Carb Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wrote yesterday about some problems I was having with my 87 FJ60 running rough, backfiring, and pinging. I finally took it in to my Toyota dealership and they said something I have never heard of before.
The PO put a brand new carb on right before I bought the cruiser 3 years ago. They said that the carb had never been adjusted because it came from the factory pre set and the only way to adjust it was to drill out the adjustment screws, tap them and then set it. WHAT? So they say there is no vacuum leak just a $350 carb adjustment that is needed. Has anyone EVER heard of that? :dunno:

excuse the lack of caps and spelling, my other hand is full of jimmy john's :D

the only adjustment they could make by drilling out plugs is idle mixture. that would have no effect on pinging and backfiring unless it was at an idle.

they are full of hooey

I had a '87 F350 w/460 same thing. preset and they had to drill it out to adjust it.

I'm really thinking about just putting a webber on it, desmoging it and forgeting about it. Since it's an 87 it's just got sooo much vacuum stuff on it. Anyone think of any pro's or con's against de-smogging it. :-/

If it's pinging and backfiring I would say it's a timing problem, and yes you do have to drill out the plugs to adjust. I personally wouldn't de-smog but would go to fuel injection. I always try to stay with the idea of cleaner air, tread lightly etc. because of the environmental issues and the fact that the smog stuff is a pain but really doesn't take away much power. Remember, they want any excuse to take 4 wheeling away from us.

If it's pinging and backfiring I would say it's a timing problem, and yes you do have to drill out the plugs to adjust. I personally wouldn't de-smog but would go to fuel injection. I always try to stay with the idea of cleaner air, tread lightly etc. because of the environmental issues and the fact that the smog stuff is a pain but really doesn't take away much power. Remember, they want any excuse to take 4 wheeling away from us.
Not always but sometimes old smog equipment can worsen emissions, cause it gets clogged and old and stuff, especially if his engine is backfiring and pinging, running rough in general, getting rid of carb and smog would probably better his unburnt fuel emissions, and he would run more efficiently. Not always the case but sometimes it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom