catalytic converter and petrol smell (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, have you ever heard of petrol smell from exhaust pipe and catalytic conveter failure?
On my '99 LC 100 I smell like unburnt petrol from exhaust pipe especially when engine idles. Someone told me that the problem might be injectors but someone else catalytic converts.
Up to now I've changed: fuel pump, vapour canister system, ventilation hoses and valves, 02 sensors. Techstream detected no DTCs.
Any thoughts regarding this?

Hi guys, have you ever heard of petrol smell from exhaust pipe and catalytic conveter failure?
On my '99 LC 100 I smell like unburnt petrol from exhaust pipe especially when engine idles. Someone told me that the problem might be injectors but someone else catalytic converts.
Up to now I've changed: fuel pump, vapour canister system, ventilation hoses and valves, 02 sensors. Techstream detected no DTCs.
Any thoughts regarding this?

Sounds like a rich condition, could be something with the cats but would be reading a code most likely.

Do you smell unburnt gas even after it's warmed up?

I smell unburnt gas both warm and cold engine. No codes on Techstream. Rarely it happened a difficult starting-up and in that occasion, smell increased and a white-blue smoke appeared.

I smell unburnt gas both warm and cold engine. No codes on Techstream. Rarely it happened a difficult starting-up and in that occasion, smell increased and a white-blue smoke appeared.

To confirm, this is a petrol motor and not diesel.

Second, do you have any other performance issues? Stumbling idle, hesitation when accelerating, etc?

Has this been an issue for a long time?

These are signs that your Fuel Pressure Regulator may not be working properly.

To confirm, this is a petrol motor and not diesel.

Second, do you have any other performance issues? Stumbling idle, hesitation when accelerating, etc?

Has this been an issue for a long time?
Performances seem ok. In fact, no hesitation appears during accelerating and idle is OK. Only petrol smell remains at tailpipe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom