CB/Ham radio question

I don’t have a unit picked out yet and honestly don’t know a lot about either one. I do know that I want to put some sort of car to car comms on my truck and don’t want just crappy hand helds. I currently have the entire interior ripped out for new carpet and seats being reupholstered. I installed a new sound system and ran all the wires so they will be under the carpet and new padding. I want to run the antenna wire now under the carpet (from the dash to the rear) for an actual radio installation later once I’ve done proper research on the actual radios and antennas. From what I’m reading I should go with RG-8X coaxial cable. I just want to confirm that this is the best cable (for practical purposes) and that it will work with both a CB or a Ham system so that I can choose either one when the time comes. I found 50’ of it on amazon for $32. Anyone have a better idea or input as to why this is not a good plan? Thanks.

WB8LBZ

GOLD Star
SILVER Star
I have seen these go for as low as $650 used, if you don't mind used. I have had one mobile and you will need to find a way to mount the control. When they came out I thought they were Butt Ugly and somehow ended up with 3 of them (one for another ham who has yet to get with me). I don't do DStar or any other digital voice mode but DStar is built in.

Larry in El Paso

I appreciate your replys and will certainly look into those soon. My question for today, however, is regarding the coax from the radio to the antenna since I want to pre-run it now while my interior is being completely replaced so I can run the coax under the carpet.

Is the RG-8X coax cable the best choice and will it work for both ham and CB operation? Thank you again for the input.

WB8LBZ

GOLD Star
SILVER Star
RG-8X will work for low power ham and CB. I would keep the coax out of high foot traffic areas and try to keep it on the edge of the carpet. It will be easier to install the coax with the connector off if that is an option for you.

Larry in El Paso

Sounds good, thanks. I was able to get in touch with my local ham radio club and they are walking me through the process. Thanks again to everyone.

Kofoed

When you buy your radio, also buy an SWR analyzer that covers the particular frequency your radio(s) operate at.

I bought one years ago when I put a CB in my car. I still have it, but I have to see if it works for ham. You say to get one that covers the frequency my radio operates at so maybe it’s only good for a CB band. I haven’t looked at it in years, I need to go dig it up. Thank you.

Top Bottom