Carb tuning advice - Oregon (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A A/F is great, but before you do that you should at least follow the FSM and check the function of the Air Injection system. How old is the CAT?

A A/F is great, but before you do that you should at least follow the FSM and check the function of the Air Injection system. How old is the CAT?
As I said before I’ve checked the air injection system not long ago as well as all the fidgety valves of the emissions system (replacing one or two even). But yes I will check again. The air pump worked fine last check. The cat may be original to the vehicle. I am unsure.

The original CAT will be a big giant restrictive brick. Everything else will be slim by comparison. If you've still got the original, it's time for a change and that's gonna solve a lot of your issues.

Pic of OE CAT

1629343984926.png

That looks a lot like the one I have. Thanks again for all your advice
When you buy your new one make sure you get the model with the temp sensor port. You will need to probably get the graphite donut gasket for that port too. It’s like a conical graphite donut. If you can’t find one, you can use high temp copper RTV to get by. I’ve done it. It won’t last a long time but should hold up for your tests.

When you buy your new one make sure you get the model with the temp sensor port. You will need to probably get the graphite donut gasket for that port too. It’s like a conical graphite donut. If you can’t find one, you can use high temp copper RTV to get by. I’ve done it. It won’t last a long time but should hold up for your tests.
Yep; got the right replacement, I've not been in that area much yet on my 60, but I think I know what kind of gasket you're talking about from my previous experience on vehicles.

Update on this thread:

I apparently am blind as hell, because in the past, under the 60, I could have sworn the cat was factory. Turns out it’s not only not factory, but probably a Cali CARB cat. They also decided to straight weld to the exhaust and cut the flanges (annoying).

In any case, I’m guessing the the carb isn’t the issue here.

Checked the smog system closely, everything is working, as I suspected.

Back to tuning the carb: it sounds like I have two options: 1) take it to a carb tuning shop and have them get it to pass smog. Or 2) have a muffler shop come in and weld an O2 sensor bung onto the exhaust, attach a wideband sensor and do the tuning myself.

Im leaning toward the latter, but if anyone has any other advice, I welcome it.

Update on this thread:

I apparently am blind as hell, because in the past, under the 60, I could have sworn the cat was factory. Turns out it’s not only not factory, but probably a Cali CARB cat. They also decided to straight weld to the exhaust and cut the flanges (annoying).

In any case, I’m guessing the the carb isn’t the issue here.

Checked the smog system closely, everything is working, as I suspected.

Back to tuning the carb: it sounds like I have two options: 1) take it to a carb tuning shop and have them get it to pass smog. Or 2) have a muffler shop come in and weld an O2 sensor bung onto the exhaust, attach a wideband sensor and do the tuning myself.

Im leaning toward the latter, but if anyone has any other advice, I welcome it.
Whatever you do don’t ruin your catalytic converter! I just looked at the prices of the magnaflo aftermarket units. They used to cost around $300 and now they’re $1200-$1500.....🤯

Whatever you do don’t ruin your catalytic converter! I just looked at the prices of the magnaflo aftermarket units. They used to cost around $300 and now they’re $1200-$1500.....🤯
Yeah, they’re insane. I’m not keen on replacing it.

Must be demand pricing… I had a Magnaflow installed in my 60 about 4 years ago and it was in the 300 range as I recall. With all the cat theft on the west coast the replacement units must be scarce.

Must be demand pricing… I had a Magnaflow installed in my 60 about 4 years ago and it was in the 300 range as I recall. With all the cat theft on the west coast the replacement units must be scarce.
Have you seen the cost of precious metals lately? I doubt petty theft is causing a 5x increase in cost. My sister is a jeweler and she can hardly afford to keep supplies in stock to make basic things or to do repairs. I ordered an adapter for a Holley sniper set up a month ago and it was backordered. Suppose to ship today. It’s backordered again until 11/9/21 and I suspect the part is discontinued. Toyota has retired a bunch of production across the board because of supply issues. And they’re not the only ones... This kind of thing happened world wide in 1940-1945....

I think specifically as it relates to catalytic converters, the rise in demand for both the finished items and the raw materials are a factor, as well as global logistics and manufacturing being impacted by covid.

Not good news on the Sniper parts though… that's my next project on deck. I have the manifold to Sniper adapter from Redline but not the adapter to connect to the intake hat/snorkel. Also need some other supporting bits.

I think specifically as it relates to catalytic converters, the rise in demand for both the finished items and the raw materials are a factor, as well as global logistics and manufacturing being impacted by covid.

Not good news on the Sniper parts though… that's my next project on deck. I have the manifold to Sniper adapter from Redline but not the adapter to connect to the intake hat/snorkel. Also need some other supporting bits.

I think this is the next best option. I went ahead and grabbed one. I have everything else I need and I need to get everything installed as soon as possible. We’ll see how the fitment goes next week...

Just realized you’re talking about a different adapter... I got this kit. I read somewhere at some point that it has the adapter ring needed for our rigs... Mr. Gasket 6411G Mr. Gasket Air Cleaner Spacers | Summit Racing - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-6411g

To be honest, the easiest way to pass smog is to register the car somewhere like Salem. Only the Portland area requires smog tests. I've thankfully never had to smog any of my cruisers.

To be honest, the easiest way to pass smog is to register the car somewhere like Salem. Only the Portland area requires smog tests. I've thankfully never had to smog any of my cruisers.
That’d be nice, but I live in Portland, so unfortunately my hands are a bit tied there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom