Carburetor Repair Kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all!

Just getting started after finding a beautiful 1984 FJ60. I've got a fuel leak from one of the gaskets on the carburetor. While I'm there, I'd like to go ahead and replace all the other wearables on the carb since it doesn't appear to have been done in a long time, if ever. I've read on this forum that you can purchase a kit with the whole set of replacement pieces.

Trouble is, I can't figure out how to find the kit I'm looking for.

sor.com, coolcruisers, cruisercorps all advertise carb conversion kits, but I'm not converting a carb.

How do I determine which kit I need and where should I be looking for said kit?

Keyster makes a good kit, I think. I have also used one made by Hygrade/Standard Motor Products (#791B). be careful of kits that cover the two barrel carbs for FJ40 and FJ60 because the secondary diaphragm is different. That hygrade kit has the secondary diaphragm for the FJ40. You can get the FJ60 diaphragm from Napa as a separate part (CRB 24093 / Echlin 044005040)

Also get a copy of the 2F engine manual as it has instructions about rebuilding and tuning. It's not too difficult, you just have to pay attention to details and get the right parts back in the right spots. For example there are two check balls of different sizes...

All the US carbs for the FJ60 are the same.

That Keyster kit is a good price, but doesn't come with the secondary diaphragm.

Last edited:
Hi all!

Just getting started after finding a beautiful 1984 FJ60. I've got a fuel leak from one of the gaskets on the carburetor. While I'm there, I'd like to go ahead and replace all the other wearables on the carb since it doesn't appear to have been done in a long time, if ever. I've read on this forum that you can purchase a kit with the whole set of replacement pieces.

Trouble is, I can't figure out how to find the kit I'm looking for.

sor.com, coolcruisers, cruisercorps all advertise carb conversion kits, but I'm not converting a carb.

How do I determine which kit I need and where should I be looking for said kit?
Cruiser Outfitters for sure, give em a call. Super helpful.
As others have mentioned, find the FSM in the “resources” tab on the top of this page. I found this site easier to navigate on a laptop at first, my phone screen just didn’t have enough real estate.

Find and watch “PinHead0001” Aisan carburetor videos on YouTube. I noticed a few things different in his carburetor from mine (6/1984 FJ60) but nothing major.
And take pictures. A lot of pictures. More than you think is necessary amount of pictures. And plenty of video of all the small moving parts, and how they interact with other small moving parts

Thanks all!

This is awesome feedback and exactly what I was looking for. Good to know they're all the same carb in the US too, that would explain my difficulty differentiating kits. Looking forward to calling Cruiser Outfitters and checking out those videos. Thanks again!

I found a good trick to getting the check balls out is to put a magnet to a metal punch and put the punch in the hole. This instead of flipping it upside down and shaking ...and maybe having something else go flying.

also I've read on this forum that it's better to keep the original leather plunger to the accelerator pump and soak it in some oil to rejuvenate. The plastic(rubber feeling) plungers in the new kits won't last as long.

I found a good trick to getting the check balls out is to put a magnet to a metal punch and put the punch in the hole. This instead of flipping it upside down and shaking ...and maybe having something else go flying.

also I've read on this forum that it's better to keep the original leather plunger to the accelerator pump and soak it in some oil to rejuvenate. The plastic(rubber feeling) plungers in the new kits won't last as long.
Good trick on the magnet. I hadn't thought to magnetize a punch like that.
And on the leather plunger; I'll try that out and use the rubber as a backup.
Thanks!

Napco kits on ebay are the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom