Cat replacement CA legal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm currently on the east coast but maybe eventually move back to CA where I was from along with my LC100, been looking around for a pair of Cats since the light has been turning on more frequently even after the reset. Although the car drives just fine, I was told that if I don't replace them, eventually it may affect the engine and it's performance. I do intend to keep the car well pass 200K, has 170K now. I'm wondering if I have to get a CA legal cat or can I get a federal one and I don't want to have it not pass when car goes back to CA.
I'm looking for direct fit is possible.

Don't know that there are any CARB certified Cats that are aftermarket, best bet is to go OEM and just have it handled. Look on Partsouq for the part number and then go from there with searching for best price. If you could find one from a wrecked truck you could possibly just swap in used ones.

Aftermarket cats to choose from...

I'm currently on the east coast but maybe eventually move back to CA where I was from along with my LC100, been looking around for a pair of Cats since the light has been turning on more frequently even after the reset. Although the car drives just fine, I was told that if I don't replace them, eventually it may affect the engine and it's performance. I do intend to keep the car well pass 200K, has 170K now. I'm wondering if I have to get a CA legal cat or can I get a federal one and I don't want to have it not pass when car goes back to CA.
I'm looking for direct fit is possible.
Don't jump to any conclusion about the catalytic converter. Do you know what OBD code your computer is throwing? If it's a code for the catalytic system (PO430 or PO420 depending on the bank), then it could be something as simple as an O2 sensor (check upstream first) or a leaking gasket for an O2 sensor. I'm in CA with a 100-series, and I've experiences the uncertainty around passing the smog test. Two years ago I had a local but shop 'clean' a catalytic converter that was throwing a code. This year, I just prayed a bit and my rig passed (after I cleared a P0430 code and drive the rig enough to allow the computer to reset itself to a 'ready' state.)

I also had the P0420/30 codes (thread on it) and O2 sensor spacers worked for me. Still passes VA emissions. *shrug* Long story short, try the easier stuff before throwing new cats on it - lots of people did the latter and still had the codes.

It is P0430 bank 2 code. Had the O2 sensors checked, my mechanic said they are fine. I have heard about O2 sensor spacers, are they a reliable solution for the long run and will not impact vehicle performance?

It is P0430 bank 2 code. Had the O2 sensors checked, my mechanic said they are fine. I have heard about O2 sensor spacers, are they a reliable solution for the long run and will not impact vehicle performance?
They've worked fine on mine for a couple years without issue. I'd be interested to monitor via OBD the O2 specs, AFR, whatever else and see if everything is in spec -- I'd assume it would throw a code if it wasn't, but I wonder if backing the sensor out of the stream has negative effects.

Last edited:
As long as you dont find too anal of a shop that checks visual. Just put a cat that will pass the ECU and Sniffer Test

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom