Catch it in your Can!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice install...great looking catch too. :)
Provent on a 1hd-ft
Mounted on the side off the air cleaner, Air cleaner lid changed to a 1hdt lid to get the inlet on the correct side.
Hose's are now sealed with adhesive shrink tube.
Not plumbed back to the motor.
30 ml of condensate is drained off at oil change.
DSCF0643.jpg

DSCF0476_zps30127158.jpg

Hamo

That is the kind I bought. Not a bad piece, but has no filter media inside of it. I've been meaning to put some stainless mesh in mine, but I keep having nightmares of a piece of stainless traveling through the outlet of the catch can into my turbo and engine. Even without mesh, it seems to be stopping most of the gunk from getting into my engine though.

SAM_0006.jpg
Hello,
Was your intake compeltely dry after installing the catch can? I recently deleted the EGR, cleaned the intake and installed a Pro Vent catch can but i am still getting oil in the intake more than ever before. Its very viscous looks like a lot of moisture is getting mixed with the oil. Can i vent the can to atmosphere without it having a negative effect on crank case pressure? The way i see it the intake acts as a vacuum to keep the pressure out of the crankcase so if i vent it to atmosphere it would create more back pressure in the crank case thus putting more strain on seals. please correct me if i am wrong.

Thank you
BTW you have a very clean bay

Hello,
Was your intake compeltely dry after installing the catch can? I recently deleted the EGR, cleaned the intake and installed a Pro Vent catch can but i am still getting oil in the intake more than ever before. Its very viscous looks like a lot of moisture is getting mixed with the oil. Can i vent the can to atmosphere without it having a negative effect on crank case pressure? The way i see it the intake acts as a vacuum to keep the pressure out of the crankcase so if i vent it to atmosphere it would create more back pressure in the crank case thus putting more strain on seals. please correct me if i am wrong.

Thank you
BTW you have a very clean bay

Haha, I forgot I even owned that little filter. I only used it for a month or two as it never really worked. Since that time I've just run a hose from the breather down into my frame.

You're right thought about balancing the pressure. The intake does help suck the fumes from the crank case and reduce oil leaks etc. This is the best way to do it. The pro vent catch can should work well. Read some of the threads on use of it to make sure you've got it setup right. You may also want to remove your valve cover, and open up the little breather filter area to clean it. This makes a big difference and helps keep oil from exiting the breather.

There was actually a Toyota technical update on these early 2LTE breathers that suggests a fix (I think it was basically a longer hose barb that fit further into the valve cover). This helped reduce oil loss apparently.

I actually recently bought a brand new 3L valve cover that seems to be working better than my original 2LTE one. It was a good buy. Black color too which I prefer. Price wasn't too bad being it came from Japan.

I have installed a Provent 200 into my 12HT. It seems to be working really well. I used large clear
plastic hose so I can see how contaminated it is. I recently did a hard 5000 km trip up north, pushed
it hard with the new GTurbo and the 20+ mountain passes. Drained about 2 tbsp of oil out the bottom.
For all you guys who have been running catch cans, especially Provent. How often do you
change the filter? What does it look like to you? Mines only been on for 10,000 km, maybe.
With no experience I’m thinking how can one tell if it’s used up. The outlet hose is clear too,
some misting but certainly no contaminant travelling to the air inlet
PS thanks @GTSSportCoupe !

Shouldn’t use anything with a filter or check valve in my opinion.

Lots of videos on youtube of that style causing major dramas on Toyota diesels.

In my opinion a mesh screen with layers is the only way to go.

Cheers

@SNLC which can do you use?

Do you know of any US distributors, or can they only be ordered from AU?

Only out of Australia. They are expensive but it’s a buy it once forever part.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom