Events/Trails Casner 2022 - September ROTM (9th & 10) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

brices123

GOLD Star
SILVER Star
Threads
It is that time of year again, just a month early.

I received a permit to run Casner Trail #8 for the week of September 5 - 11. The 5th is Labor Day.

I have a business meeting in Seattle on the 7th and once again I am not sure I will be able to make the run. I think I might leave it up to you guys as to when the actual run will happen.

For me, camping up on the rim is always the best part. Camping could be the weekend of the 3 - 5, and the run on the 5th, or camping could be 9 - 11 and the run one day that weekend.

Let me repeat, the run will be on September 10th (Saturday). Camping will be the 9th & 10th.

That said, if you have not ever run Casner, it is a lot of fun. Read about it HERE..

As always, the run up #8 is limited to 10 vehicles (with a minimum of 3) but camping is available to anyone.

Maps and notes are located in post #32.

The Lucky Trail Runners:
1. @TheGrrrrr
2. @TheGrrrrr
3. @Living in the Past
4. @LongDuck
5. @brices123

Happy Campers:
1. @TheGrrrrr
2. @TheGrrrrr
3. @tls3601
4. @Living in the Past
5. @Highway Romping
6. @LongDuck
7. @Saddletramp
8. @brices123 & @aztlctina

Last edited:
Not wanting to go anywhere over Labor Day. Would vote for a September 10th run on Saturday. Would do the run after the Labor crowd is gone. Never done this run with anything but vehicles with open diffs. Still haven't decided if we are keeping our fifth generation 4Runner. Would interesting to see the difference with some traction aids.

Not wanting to go anywhere over Labor Day. Would vote for a September 10th run on Saturday. Would do the run after the Labor crowd is gone. Never done this run with anything but vehicles with open diffs. Still haven't decided if we are keeping our fifth generation 4Runner. Would interesting to see the difference with some traction aids.
I agree about missing the Labor Day crowd, but I did not want to be the first one to say it.

It is that time of year again, just a month early.

I received a permit to run Casner Trail #8 for the week of September 5 - 11. The 5th is Labor Day.

I have a business meeting in Seattle on the 7th and once again I am not sure I will be able to make the run. I think I might leave it up to you guys as to when the actual run will happen.

For me, camping up on the rim is always the best part. Camping could be the weekend of the 3 - 5, and the run on the 5th, or camping could be 9 - 11 and the run one day that weekend.

That said, if you have not ever run Casner, it is a lot of fun. Read about it HERE..

As always, the run up #8 is limited to 10 vehicles but camping is available to anyone.

Please let me know what dates you all think are the best.

The Lucky Trail Runners:

I would very much like to do this run and camping, but I'm in London for the Foo Fighters/Taylor Hawkins Tribute concert returning the 5th. The following weekend, maybe camp Friday to Sunday with a Saturday run? So camp 9th to 11th, with the run on the 10th? I would for sure be a yes on that schedule and would probably have Jay in his 80 series as well. I don't think he is on Mud.

Last edited:
I would very much like to do this run and camping, but I'm in London for the Foo Fighters/Taylor Hawkins Tribute concert returning the 5th. The following weekend, maybe camp Friday to Sunday with a Saturday run? So camp 9th to 11th, with the run on the 10th? I would for sure be a yes on that that schedule and would probably have Jay in his 80 series as well. I don't think he is on Mud.
Lucky dog!

Waiting to see how many sign up for the run before bringing this up to my daughter. She also has a fifth generation 4Runner.

Let's make the run on Saturday, September 10th.
Camping will be September 9th and 10th, maybe even starting September 8th.
I will edit the first post.

Let's make the run on Saturday, September 10th.
Camping will be September 9th and 10th, maybe even starting September 8th.
I will edit the first post.

You can put me down for two vehicles on the run and camping friday to sunday. Would be happy to tail-gun.

I am in. Put me down for camping ⛺👍

I will be heading up there earlier on the 9th to camp the night of 9th and 10th. Caravan from Prescott area?

Possibly north end of Phoenix. Not sure if leaving from Surprise area or Prescott area.

Anyone else bringing HAM radios with them?

Possibly north end of Phoenix. Not sure if leaving from Surprise area or Prescott area.

Will not be heading up from the valley. Last year headed up the valley on Saturday and make the mistake of taking the Sedona exit (SR179?) off I-17. Was miles of back up until I reached the junction with 89A. Would assume SR260 off I-17 to 89A would be better route or the Fort Tuthill exit to 89A, short north to Purple Sage. Not sure how Fridays are in Sedona during the summer, probably not as bad as Saturdays.

Will not be heading up from the valley. Last year headed up the valley on Saturday and make the mistake of taking the Sedona exit (SR179?) off I-17. Was miles of back up until I reached the junction with 89A. Would assume SR260 off I-17 to 89A would be better route or the Fort Tuthill exit to 89A, short north to Purple Sage. Not sure how Fridays are in Sedona during the summer, probably not as bad as Saturdays.
Yes I would drop South from 89 juncture N of campsite, driving thru Oak Creek Canyon North is always a zoo🙄. Been a while since I have been there, can anyone post up directions to our CSC Base Camp camping spot? I am planning on getting there earlier in the day Friday.

Yes I would drop South from 89 juncture N of campsite, driving thru Oak Creek Canyon North is always a zoo🙄. Been a while since I have been there, can anyone post up directions to our CSC Base Camp camping spot? I am planning on getting there earlier in the day Friday.

I believe the Kachina exit off I-17 is the furthest exit south you can find your way to 89A. Are you talking about heading south on 89A and then west on a FS road just before the switchbacks going into Oak Creek Canyon? Years ago there was a third option of a FS road that headed west off 89A east of Woody Mtn and came into the mainFS road heading south at Mill Park. If it was still open didn't have to drop down as far as the FS road south and distance was about the same to the main FS road as the way in further south. Forest service closed that road years ago. 2019 when I was in the area the way thru Mill Park was closed off as private land. Next way around is a small section posted as no trespassing State Trust Land. This is the only section of State Land I have come across in Coconino National Forest.
IMG_20191012_121757250_HDR.jpg

I believe the Kachina exit off I-17 is the furthest exit south you can find your way to 89A. Are you talking about heading south on 89A and then west on a FS road just before the switchbacks going into Oak Creek Canyon? Years ago there was a third option of a FS road that headed west off 89A east of Woody Mtn and came into the mainFS road heading south at Mill Park. If it was still open didn't have to drop down as far as the FS road south and distance was about the same to the main FS road as the way in further south. Forest service closed that road years ago. 2019 when I was in the area the way thru Mill Park was closed off as private land. Next way around is a small section posted as no trespassing State Trust Land. This is the only section of State Land I have come across in Coconino National Forest.
View attachment 3095756
Yes will get off just South of Flagstaff on 89A then drop South on that, then a R hand (west) turn on?

Yes will get off just South of Flagstaff on 89A then drop South on that, then a R hand (west) turn on?

For first time in my life I actually downloaded the Coconino motorized off road map. Have always just used paper maps. Remember seeing @Pitch at a Cansner Mtn run and he was surprised I didn't have a flip phone. I perfer driving a stock FJ40 which probably explains why.

Tom if you get off at the Pulliam Airport/Fort Tuthill exit south of Flagstaff head west over the freeway. From there you can go either way on 89A. Fort Tuthill is right there at the stop. Go north just past Fort Tuthill you will see Purple Sage. Made a left and it will turn into FS road 532. That takes you to 231. Head south. That is the main way down to the rim. If you head south on 89A turn west (left) on FS rd 535. What on top the main road turns into FS rd 536. 535 heads north and is a more primitive rd 536 takes you to 231. Turn south (left). If you get off at Kachina village once under the freeway head south on the frontage road. That looks to turn into FS rd 237. It heads over to 89A just north of FS rd 535. Never been on 237. Shows as a solid line AKA main road but looks like it is windy before getting to 89A. Assume that is because it's dropping down. 535 is a climb up so makes sense 237 is the same if you head north on 237. For reference I do see a few roads headed west off of 89A before you get to 535. These will get you to 231 but north of Rodgers lake which would be a waste of time.

Where we camp I'll let someone else explain. Years ago Top of the World camping area was west of where the group has camped in previous years. Once start heading east along the rim it is a way before turning right to get to the edge.

What are you planning on bringing on the run? I'll be in my wife's fifth generation 4Runner which I guess is mine now. She likes her V8 fourth generation 4Runner.

Last edited:
Planning on bringing my 4Runner but just camping.

Mentioned it to my wife-unit, who said we missed out by NOT going last time, so we're in for heading up Friday, camping through to Sunday, and doing the run on that Saturday. Apparently, I was wrong when I thought it might be too much run for her tolerance for bumps and angles,...!

I'll be on HAM 2m, 146.460mHz, and monitoring on the way. Might bring the base station HAMmo can and see who we can pick up as contacts at that elevation.

Should be a great time, and a chance to cut a few days off of the end of summer here in Phoenix.

@brices123 - that's one vehicle for the run, and count us in to camp. THANKS for getting the permit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom