cargo storage solutions for a 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys I have been searching the forums and reading up on this topic in the Expedition build section. There are many pics, diagrams and writeups of drawer/storage solutions for 60, 80 and 100 series vehicles. However thus far I haven't been able to come up with similar threads for the 40 series. So I thought I'd ask folks to post up their cargo storage/ drawer system solutions for 40 series. It seems to me that if you kick the jump seats up and the cargo area is otherwise bare you have enough space to put in a a couple of short drawers/hatches to be able to keep your gear stowed in an orderly way so that it isn't flying around while wheeling or working your way along off road towards your camp site or next expedition waypoint. Right now I'm using cargo netting to hold my gear pressed up against the driver's and passenger's seat backs. Everything is secure and easily accesible when wheeling. It isn't bad, but completely temporary. I'd love to see some of the ideas that others have come up with. Cheers.

Hi All:

I know what you mean. I've yet to come up with a system for my FJ40 that I am completely satisfied with.

A couple of years ago I devised a simple drawer system for my rig. I had already hard-mounted a plastic storage box right behind the front seats, and bolted a piece of 1.5 by 1.5 inch pre-perforated "angle iron" on each wheel well (to serve as tie-down points.)

The "drawer system" consists of a piece of plywood that I cut and notched to fit snuggly between the tie down points and the storage box, and two plastic storage boxes that fit underneath. See these photos for a better idea.

Regards,

Alan
DSCN0314.JPG
DSCN0317.JPG
DSCN0311.JPG

Hi All:

I know what you mean. I've yet to come up with a system for my FJ40 that I am completely satisfied with.

A couple of years ago I devised a simple drawer system for my rig. I had already hard-mounted a plastic storage box right behind the front seats, and bolted a piece of 1.5 by 1.5 inch pre-perforated "angle iron" on each wheel well (to serve as tie-down points.)

The "drawer system" consists of a piece of plywood that I cut and notched to fit snuggly between the tie down points and the storage box, and two plastic storage boxes that fit underneath. See these photos for a better idea.

Regards,

Alan

Alan,
Thanks for posting up. It looks like you finished the plywood with something, what did you use? I found this on the web, it sounds like another riff on the same theme:
Custom Tie Down Mounts - Trucks 4x4 @ Off-Road.com

I also am interested in more storage in my rig. At first I was also thinking drawers. But I always have a gate in place so that wouldn't work so well. So I was thinking of something with doors. Almost like a wall cabinet mounted on its back. I have a medium sized ammo box currently in use. It will be intereting to see what other people come up with.

I purchased this box from mustard dog about 4 yrs ago. It is really over kill, but great item.
box%201.jpg
box%205.jpg

I also am interested in more storage in my rig. At first I was also thinking drawers. But I always have a gate in place so that wouldn't work so well. So I was thinking of something with doors. Almost like a wall cabinet mounted on its back. I have a medium sized ammo box currently in use. It will be intereting to see what other people come up with.

I was thinking of four compartments. For the two closest to the passenger seats I had the same idea (I think) basically have one or two compartments were the doors open towards the roof of the vehicle, maybe with recessed latches. The remaining two compartments would be drawers that would slide open toward the rear like Plowboy's.

I purchased this box from mustard dog about 4 yrs ago. It is really over kill, but great item.
That looks like a great drawer. What are it's dimensions?

Hi All:

I'm afraid it is just simple "texture" spray paint that one can purchase from any Home Depot or Loew's.

The great thing about that perforated "angle iron" is that it is a simple install.

Regards,

Alan

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Alan,
Thanks for posting up. It looks like you finished the plywood with something, what did you use? I found this on the web, it sounds like another riff on the same theme:
Custom Tie Down Mounts - Trucks 4x4 @ Off-Road.com

Here is the ammo box in my rig. Large enough for tools and some recovery gear. Also the jump seats can still be used. Something else which I think worked well is that the box is "floating", so not touching the tub floor. Not as noisy this way. I already had two holes to attach the brackets to but could have used the rollbar mounts. The brackets were dipped in plasti-dip. The box opening faces the back of the front seats, so easy access.

So maybe a larger one could be made using the four rollbar mounting holes. Divided by two doors, one opening to the front and the other to the rear.
PB090270.jpg

I built cargo cages for both my 40 & my :pig: I like this setup better than a drawer type system.

Damn dude! That thing looks like a prop out of an Alien movie! :eek:

:D

Excellent work, got any pics of it loaded up? Is that a hinge to raise the back section up?

That's a great looking box are they still available somewhere? Also, do you think it would be difficult to mount a rear (heep style) seat to the top (where your tires are in the picture?

Thanks!

It's a home made box. A seat could be bolted to the top. The tires are just sitting there. Jump seats work also, but no foot room As to size it fills the entire rear section with one inch clearance on the side for a custombuilt tiedown system. The rear heater was removed.

Cut the floor and add a drop in box where the muffler would normally ride. I've seen these on aluminum tubs and they look pretty nice, wouldn't be to hard to do. Add storage boxes on top of the fender wells, roll bar permitting. You can fasten a steel tool box or two under the hood atop the fenders providing you've limited emission equipment and battery space.

Buy a cargo rack???

Damn dude! That thing looks like a prop out of an Alien movie! :eek:

:D

Excellent work, got any pics of it loaded up? Is that a hinge to raise the back section up?

I've heard "Mad Max Mobile" for the :pig: Yes, those are hinges on both. On the 40, only the rear gate lifts up, but on the :pig: I made a hatchback style cage top. Only pic I could find of the 40 w/ a 36" spare inside & don't have one of the :pig: but I have another view w/ the tailgate:
DSC00495.JPG
DSC00747.JPG

I've heard "Mad Max Mobile" for the :pig: Yes, those are hinges on both. On the 40, only the rear gate lifts up, but on the :pig: I made a hatchback style cage top. Only pic I could find of the 40 w/ a 36" spare inside & don't have one of the :pig: but I have another view w/ the tailgate:

Wow, crazy set up. Nice man!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom