Events/Trails Casner 2022 - September ROTM (9th & 10) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Me and my two buddies won't get up to the campsite until probably 9pm so apologies for the late arrival. It will either be Me in my 200 and my buddy Jay in his 80 and other buddy Adam riding along or Adam may come up in his 5th Gen 4Runner. We will all be leaving from Scottsdale hopefully by 6pm. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Last edited:
Me and my two buddies won't get up to the campsite until probably 9pm so apologies for the late arrival. It will either be Me in my 200 and my buddy Jay in his 80 and other buddy Adam riding along or Adam may come up in his 5th Gen 4Runner. We will all be leaving from Scottsdale hopefully by 6pm. Looking forward to seeing everyone.
Pleasure meeting Jay and Adam, if you have more friends like that bring them along. Hope you guys got some Sunday football in as well. Thanks again for joining.

Steve

Pleasure meeting Jay and Adam, if you have more friends like that bring them along. Hope you guys got some Sunday football in as well. Thanks again for joining.

Steve

Thanks Steve! I always enjoy spending time with you guys hearing all the stories and just hanging out. I think Adam and Jay will become more active and for sure join officially after this trip. Both of them commented multiple times how much they enjoyed the trip and all of the club folks they got a chance to meet.

Sunrise
1663043621202.jpeg

For all of you on vacation or out of town, camping is "on vacation" and "out of town". Where are your priorities?

FYI, I was camping out of town and on vacation.

PXL_20220909_220427147.jpg

COVID camping?!?

You were missed,

I'd like to take a moment and thank @brices123 for getting the permit for this year and leading the run. As a commensurate professional, he lined up the gate pass, got all of us corralled into the right weekend, with campers and runners and camper-runners, and made it all look easy. He even stayed up late to be sure some late arrivals would A) find the right campsite, and 2) be welcomed and get settled smoothly. I can't imagine anyone doing more to ensure the success of everyone who came along for the adventure.

We had a blast, my wife-unit and I! Arriving on Friday afternoon at a leisurely pace, we took pur time getting up there, and got gas at Pulliam Field just in time to catch our Trail Boss on the radio (146.460mHz) who was already in the vicinity. It became a race as we took Purple Sage and 231 all the way in, while he took 89A South to 538(?) with a bunch of turns to be made along the way. My path had far fewer turns - and fewer opportunities to get lost! Before long, I'm behind a trailer that just won't pull over to let me pass, and sure enough, he's in the lead, Ultimately winning the race. In truth, I probably would have missed the turnoff, had it not been for the CSC Base Camp sign...

Tent up, I unpacked my new Lodge Sportsman Hibachi, and we threw some steaks on the hot coals (*pic above). It worked great with coals from the fire, and good thing, as I didn't bring enough charcoal, anyway. Dinner was served, and most of us headed off to bed by about 10p. Late arrivals showed up a little later, likely to a cacophony of snoring (@Otter ) .

The next morning saw an early start to get back down the mountain via 89A and to Sedona Safeway to pick up the run crew. Rolling through Oak Creek was awesome, with a minor delay due to repair of a section of washout due to recent floods in the area, which was substantial. With 6 trucks ready, we moved to the trailhead for airdown and drivers meeting. Power Line road saw the Casner turnoff, and we all headed uphill.
Screenshot_20220911-074326.jpg

With everyone on 2m HAM, we had good comms throughout. Those 9 switch backs aren't hard turns, and what I liked most about this run was the absence of off-camber / "tippy" sections and no narrow shelf roads, which give me the willies. Views from the ridgeline road were awesome in both directions, as this road separates the 2 wilderness areas (*which I learned about on this trip).

43477.jpeg

43486.jpeg

After the run, consensus was to head straight back on 231 to Base Camp, and we hung out there with some light to moderate rain, which brought us together under canopies. Stories were shared and memories were made, with a few dredged up from the past to refresh fading recall. A few of us headed back on Saturday evening, and hit some rain on the way out. It's not a run without Mud! I'm figuring we covered about 100 miles on dirt, about 250 miles on pavement getting there and back, and I know others drove further to make the trip.

There's no better group of people to hang with on a weekend than CSC folks, and my wife-unit and Millie the camping dog enjoyed the trip as well, which makes it that much more memorable for me.
43472.jpeg

Thank you, to everyone who contributed to this trip being such a great time. Looking forward to the next one, and hoping for more picture sharing as people download their cameras and hop back on Mud and this thread.

@LongDuck
Thank you for the compliments. What a great write up and could not have said it any better. You are quite the wordsmith.
It was a great time with great friends, both new and old. We even reminisced about friends we have not seen for a while (@jclarke450).
I will post a trip report and some photos in the next few days.
Thank you to everyone for making it a bunch of fun.

Photo dump time.
1 of 2

1 Casner At Camp.jpeg

2 Casner Switchbacks.jpeg

3 Casner View #1.jpeg

4 Casner Switchbacks-Top 2.jpeg

5 Casner View #2.jpeg

6 Casner View From the Saddle 1.jpeg

7 Casner View From the Saddle 2.jpeg

8 Casner Stacked Cruisers.jpeg

9 Casner Final Hill Climb.jpeg

10 Casner View From the Saddle 3.jpeg

Photos 2 of 2.
Tina has more, but no reason to put everyone to sleep.

11 Casner Field of Flowers.jpeg

12 Casner View From Camp 1.jpeg

13 Casner Chris & Peking Duck.jpeg

14 Casner Adam, Matt & Jay.jpeg

15 Casner Approaching Rain.jpeg

16 Casner View From Camp 4.jpeg

17 Casner Camp Sunset.jpeg

Trip Report

Casner Mountain Trail #8 & camping

Vehicles: One Tacoma, one 100 w/ trailer, one 200, two 4Runners (5th Gen), two 80's.

Chris - @Highway Romping went up on Thursday September 8th and secured the camping spot. Steve - @Saddletramp, Thomas & Linda - @LongDuck, John - @Living in the Past, and Tina & me all made it up on Friday before dark. Matt - @TheGrrrrr and Jay showed up after dark.

On Saturday we (Matt, Jay, Thomas & Linda, John and Tina & me) headed down to Sedona to meet up with Matt's friend Adam at Safeway. Chris & Steve stayed and guarded our campsite.

Once we turned off 89a onto 525, we aired down and took 20 minutes to get to the gate at the base of Casner. We were greeted by some side by side riders that had one vehicle wider than 62", so we opened the gate and let them go first. I told them there was a gate at the end of the road, but did they listen? Nope! We met them again at the top gate where they had been waiting for us to show up and let them through.

We had a pretty easy time going up the switchbacks. Two stock 4Runners made it without issue. The climb up the switchbacks was 20 minutes. We stopped several times along the trail on the top to take photos. All said, it was about an hour and a half from gate to gate. As @LongDuck said to me a couple of times, "Are you trying to set a speed record?"

We pulled into camp at the east end of 231 at about 1:40. We collected ourselves, ate some lunch and proceeded to have many great discussions. Rain came and went several times along with some impressive thunder.

Chris, John and Thomas & Linda headed out on Saturday evening, while the rest of us stayed the night. We were all out of camp by 10:00 on Sunday.

Once again, the Casner trip never disappoints me, even if it does rain.

Trip Report

Casner Mountain Trail #8 & camping

Vehicles: One Tacoma, one 100 w/ trailer, one 200, two 4Runners (5th Gen), two 80's.

Chris - @Highway Romping went up on Thursday September 8th and secured the camping spot. Steve - @Saddletramp, Thomas & Linda - @LongDuck, John - @Living in the Past, and Tina & me all made it up on Friday before dark. Matt - @TheGrrrrr and Jay showed up after dark.

On Saturday we (Matt, Jay, Thomas & Linda, John and Tina & me) headed down to Sedona to meet up with Matt's friend Adam at Safeway. Chris & Steve stayed and guarded our campsite.

Once we turned off 89a onto 525, we aired down and took 20 minutes to get to the gate at the base of Casner. We were greeted by some side by side riders that had one vehicle wider than 62", so we opened the gate and let them go first. I told them there was a gate at the end of the road, but did they listen? Nope! We met them again at the top gate where they had been waiting for us to show up and let them through.

We had a pretty easy time going up the switchbacks. Two stock 4Runners made it without issue. The climb up the switchbacks was 20 minutes. We stopped several times along the trail on the top to take photos. All said, it was about an hour and a half from gate to gate. As @LongDuck said to me a couple of times, "Are you trying to set a speed record?"

We pulled into camp at the east end of 231 at about 1:40. We collected ourselves, ate some lunch and proceeded to have many great discussions. Rain came and went several times along with some impressive thunder.

Chris, John and Thomas & Linda headed out on Saturday evening, while the rest of us stayed the night. We were all out of camp by 10:00 on Sunday.

Once again, the Casner trip never disappoints me, even if it does rain.

Sorry to have missed this run. Looks like everyone had a great time as usual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom