CB, Ham or 10meter? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It's been some years since I had a CB in a truck of mine. With some upcoming trips planned I've decide it would be nice to have some form of communication to others on the road, especially truckers. In my research I find there arre 10 meter radios modified to use CB frequencies. What are my options (legal or otherwise) when buying a radio for use in the CB mode. What's the purpose of 10 meter radios? I understand the purpose of a Ham radio. I know this isn't a LC question directly but many of us have CB's.

Most popular for car to car coms is CB when out wheeling/highway. For USA overlanding and expedition type folks, we generally use 2 meter. You need a tech license for that. 10 meter requires general (if i remember correctly , its been a while). And no truckers that im aware of run 10 meter. Maybe your thinking something else? Oh and its not legal to run ANYTHING modified. Even though your license allows you to transmit on several bands, that doesnt mean you can modify the radio to transmit on them. Whatever they're manufactured for is what you're "supposed" to run on. In other words, if you have a commercial license to run a commercial band, you can't modify your mobile radio in your 4x4 to talk on that freq and vice versa. Kind of hard to explain. If you wan to be able to talk to Truckers just buy a CB and hop in channel 19.

Anything specifically about 80 series tech?

Some truckers do modify 10 meter radios to talk on 11 meters (CB) so they can get more trnasmit power. However to me it sounds like you are just looking for road and traffic updates so stick with a good CB radio. Your antenna will give you the most bang for the buck performance wise but some CBs have better options than others. I personally like CBs with upper and lower sideband. The WX advisory channel option on some CBs also gives you more road condition info.

well, we started with a CB in our truck. Then most of the group went to 2m. While some still had CB's in their rigs, we could quickly see the advantage of 2m. The test is easy and very inexpensive. We still keep the CB in the truck for those local trips with friends who have CB only. Our primary communication on landcruiser trips however is via 2m. I honestly have thought of removing the CB from the truck.

Ham vs CB

Sparky -
I think you will find the 2-meter more useful, especially as you stray from populated areas and cell phone signals. Mobile units have up to 75 watts of power, which is an improvement over the CB. The technician level also allows limited use of the High Frequency bands (6, 10, 40 and 80 meters) which increases your range to hundreds (thousands) of miles. The USA is covered with 2 meter repeaters, and with a little planning, you can keep in touch with the home base even when cell phone signals are but a memory. Being able to hit a repeater 120 miles away on a recent miss-adventure saved me from a long walk. Simplex (line of sight) range can be extensive as well, depending upon the topography. If you already have a CB in the truck, you'll find that you use it less and less.

Check out the ARRL website:

ARRL | Licensing, Education & Training | Getting on the Air

The technician test is easy, and most local Ham clubs offer "ham-cram" sessions.

Practice exams here: QRZ Ham Radio

A recent band use plan is attached. Good luck and enjoy your air-time.
KF7HHV signing off.

Attachments

• Band Chart Color May 2008.pdf
    288.9 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
The 10 meter radio is an amateur radio modded to operate on 11 meter (cb) ,aka an "export" radio. The reason they do this, is because some radios can put out up to 400 watts, plus they have more features than your average cb. This is very much against the FCC rules, respect to both the power output and the modified radio. Will you get in trouble? Very remote.

If you want to devote the time to obtain your tech license, I don't think you will be disapointed in a basic 2 meter fm radio....

Honestly, we as a community still need both radios as the switch to HAM radio is slowly happening. I still use both radios and sometimes three radios (FRS thrown in there) on trail rides. Juggling three radios is a royal PITA but I think it's important to keep everyone abreast. Taking a stance on just picking a HAM radio will isolate you somewhat from the masses.

Lots of truckers are using 2M radios to hit the local repeaters as they swing through our state. They are professional, courteous and so far I have nothing to complain about. It's a great way to hear the traffic and weather reports first hand.

I have 2M and CB in my trucks, for the same reasons Ali mentioned.

From my experience with truckers on CB I'd rather pass on any information they might have than listen to them.

yup agree with ali and corbet (and general consensus). gotta have both (luckily CB is CHEAP and easy). but i actually leave the antenna on my 2m off the trail :D i spent more on my 2m/70cm antenna & mount for my mobile setup than i did on my ENTIRE CB system (and if you buy a CB, PLEASE buy a SWR meter, or get it tuned somewhere, EVERYONE will thank you. i picked up my CB swr meter at a ham swap for 5$) com clarity is beautiful in ham, makes CB sound like distorted tin cans...

you can buy allllll kinds of ham flavors... (biting my lip for jokes, must, resist, someone, carry the, torch! :bang:) i started with a used Yaesu vx-5 HT which is great for trail com with "jump in any rig and go" convenience once i got my tech ticket (which is easy). you just won't have the range out in the boonies of a 50W+ mobile rig. i have recently bought a mobile rig, but only cuz the toy itch was killing me. for convoy run com the 5W on my HT and rubber ducky in the cab still sounded good and reaches farther than CB.

just my .002$ YMMV

-john

Last edited:
The 10 meter radio is an amateur radio modded to operate on 11 meter (cb) ,aka an "export" radio. The reason they do this, is because some radios can put out up to 400 watts, plus they have more features than your average cb. This is very much against the FCC rules, respect to both the power output and the modified radio. Will you get in trouble? Very remote.

If you want to devote the time to obtain your tech license, I don't think you will be disapointed in a basic 2 meter fm radio....

Very correct, and trouble follows even if very remote.
Before the

Federal Communications Commission

Washington, D.C. 20554

In the Matter of ) File Number: EB-07-DV-058

CB Shop & More, LLLP ) NAL/Acct. No.: 200732800008

Loveland, Colorado ) FRN: 0016797623

FORFEITURE ORDER

Adopted: March 19, 2008 Released: March 21, 2008

By the Regional Director, Western Region, Enforcement Bureau:

I. INTRODUCTION

1. In this Forfeiture Order ("Order"), we issue a monetary forfeiture in
the amount of seven thousand dollars ($7,000) to CB Shop & More, LLLP
("CB Shop"), in Loveland, Colorado, for willful and repeated
violations of Section 302(b) of the Communications Act of 1934, as
amended ("Act"), and Section 2.803(a)(1) of the Commission's Rules
("Rules"). On August 28, 2007, the Enforcement Bureau's Denver Office
issued a Notice of Apparent Liability for Forfeiture ("NAL") to CB
Shop after determining that CB Shop offered for sale a non-certified
Citizens Band ("CB") transceiver. In this Order, we consider CB Shop's
argument that the CB transceiver at issue did not require Commission
certification.
The entire transcript can be viewed here.

Use either one responsibly. Both have their purpose. Both have rules to follow so that the ability to use them is not lost.

I prefer Amateur Radio, but they're all radio waves. Best thing to do is do your homework and get an antenna that works good (notice I didn't say "best" or "costs the most"). A good CB with a really well matched antenna and feedline could outperform a poorly setup 2M rig with a poorly functioning antenna.

A good CB with a really well matched antenna and feedline could outperform a poorly setup 2M rig with a poorly functioning antenna.

This is the most important point regarding setting up a radio comm device. Antenna installation and proper coax usage and routing will do WONDERS for your CB install. Well said.

well Ive run CB in all my car's/truck's and spent alot on them, ( got a $200 CB with uper/lower sidebands 120" whip its a good CB ) but just got a 2meter off Ebay for $120, and a antenna from radio shack spent $40 and wow what a radio, now to get license!!

well Ive run CB in all my car's/truck's and spent alot on them, ( got a $200 CB with uper/lower sidebands 120" whip its a good CB ) but just got a 2meter off Ebay for $120, and a antenna from radio shack spent $40 and wow what a radio, now to get license!!

good luck! let the adventure begin! tech test is pretty easy... haven't tried the general yet, but its on my list for SnG's

:beer:

^ you know they change the bank of questions this May i think, im studyin for my tech at the moment

This isn't entirely correct from a technical standpoint. A 10 meter is a 10 meter radio plain and simple. It's not a radio "modded" to operate on 11 meters, or an export radio, it's just a radio that "can" be modified to operate in the 11 meter band. A properly licensed operator can walk down to his local radio shop and buy a 10 meter radio, no export required. :)

Many 10 meter radios can be easily modified to operate in the 11 mtr band, have better power output, better features such as frequencey diplays vs "channels", etc, but being modified is not a prerequisite of being a 10 meter radio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom