Carb Cooling Fan/Missing Relay(s)? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Since I bought my FJ60 approx 1 year ago my interior dome light has never worked. Bulb looked good so checked the fuse next and noticed it was missing completely.

This past weekend I put a 7.5A fuse in, Dome light works...great. Drive home to my folks place, all good. The next day when I was walking up to the truck I noticed a noise was on and it sounded like a fan. Opened the hood and realized (after searching on here!) it was the carb cooling fan. The motor was warm to touch so guess it had been on overnight.

For now I just unplugged the wiring harness so the fan doesn't run.

First thing I searched on here to read about the carb cooling fans and have seen others had issues, this thread was super helpful.

So as I now understand, the carb cooling fan needs the dome light fuse in and working to run, hence why it's now working - but it's not turning off.

To troubleshoot after reading up on here I checked my relays behind the fuse panel as I understand there is a cooling fan relay here and it upon looking it looks like I am missing a couple of relays but I am struggling to figure out which ones are missing? I have attached an image to show you.

I have been trying to use the below image from the FSM as a comparison but it doesn't appear to match up. There are three spaces to the side of the turn signal flasher in my photo, but only 3 spaces in total for relays in the FSM image.

Any advice here would be great. Would the fan run but not turn off if the relay was missing?

I just want to rule out this before further investigating the temp sensor etc as I know that's most commonly the issue...

IMG-6462.JPG

Last edited:
It's more likely the carb fan timer that's under the passenger kick panel.

Also, make sure the wire that goes to the thermoswitch at the exhaust manifold hasn't burned thru and is touching a ground. But if the fan just continues to run, probably the timer.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
This was my solution…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom