Carb trouble (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New to the forum and landcruisers. I recently rebuilt the motor and transmisssion/transfercase in my FJ60. The cruiser is my daily driver and load it up with gear to get out of town rig. I am not a hardcore 4x4'er, but do need some power for pulling a light trailer on occasion. The mechanic who did the rebuild thought that a Holley 500 would be a good carb, since he got rid of all the emissions and installed headers. I never have been convinced that the Holley is the way to go, and from reading the forum, it seems as though I am not the only one that thinks this way. Specter has been my main source for parts, are there better sources for a stock, non-usa carb? I take good care of my landcruiser, but am not much of a mechanic beyond the basics. All I need is a good carb that will get me a reasonable balance between HP and fuel economy. Pulling the light trailer, I get about 12.5MPG. Can I get better with a stock carb?

Also, since the stock exhuast manifold has been replaced with headers, I have been told that the heat form the exhaust is no longer available to warm the carb and atomize the fuel, effecting mileage and power. Is this true? If so, any suggestions on how to fix the problem?

i dont know about the header heat issue, but they didnt make the stock carbs for fun.
IMO, the stock is the only way to go. when i got my 60, there was a weber on it, and after fiddling with it for about a year, i tossed it in the trash, and got an OEM.
expensive, but worth it.
BTW, you dont really see the words "fuel economy" too much here, unless your talking about a diesel.
hammer
212k now......and goin' strong!

Get one (OEM) from Cruiserparts.net, and have Jim C rebuild it for you. He will make it custom for your truck.

Zack

Thanks for the info. I am finding out that cruisers and fuel economy don't go together, but nowdays a few MPG's extra could mean a few more bucks to keep on fixing up the '83.

Ryan S.

I just got my 2F carb back from FJ40 Jim and let me tell you, it changed everything. I have a '84 FJ60 with 220,000 that was hard to start, idled rough, ran hot, had no power going up hills AND had awful MPG. Jim did his thing and all of the above disappeared. After reading so many endorsements of Jim's work on this BB and the many posts re: the advantages of keeping the stock carb, I took this course of action and could not be happier.

Jim Chenoweth (FJ40Jim) gets ~15-16 MPG out of his 60.

He will build your carb to your specs, and will also rebuild your dizzy and adjust the advance curve on that.

Mark, of Mark's Off Road offers similar services.

I believe you may be able to get a carb from Jim or Mark.

I hear headers do make for longer warm ups. I think SOR or MAF sell a kit that circulates engine coolant under the carb to help warm up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom