Carb Fan Continuously Runs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

orikawa

orikawa
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.orikawa.net
Grounded my cut taped up wire, and my carb fan continuously runs. There are two wires blue/red and white/black going into the firewall from the fan.

These lead to a bulk harness and I would like to know (before tearing into wiring harness) where these wires go, and/or what relay/timer needs to be replaced in order for the carb fan to run for the normal amount of time.

in the picture, the "round aluminum cylinder" behind the choke cable burned the $HHT out of me. what does that cute little thing do?
Grandma 008.jpg

doh. it says blower relay on it... hadnt pulled everything out and it's gettin dark. still i'd like to know what that other smaller ?relay? is...

will replacing "blower relay" fix my continuously running carb fan?

im just working through this one on my own i guess...

that relay that burned me must not be switching... i believe it's a heat activated time switch connected to the "blower relay". got dark before i could pull the whole harness down and give it a thorough gander, but they must be connected. looks like im getting a new one soon.

Mine is grounded to the body and it runs for 30 minutes every time I shut off the truck, but it does shut off. Have you let yours run that long to confirm it does turn off ? I think the length of time it runs is controlled by the fan control computer in the passenger side front kick panel.

It has not seemed to have affected the battery performance in any way. I need to splice the wire and eventually connect it back to the sensor.

I was working through getting my fan to run, and looked into replacing the blower relay in the picture. It's less than $15.00 from Toyota (it was about $30.00 from NAPA for some reason- they would have to order it). Anyway, maybe the relay is stuck open?

I would start with replacing it. If that doesn't help, you'll probably need to find a replacement "computer" for the passenger side kick panel.

30 minutes! snap... looks like i got to wait a few more minutes. i guess i'll give it thirty~~ minutes and see what it thinks about that...

i've only waited 20mins max, the word was it shuts off at ten at that point. thanks all.

I thought it was tied into the sensor under the exhaust manifold. If you are missing the heat shield that goes around the rear of the exhaust manifold , it will take longer for the sensor to cool down, therefore allowing the fan to run longer. I may be wrong but mine ran 25minutes and when I installed all the heat shields on my exhasut manifold it dropped to 5 to 8 minutes.

I mistakenly grounded my wire when I attached it to the heat sensor off of the manifold. The electical fitting was bent and it spun around when I tightened it and it was grounded. I think it ran for about 25 minutes before it shut off. After I found out the problem, it shut off in 10 to 15 min.
Bottom line: make certain that the wire is only touching the pole on the sensor.

ahh perfect, thanks worm. it does shut off after a long time and the engine is a bit cooler, i'm going to look into what you're talking about in the morning... i got all new vacuum lines put in today. thanks guys

OH worm, where is or what color is the manifold temp sensor? towards cyl 5-6, drivers side, one wire?

drivers side hidden in the back below the intake manifold on the exhaust manifold, one wire. and most likley everything down there is going to be brown in color.

perfect perfect perfect. The wire i found (black?) was just hanging there and on my friends truck that same wire was grounded on one of the Smog valve mounts. that's the rigging i had in the previous posts and it would run for a long time... BUT IT WAS SUPPOSED to be going to the temp sensor... I found the temp sensor and took the other end of the burnt a$$ wire off and will resolder right now. hopefully the temp sensor isnt shot, just the wire.

^^^thx for that post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom