FJ 60 Stock Electric Fan:When should it come on? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Take a look at the picture and notice the red arrow pointing at the auxiliary fan(?).

My question is this: When is it supposed to come on? I was looking in the owners manual and it seems like it's an "extra" fan to help cool down the engine.

I haven't notice it come on and was just wondering when it should.

Thanks!
electricfantlc.JPG

That one only comes on when you turn the engine off to stop everything getting too hot above the exhaust manifold
If it didnt have all that smog equipment ,they wouldn't need it.

Ahh that makes sense. I guess I'd better check it because it's not coming on....unless it doesn't ALWAYS come on?

Time for a Haynes or Chilton's manual. It's the first thing on my list!

It does not always come on. It has to get a certain temp before it kicks in. If you hear it working sometimes the it is working correctly.

There is a wire that goes from the general location of the carb fan down to a temperature sensor that is mounted below the exhaust manifold. It's mounted to a piece of sheet metal that is attached to the pipe that the PCV valve connects to. When the temperature sensor is hot, it completes a circuit to ground and the fan comes on. If the wire is disconnected or the sensor is missing/not working, then the fan won't come on.

The fan circuit doesn't show up in the wiring diagrams in my Toyota Body & Chassis manual (10/1984) but it does show up in the B&C supplement for 1985. The fan is powered through the dome light fuse and also has two relay's associated with it. I think one of them has a timer built into the relay.

Last edited:
You can also just take the broken ground wire (which is probably the source of the problem) that is hanging from the side of the carb cooling fan, and ground it to a bolt on the frame or something. This will make the fan go on each time you turn the key off for exactly the same amount of time (about 30 mins I think).

This is what I did, since it was easier than repairing the ground connection to the exhaust manifold. And it works great, no vapor lock, and it doesn't even come close to hurting my battery.

You can also just take the broken ground wire (which is probably the source of the problem) that is hanging from the side of the carb cooling fan, and ground it to a bolt on the frame or something. This will make the fan go on each time you turn the key off for exactly the same amount of time (about 30 mins I think).

This is what I did, since it was easier than repairing the ground connection to the exhaust manifold. And it works great, no vapor lock, and it doesn't even come close to hurting my battery.

So there should be a wire hanging from the cooling fan? I don't see anything there or any remnants of one. I do see the broken piece of wire with a connector in the area of the carb towards the bottom.

Do you maybe have a picture of what your cooling fan's ground wire looks like?

Thanks!

There is a wire bundle (harness) that's pinned (plastic clips) to the wheel well; passes under the carb fan...at that point, a few wires are fanned out: carb solenoid and 'sensor' ( I think the brake fluid level sensor too) . The fan sensor wire is light blue (little darker than baby blue). This wire terminates in a white plastic junction (plug - jack). Out of this junction, a same colored wire will go to the sensor.

HTH

Pete

The arrow towards the engine indicates the approx location of the sensor. Follow the wire from the bottom of the fan housing (other arrow) to a green connector. The connector goes to the sensor on a bracket bolted to the manifold (intake)

If you ground the wire from the fan, it should go on. If it doesn't the fan may be bad. You need the FSM for the procedure to test the sensor. Also check for wire cut, burnt, or other wise F'd up.

The smaller pic has the sensor and wire attached to the INTAKE manifold.... (manifold turned upside down, so on the side near the firewall)
770e_1.JPG
electricfantlc.JPG

Last edited:
Maybe the first thing on your list should be the Factory Service Manuals... (FSM)

A quick search for "Carb Fan" should help also! :beer:

I agree...I was about to buy a Haynes editions, but it's not detailed enough. I imagine it's a fortune at a Toyota stealership.

I'll look online for one.

Thanks

The arrow towards the engine indicates the approx location of the sensor. Follow the wire from the bottom of the fan housing (other arrow) to a green connector. The connector goes to the sensor on a bracket bolted to the manifold (intake)

If you ground the wire from the fan, it should go on. If it doesn't the fan may be bad. You need the FSM for the procedure to test the sensor. Also check for wire cut, burnt, or other wise F'd up.

The smaller pic has the sensor and wire attached to the INTAKE manifold.... (manifold turned upside down, so on the side near the firewall)

Great pictures! That wire coming from the sensor attached to the manifold is long gone. I gotta look for the other end of where that wire plugs into. The heat does bad things to these plugs and wires!

I'll probably just end up rigging some connector to the sensor and grounding it like others have done.

Thanks!

Try

http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/

Good helpful people. Got all of my manuals from them for less than ebay on some, same as ebay for others. But I got 'em all at once! Email them, don't buy what's online. Tell them you want reprints or used reprints. Not the originals, which are expensive, for some unknown reason (to me). I think I paid about $130 tota, shipped, for all the FSMs- 2F manual, Body and Chassis, and Emissions manual. and maybe some other crap I've never looked at!

Where in Sunny So. Cal. are you?

Last edited:
There is a wire bundle (harness) that's pinned (plastic clips) to the wheel well; passes under the carb fan...at that point, a few wires are fanned out: carb solenoid and 'sensor' ( I think the brake fluid level sensor too) . The fan sensor wire is light blue (little darker than baby blue). This wire terminates in a white plastic junction (plug - jack). Out of this junction, a same colored wire will go to the sensor.

HTH

Pete

Thanks! I've seen that harness, but not the wire that goes to the carb cooling fan sensor. I'm sure it fell apart a while ago. I'm sure some of it is left so I can at least ground it.

Thanks!:grinpimp:

Try

http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/

Good helpful people. Got all of my manuals from them for less than ebay on some, same as ebay for others. But I got 'em all at once! Email them, don't buy what's online. Tell them you want reprints or used reprints. Not the originals, which are expensive, for some unknown reason (to me). I think I paid about $130 tota, shipped, for all the FSMs- 2F manual, Body and Chassis, and Emissions manual. and maybe some other **** I've never looked at!

Where in Sunny So. Cal. are you?

Great! Thanks for the info...I'm in the San Gabriel Valley.:cool:

Well, I finally go the Carb Cooling fan going today.

I got under the FJ60 and took the 6mm nut off and there was the connector, broken. I spliced a new connection on some new wire and hard wired it to the other end of the broken wire at the wiring harness.

I took a drive to Azusa Canyon for the first time in this FJ60. (incidentally, i noticed I was pinging on the way up, maybe it's the timing or EGR valve?).

I stopped at one of the areas you can pull off from and noticed something was "ON" when I shut the truck off and got out. It was the Carb Fan! Success! Starts a lot easier now after it's warm.

Thanks to everyone that helped.

Now....about this pinging...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom