Carbon Fiber vs Aluminun frame for MTB (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm not sure if this is a good thing in that it will dilute the market with so many makers that the consumer might be confused as all hell while trying to make choices...regardless, as long as it drives down prices I'll be happy. I'm kicking around the idea of building up another custom ride - just not sure on which direction...road or mtn -> then that in itself branches a billion times.

RacerLex..sorry for thread jacking. I'll start my own thread if you prefer.

Looking over the bikes on BikesDirect, I would be hard pressed to pass one of those up. The Ti 29er would be on my short list. The spec sheet of parts is nice. More than likely that is some big names frame that is just re badged.

The reviews on MTBR.com are not too bad either.

RacerLex..sorry for thread jacking. I'll start my own thread if you prefer.

Feel free to continue your discussion...

Looking over the bikes on BikesDirect, I would be hard pressed to pass one of those up. The Ti 29er would be on my short list. The spec sheet of parts is nice. More than likely that is some big names frame that is just re badged.

The reviews on MTBR.com are not too bad either.

The Motobecane FLY Ti bikes look like a pretty good value. But having not seen one or know anyone that owns it, I just can't pull the trigger to buy one. It's too much of a pain to disassemble and ship back if I don't like the way it fits or rides.

Feel free to continue your discussion...

The Motobecane FLY Ti bikes look like a pretty good value. But having not seen one or know anyone that owns it, I just can't pull the trigger to buy one. It's too much of a pain to disassemble and ship back if I don't like the way it fits or rides.

That's what would stop me too. Looking at the charts, the geometry is different from bike to bike.

If it doesn't fit you would be out time and money.

But the more I think about it, You could find a Giant or something similar that has the exact geometry and test ride that first.

I would always recommend against an aluminum hardtail frame. Too stiff for my liking. I will say that I've ridden an alu bianchi singlespeed 29er that didn't ride too bad.

What other options are there? Bike shops around here are stocked with aluminum frame with just a couple of carbon frames, and cromoly on the lower end bikes.

What other options are there?

This is guaranteed to please:

JAMIS DRAGON COMP (19") Steel Mountain Bike (2008) - eBay (item 350306003553 end time Feb-15-10 13:26:46 PST)

It comes in a 29er too, with better steel, for more money, but make sure the geometry is right for you.

2008 Jamis Dragon 29er Mountain Bike, Sz 17in, New! - eBay (item 360228624548 end time Jan-29-10 12:39:43 PST)

Don't be afraid to buy something nice-but-used on craigslist and fix it up. Technology hasn't changed that much in the last few years.

The classifieds on MTBR have lots of bikes:

MTBR.Com Classifieds

I'd look for an Independent Fabrications (Indy Fab) if I lived out there.

Custom Bicycles and Frames | Independent Fabrication | Carbon Fiber and Steel and Titanium

Does my bias for steel show? The only bike I ride that's not steel is a full-suspension trail bike (Titus). My latest is from a small builder friend of mine who's out of the biz now; a Jericho rigid steel singlespeed.

If you want a nice rigid steel singlespeed, I'm selling my 18.5" Phil Wood with a Kelly fork and Hayes brakes. $1350.

Carbon's time has come - maybe

I'm driving to Denver tomorrow to swing my leg over a full carbon full suspension bike. Selling my Ti hardtail 29er on ebay right now to help fund it. I've been weary of carbon ever since in one 24 hour race I broke both a carbon seatpost and bars within 4 hours. Both were brand new easton, but the bars were incorrectly installed by a LBS and the seatpost was clamped way to tight by me after it slipped on the first lap-- adrenaline is my excuse.

I thought I would be Ti until I die, but now i'm wanting to get back into the sussy world and Ti sussy are just not out there. I'm looking into a Santa Cruz Tallboy, I used to race for them so they have a soft spot in my heart plus they have an awsome crash replacement program if I do lay it down and destroy something.

Don't get sucked in my the hype!!

Carbon? Aluminum? Whatever?

As long as the frame is not a noodle sideways (no BB sway) and you like it, go with it. Vertically they will both be rock solid. Damping or some mystical quality of smoothness being instilled in a MTN bike frame is so insanely minor as to be ignored. With tires under 100psi your tires and wheels are providing 99.999999999 percent of your damping or vibration attenuation.

I too have had steel, aluminum, carbon and titanium. I kinda like steel. Nothing against the others really, it might be that the steel bikes I have ridden had better geometry for me. Carbon is certainly cool. Kinda gets freaky expensive sometimes though. So does Ti. I know this: Titanium will give off impressive sparks when ground on pavement. I had a 4x4-12" chunk I used to drop off the back of the truck to impress kids in high school years ago. But I digress.

If you are going to choose from the 3 bikes from your original post and keep it as long as you say you are, then definitely choose the 29er. Two reasons, one, the 29er will roll over the roots and rocks better and two, it has the fox fork and higher end components......an extra $600 over a few years is nothing.
It is worth being a team member at performance so you can get 10% off your purchase and if you can be patient enough, wait for the double points weekend and get 20% off.

Carbon also scares the s*** out of me on a mountain bike, nics and scatches are bad news bears. But, my bikes get ridden very hard.

I agree with VCCruzr The 29er is the way to go. Since i purchased my first 29er the 26" just sit in the basement. As far a frame material, buy what you can justify spending for the amount of riding you do. IMO, Gary fisher makes a great handling big wheeled bike. G2 geometry only. -Ride on!

What other options are there? QUOTE]
So what did you get? Anything yet?

If you have not decided, I can tell you that I have bought from BikesDirect, I bought the Fly Team Aluminum the year before the Ti came out. It was an Aluminum hardtail, so yes a bit jarring at first but with some good experience I learned to ride it better and eventually rode Leadville with it. Superb climbing geometry. The 26"ti frame is basically the same geometry but with an expected plusher ride of Titanium, look at the pictures of the welds, these are top notch.

For Ti bikes, look at Titus, Ericcsen, Lynskey, Moots and of course Black Sheep (very cool).

I currently ride an aluminum/carbon Titus Racer X Full Susser. I am happy as hell and have also ordered the newer X Carbon. So why do I mention this, well all these materials are awesome nowadays, I would not worry. In fact if you do some research like on Mountain Bike Action or MTB UK/bikeradar.com, you will see the best reviews for an all carbon GT downhill bike. GT and Carbon are very relevant.

Trek and Specialized still do lifetime warranties on their Carbon I believe.

I love GT Zaskars by the way, I used to ride one years ago as well as many BMX bikes.

OK so some more from me if you even care, I was interested in 29ers but not completely sold. I rode several full sus and hardtails, mainly because I was dropped consistently during the Single Speed series races by 29ers. I love the idea of SS 29er, I love the idea of geared hardtail 29er, I am not quite there on full suspension 29er yet only because of the increased weight. If you want to get a 29er, ride lots of them. They don't all ride the same, I won't tell you which ones I did not like but I will tell you the Niner Air 9, and the Stumpjumper Carbon HT 29er were both awesome, Felt came close behind but a little pricey.

If you have patience, I believe Gary Fisher is super solid in the world of 29ers and worth checking out both Superfly's. But as far as I know they are super hard to find. Check Penn Cycle in Minnesota. The Hi-Fi is same geometry.

If you get a BikesDirect bike take it apart, rebuild it and you will definitely be happy and so will your wallet. I love that Fly Team Ti 29er. Love the XTR package.

Best of luck keep the rubber down and see you on the trails.

Serge

What other options are there? QUOTE]
So what did you get? Anything yet?

No, haven't pulled the trigger on anything. The pickings are very slim right now, not many 2010 models are out yet. I figure late April there will be some bikes built at the LBS for me to test ride and compare. Most likely I'll go 29er if I do end up buying something since I already have a 26" HT.

Just took my Phil Wood/IF single speed out weeha.

No, haven't pulled the trigger on anything. The pickings are very slim right now, not many 2010 models are out yet. I figure late April there will be some bikes built at the LBS for me to test ride and compare. Most likely I'll go 29er if I do end up buying something since I already have a 26" HT.

Then you really need to see those Black Sheeps, oh and check out Vassago too.
Bikes are F-in cool
Black Sheep Bikes • Custom built in Fort Collins, Colorado

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom