Carburetor Linkage - binding (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

brooklyn

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi all, can’t seem to keep my carb linkage from binding. Tried making a few adjustments to the positioning of bracket but still no luck. This is a City Racer carb, attached to an 85F2, sitting in a 67’ FJ40.

Any thoughts? Is there an alternative bracket setup for these?

5915306B-B978-4E02-9370-39769FEE34EA.jpeg

54D72CF4-0E73-4D40-A11D-4A8667F0B53F.jpeg

Hi all, can’t seem to keep my carb linkage from binding. Tried making a few adjustments to the positioning of bracket but still no luck. This is a City Racer carb, attached to an 85F2, sitting in a 67’ FJ40.

Any thoughts? Is there an alternative bracket setup for these?

View attachment 3101991

View attachment 3101992

Who advised you to attach your cable in this very very unsafe manner and hook it all up like this ?

This is a recipe to a crash 💥 into a object in front of you unintentionally
!

No joke here about safety …fyi

You need a all hard parts linkage kit consisting of push rods , balls and sockets …

Since you have a 2F engine and a 2F engine carburetor correctly
Installing the proper 2F accelerator linkage set up from peddle to the new carb is a logical approach and the best and only path forward

Matt

Agreed, hard linkage is best. I am dealing with the same issue on my 71 body / 69engine with a city racer carb.

The bend in your cable will result in “squishy” or poor responsiveness in throttle response. Additionally, from testing on my vehicle, the secondary fuel jets won’t activate with the stock pedal linkage. You will need to increase cable travel.

I am currently trying to fit a 73 bracket to the carb and cable. This requires a new cable with barrel stop and linkage. @ToyotaMatt gas cable. Maybe someone else on here or in wtb section has the 73 carb bracket. Photo shows 73 bracket & cable. I am missing the linkage arm.

Alternatively I think @ToyotaMatt has a 3FE bracket mod for the carb that could work. I haven’t researched this much yet.

01518136-FE69-4CB8-BEAF-9936A5E3FA05.jpeg

- That linkage bracket and bell crank require the END OF LINE Barrel Stop Cable as shown above

Last edited:
I also have a complete rods and ball and sockets linkage kit for you to consideration

It’s all restored and freshly gold zinc plated too

Hi Matt — can you provide link to kit? Looks like I need everything from carb to gas pedal.

Didn’t see on your site so
I must be using wrong search term.

Interesting, very interesting. The ball and sockets on my73 bracket were heavily pitted. Will need to get that.

I was going to Frankenstein a Lokar linkage. @ToyotaMatt I will have to take you up on the linkage.

Wait a minute, that is the 73 cable I got from you a while back. Fits pretty good although initial fit up seems like the cable length is a little long (ok just loop it and zip tie secured).

@devo what does the right side of that post connect to? I think this is the challenge with early style throttle connections.

58-67 had mechanical linkage
68-72 and earlier had straight end cables
Late 72-73 had a barrel end cable and bracket to mechanical linkage
74+ had mechanical linkages to the pedal.

T-TEN Linkage Class is in session ....

TECH Video Below is golden 411 ,

i suggest making time to get enlightened and up to speed , any other way is simply Passe'

DSCN3303.JPG
DSCN3304.JPG
DSCN3306 - Copy.JPG
DSCN3309.JPG

For the person who started the original thread, you would probably be better off scrapping the whole linkage/ball socket/city racer carb setup and just getting an earlier cable actuated Aisan carb that will be more compatible with your '67 accelerator pedal and cable. Easier and better IMHO. Carb from late 69 to 72 would work and have proper brackets, etc. Not sure about your Air Cleaner, but if you went with the early style it would fit your 67 and the carb better than the 2f style.

For the person who started the original thread, you would probably be better off scrapping the whole linkage/ball socket/city racer carb setup and just getting an earlier cable actuated Aisan carb that will be more compatible with your '67 accelerator pedal and cable. Easier and better IMHO. Carb from late 69 to 72 would work and have proper brackets, etc. Not sure about your Air Cleaner, but if you went with the early style it would fit your 67 and the carb better than the 2f style.

maybe i forgot a small detail : 🤔

1661984659088.png

1661984697415.png

Still trying to figure this one out as I have a 85" F2 engine in my "67 FJ40. So for the background, I had a trollhole carb with the current "not so perfect" linkage for many years, that carb got fouled from a dirty gas tank. To keep the truck on the road, I purchased the CityRacer carb, which runs great. I also have a rebuilt Aisan carburetor, which could replace the CityRacer or just be a spare for future use.

Ideally, I would like to stay with a cable setup and was looking at the 72/73 linkage as a possibility, but that linkage seems very hard to find. So for @ToyotaMatt, would the bell crank assembly help me out and is so, do I need additional brackets?

If I go to a newer setup that is found on the 85 carbs, how involved is this install in a '67? Have a car show planned the second week of September and trying to see what I can do before that event -- first time entering a show and have been preparing the truck for months.

Amy advice is greatly appreciated.

Still trying to figure this one out as I have a 85" F2 engine in my "67 FJ40. So for the background, I had a trollhole carb with the current "not so perfect" linkage for many years, that carb got fouled from a dirty gas tank. To keep the truck on the road, I purchased the CityRacer carb, which runs great. I also have a rebuilt Aisan carburetor, which could replace the CityRacer or just be a spare for future use.

Ideally, I would like to stay with a cable setup and was looking at the 72/73 linkage as a possibility, but that linkage seems very hard to find. So for @ToyotaMatt, would the bell crank assembly help me out and is so, do I need additional brackets?

If I go to a newer setup that is found on the 85 carbs, how involved is this install in a '67? Have a car show planned the second week of September and trying to see what I can do before that event -- first time entering a show and have been preparing the truck for months.

Amy advice is greatly appreciated.

The bellcrank Matt is showing is off a 1HZ, so you can see how it truly mounts. The clearance for it is no good on a 40 unfortunately. Here’s a pic of the 1hz linkage. You can see how it connects to the injection pump.

68737992-7446-481E-BBF4-6ABB3906EFC2.jpeg

@mattressking - thanks for the photo. Still working on a solution — ruling out some that won’t work helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom