Carb fan on fj60, not turning on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good to know guys. That should help others. I remember now. Mine was white/black. Burned up from the heat. That's why it was replaced :)

It also had a green connector. Which I eliminated. I'm a rebel. That thing was toasted as well. That's Texas for ya.

Awesome pics and feedback. I found the bloody thing! My fan is up and running now, turns off on its own.

Ok, to the top!

The white wire coming from the sensor- where does this run and get connected to? Mine is still hooked up via the connector, but no wire. So I tried running a wire from this connection to a random body bolt as a ground and the fan doesn't come on. However, as I type this, she is now idling with the hood down to bring her up to temp.

ForumRunner_20121201_140602.jpg

Then, out of the fan itself there are two wires: one is yellow with black stripe, the other is blue with red stripe (well this is coming out of the green connector actually). These two dive into the wire loom. Any thoughts as to a problem here? I know nothing about wiring!

ForumRunner_20121201_140943.jpg

Also, hey Kline- why is it your drivers side fender is without clutter like mine. Check out this pic. Are you desmogged?

ForumRunner_20121201_141515.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help!

Danny
ForumRunner_20121201_140602.jpg
ForumRunner_20121201_140943.jpg
ForumRunner_20121201_141515.jpg

Can anyone tell me where the white wire from the sensor gets connected to on the other end? Kline, it looks like your red wire from the sensor goes directly into your harness, albeit sans the green connector. Kinda how my green connector wires into the harness. However I would like to leave the green connector intact with my current very limited knowledge about wiring.

Thanks in advance!

Danny

Ok so I just took a stab at this because I am having hot start issues. I remembered there being a random wire that was hanging off of the loom that Dan's connectors are connected too (I have the same connectors). It was busted off and I had not clue where it went. Well with Kline's pics I found the sensor under the carb and sure enough it looked like Dan's pic, ring terminal still connected just wire busted off.
Only wire I had at the house that was not speaker wire was 12AWG (believe original is 16 or 18) so I added a new ring connector and then ran to the pic below where the wire is coming out of the loom.

Untitled by renofizz, on Flickr

As you can see it looks like it was spliced once before so hopefully the wire is not toast. I started her up for a few minutes and let it run but nothing happened. Gonna make a run around the neighborhood and see what happens.

For those that need to know, the nut the holds the ring terminal to the sensor is 7mm.

Greg, thanks for the thread resurrection. I had postponed (given up), as I have no idea when it comes to wiring.
The loom you are holding in the pic: is this the loom that leads to the firewall from the fan?
Also, does the wire coming out of the loom, before the spliced end, look factory?
I can't for the life of me find no such "tie in" into my loom.
Thanks again.

SHE'S ALIVE!!!! Carb fan now turns on when engine is shut down.

And Dan...
Here is the connector that goes to the fan.
You can see where the green connector goes into the loom and then there is a smaller set of wires that come out of the loom and are held to the wheel well by a tan plastic tab. That is the wire loom that my one wire was coming out of that was broken.

Take some pics of the loom in that area for us and maybe we help figure out where your wire is... The stock wire is plain black (at least from what I could tell).

Last edited:
SHE'S ALIVE!!!! Carb fan now turns on when engine is shut down.

And Dan...
Here is the connector that goes to the fan.
You can see where the green connector goes into the loom and then there is a smaller set of wires that come out of the loom and are held to the wheel well by a tan plastic tab. That is the wire loom that my one wire was coming out of that was broken.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gfisicaro/8480657520/

Take some pics of the loom in that area for us and maybe we help figure out where your wire is... The stock wire is plain black (at least from what I could tell).

Greg,
A couple posts up above (sorry, android app doesn't indicate post numbers) I posted some pics of my smogged set up of my driver side innrer fenderwell. Can you tell from there? If not let me know, I'm willing to snap some more to eradicate my issue...

cant tell from your pics Dan.... follow the loom that is coming out of the the connectors and going along the fender/wheel well towards the front of the vehicle. I should split pretty quickly and go towards the Fuel Cut Solenoid. That loom that goes to the fuel cut solenoid is where mine was coming out of..

oh and mine is an 85 so dont know if things changed somewhere along the way.

LOL.. yes there is... it is my redneck desmog fix for the extra exhaust section that comes out to the emissions stuff. I know I need to lop that bitch off and weld it shut but just haven't gotten around to dropping that yet.

Dan - did you ever get yours working?

Dan - did you ever get yours working?

Nah, I'm not confident enough with electrical stuff to take a stab at it. I would need my hand held and physically shown which wire the sensor wire connects in to. The wife and I have gotten pretty good at warm starts anyway, good ole San Diego weather :D. Plus I have been working out of town a lot.

Nah, I'm not confident enough with electrical stuff to take a stab at it. I would need my hand held and physically shown which wire the sensor wire connects in to. The wife and I have gotten pretty good at warm starts anyway, good ole San Diego weather :D. Plus I have been working out of town a lot.

Likely as not you'll find a loose wire dangling around back there by the firewall somewhere...

You really should do this. There is no easier electrical repair anywhere. The broken wire will be obvious, splice in some new wire, attach to the sensor. This is at most 30 minutes of work.

Thanks for the encouragement, gentlemen. I'm coming home tomorrow and will be home until Sunday, so I will have a look for a dangling connection point. I swear I have looked and looked along the wiring loom for any sign of one to no avail. I'll report back.

Maybe try feeling and see if it just happens that the PO decided he didnt know what it was and electrical taped it back to the group. See if you can feel a large lump in the loom or maybe you will find the stubbed wire cut at the tape.

I'm hoping I've found my mystery wire for the carb cooling fan. Is this it?

image-533608261.jpg

image-2029479894.jpg

This is a shot of the same wire with connector flopped over toward the carb fan:

image-1478734749.jpg

I had thought that the wires and connectors to the right were what I was trying to find, as they go straight from the loom (yet another new term for me) to the fan. Sounds like from all folks have posted, the (right side of pic) wires from the fan dive into the loom then resurface out again to the connecter and loose wire I'm holding int the dirt two pics
I think my wire could have barely made it to the temp sender back in the day, but have since been pretty much torched by exhaust manifold heat.
Danny, I'm with you in smogness -- there is no room to maneuver around there. Had to make videos dangling my phone down under the manifold to find the temp sensor connection. If my wire is indeed "the" wire, I'll take some more pics of the wiring loom/s if it would help to find yours. My PO or PPO had done some funky stereo wiring, which I'm still trying to figure-out. Still, gotta focus on getting "The Dump Truck" (what my 4 y/o daughter decided to name it) running better before I delve into luxuries like a stereo.

Hunt

image-533608261.jpg

image-2029479894.jpg

image-1478734749.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom