Catch it in your Can!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone on here run a catch can on their turbo diesel?

I've noticed some oil around the intake and thought I might need one. I haven't pulled the turbo to intake hose to see if there is oil in there yet?

Any opinions bout catch cans?

Cheers,

Gav.

Hey Mate,
i just installed an oil catch can on my hdj81 cruiser and it was super easy.
The hardest part was tracking one down, and after about a week of calling all sorts of parts places, i resorted to ebay; super cheap and fast delivery.
I noticed a little bit of oil residue coming from my intake manifold and checked out the breather line going into the intake and sure enough there was a small film left on the tubing. So in place i rigged in the catch can.
Easy install and so far it works..i think...
Hard to tell until i put some km's behind the truck.
Let me know if you need pics..
Where are you located?
Cheers

Hey Mate,
i just installed an oil catch can on my hdj81 cruiser and it was super easy.
The hardest part was tracking one down, and after about a week of calling all sorts of parts places, i resorted to ebay; super cheap and fast delivery.
I noticed a little bit of oil residue coming from my intake manifold and checked out the breather line going into the intake and sure enough there was a small film left on the tubing. So in place i rigged in the catch can.
Easy install and so far it works..i think...
Hard to tell until i put some km's behind the truck.
Let me know if you need pics..
Where are you located?
Cheers

Got a link to what you bought off eBay? I was thinking just a breather that looks like a tiny cone air filter.

Thanks

Hi Steve,

Could you post a link to the ebay catch can you got?
I have heard of seals being blown in the turbo/engine if the inlet on the can is to small. Not sure if this could happen. Have you heard this?

I'm in Bendigo, Vic, Australia. Probably a fair way away from you. Be good to find some 13B-T Cruiser nuts round here tho. Pretty rare Land Cruiser in these parts. Plenty of 60's, 70's, 80's and so on.

Pics would be good mate. Might help other people to.

Cheers:beer:

Gav.

Does the 13BT recirculate the blowby back into the inlet? My 3B doesn't. It has a metal pipe atttached running to the bottom of the block and then there is a hose attached running down the chassis rail stopping it from rusting.

I wouldn't mind running an oil/air separator but I think if you got the kind that needs to be emptied I would have to empty it quite regularly. I'd rather get a catch can thats tapped at the bottom and then run it back into the sump or tap into the vaccum pump drain hose. Then run the oil separated air back into the engine post airfilter or attach a hose and mount it high in the engine bay with a filter on top.

I'll be interested in what you decide and where you mount it.

Any ideas on how big the can needs to be? I saw some that were 400cc. I betting thats to small though.

Cheers.

The can and the piping needs to be large enough so it isn't restrictive. If it is restrictive to the crankcase vapours then it will pressurize. So if your PCV tube from the crankcase is 1/2" hose, then you can be pretty sure that the 1/4 hose/pipe which came with your ebay catch can (usually designed for gas engines) will be too small. If the filtering media in the can is too restrictive, it will also cause the system to pressurize. You don't need it to act like a fine particle filter. All you need is it to condense the oil out of the crankcase vapours. Some people have even used an compressed air inline oil seperator:

Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum - View Single Post - Catch can/breather options

Thanks for the info.

That supplier is pretty close to me. it wont be hard to pick up one of those.

Cheers mate, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I'm planning to build one from pvc... thinking to use about a foot of 2" pvc, stuffed gently with some steel wool or similar. I'll run the hose from the valve cover to the middle of pvc pipe (T, I guess) then have the air exit the top of the pipe (elbow) back to the intake hose (where it goes now).

add a plug @ the bottom for draining. Should allow it to catch quite a bit of oil without needing to drain it. If it doesn't catch oil, it won't hurt anything. Should cost.... bout $5 I guess. The pvc I've got laying around, the T, and the elbow, also. Just need a bushing from 2" to 1/2" or whatever the PCV hose is, and a barbed connector and 2 hose clamps. Oh, and something steel-wool ish.

I can just drill/tap a plug in the bottom.

The can and the piping needs to be large enough so it isn't restrictive. If it is restrictive to the crankcase vapours then it will pressurize. So if your PCV tube from the crankcase is 1/2" hose, then you can be pretty sure that the 1/4 hose/pipe which came with your ebay catch can (usually designed for gas engines) will be too small. If the filtering media in the can is too restrictive, it will also cause the system to pressurize. You don't need it to act like a fine particle filter. All you need is it to condense the oil out of the crankcase vapours. Some people have even used an compressed air inline oil seperator:

Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum - View Single Post - Catch can/breather options

I installed an aftermarket catch can on my N/A 2L engine yesterday (I put in some mesh inside the can to catch the oil too). I test ran my vehicle today for 30 minutes—had to drop off the mother-in-law to the mall. When I got back home my engine's valve cover was covered in oil. Then I realized the OEM intake was using 1/2" tubing. My catch can only had 1/4" intake valves. This caused back pressure coming from the valve cover up to the intake. Good thing the pressurized oil only squirted from the oil cap. Guess I should've read this first.

I'd still keep the catch can though. But I'd replace the intake valves to match the hose to remove the back pressure.

Too late for me, but this post is very helpful. Thanks a lot.

The Provent sure is nice, and the lack of billet aluminium etc. just makes it all the better. Love the factory/proffesional/utilitarian look.

I got the nicest tin can I could find and some wire, done.. The odd drip goes right into it, not on my driveway... Pretty easy to empty as well.. Been on my truck for several years...

Hey was just a thought could you run it strait into your exhaust, near the turbo .So it comes out of your engine and never goes back into it, it shouldn't be enough oil to make it smoke. I've seen it on petrols. But never on diesels

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RED-TURBO-O...s&fits=Make:Honda&hash=item460dcf5909&vxp=mtr

This seems good for the price, and it has some tubing so you can see how much oil is in the can, only it does look a little large: Dimensions: 6.25" x 3.25" x 3.25"

$T2eC16V,!zcE9s4g3MFHBQP-MIhetg~~60_57.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RED-TURBO-O...s&fits=Make:Honda&hash=item460dcf5909&vxp=mtr

This seems good for the price, and it has some tubing so you can see how much oil is in the can, only it does look a little large: Dimensions: 6.25" x 3.25" x 3.25"

That is the kind I bought. Not a bad piece, but has no filter media inside of it. I've been meaning to put some stainless mesh in mine, but I keep having nightmares of a piece of stainless traveling through the outlet of the catch can into my turbo and engine. Even without mesh, it seems to be stopping most of the gunk from getting into my engine though.

SAM_0006.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom