered. I installed a new sound system and ran all the wires so they will be under the carpet and new padding. I want to run the antenna wire now under the carpet (from the dash to the rear) for an actual radio installation later once I’ve done proper research on the actual radios and antennas. From what I’m reading I should go with RG-8X coaxial cable. I just want to confirm that this is the best cable (for practical purposes) and that it will work with both a CB or a Ham system so that I can choose either one when the time comes. I found 50’ of it on amazon for $32. Anyone have a better idea or input as to why this is not a good plan? Thanks.

The RG-8X will work fine. Kenwood, Yaesu , and Icom all make great dual band (2m and 440) radios for around $350. You will need a dual band antenna as well. If you just want one ham band buy a 2m radio. You can get a good one for less than $200.

If you get in touch with your local amateur radio club. They will gladly help tune your antenna.

The RG-8X will work fine. Kenwood, Yaesu , and Icom all make great dual band (2m and 440) radios for around $350. You will need a dual band antenna as well. If you just want one ham band buy a 2m radio. You can get a good one for less than $200.

If you get in touch with your local amateur radio club. They will gladly help tune your antenna.

Yep, they suggested a pretty good beginner radio and on Amazon I was able to get it as a kit that had an antenna, radio, trunklid mount and all wiring necessary for $166 delivered. I certainly might upgrade later on down the road but I think it was a great idea to get my feet wet without spending $300-$500 right up front.

What I got was a TYT TH-8600. I checked reviews and they were generally very positive keeping in mind the budget price. I already ran the power wiring and the antenna and am just waiting for the center cosole to come back from the upholstery shop to mount the radio in the center console storage area. Haven’t found another mounting location in my 100 that I like.

So, is the SWR really dependent on the frequency? I am working on my license and the formula for SWR/VSWR isn't factoring in any frequency.

Its just about P and U.

So, is the SWR really dependent on the frequency? I am working on my license and the formula for SWR/VSWR isn't factoring in any frequency.

Its just about P and U.

SWR measures the impedance matching of your antenna and the transmitter. And impedance of your antenna varies with frequency.

SWR measures the impedance matching of your antenna and the transmitter. And impedance of your antenna varies with frequency.

SWR measures the matching, correct. Not the impedance itself. No matter wether you have a 50, 60, 75 Ohms antenna, the ratio is always the same, because it is the ratio of outgoing to ingoing power/voltage. As this ratio is independent from frequencies, I still don't see the reason for using a different SWR meter for CB or 2m, or 70cm.

You are correct about swr not measuring impedance directly. But power delivered to antenna and reflected back depends on impedance, so there is a frequency dependence.

You are correct about swr not measuring impedance directly. But power delivered to antenna and reflected back depends on impedance, so there is a frequency dependence.

I ain't questioning this. I question the need for a different SWR meter ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom