Cara’s 80 getting some love again (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.mcdesignsoffroad.com
I finally got enough of the barn cleaned out for my wife’s 80 to go back in.

The owner of the machine shop that rebuilt our 1fze is stopping after work Monday to do a borescope of the pistons. I don’t think he wants it to be the rings, but when I did a ‘scope, the .040” pistons still look new.

When it quit running well only 6k after the rebuild (4.6 with Yota pistons) I parked it. I only had two ok cylinders, but even they didn’t match with compression numbers.

Reviving "the wife's" 80

Someday I’ll be able to finish fabbibg the front bumper, and a rear one similar to what Luke builds at 4x4labs, but better.
4760e336-9ac6-4eae-982b-2d0dffc607d8-jpeg.1774752

My neighbor helped me move the Bruizer with his little old diesel Kubota.
471CF72E-8F91-47C3-8F4A-39ACC83DA4A1.jpeg

Engine gasket set from MrT $342.21:crybaby:

Still, getting it back in action = priceless!

Yessir.
McGeorge Toyota Parts Online | Your Source for Genuine Toyota online parts | parts.mcgeorgetoyota.com

They usually are around 34% off list. The kit used to be a valve grind kit and it is still listed as such but really it is the complete engine kit
PN: 04111-66036. There are a few other items for a full rebuild that are not in the kit but I don't remember which they are for sure. There are a couple of threads in the 80 forum that list them. With what you are doing I bet you are good with this kit.

We’re down to the main mechanical parts to pull. Tomorrow we will take the shifter cover off inside, pull the driveshafts and tcase crossmember and we should be in good shape to pull the drivetrain.

@jacamp003 came out to the barn and helped me pull the intake manifold parts and the wiring harness.

BA983020-9179-4579-B174-923B6A092DBC.jpeg

2E165C37-E054-4D0A-99DB-ED51BF433D92.jpeg

Good work! Looks like it could jump out on its own at this point

Lots of updates on the wife’s truck thread. Reviving "the wife's" 80

I’m working on a better radiator support and right front fender while waiting for engine rework.

The engine had the head gasket fail between the 4 rear cylinders. The shop found that we had severe detonation determined by severe wear and deformation in the top rod bearings.

Well, I was home for a few days to take delivery of the master gasket kit Pat sent me the link for, thank you Pat!

I blasted and repainted the crank pulley and dropped it and the gasket kit off at the machine shop before an AF drill weekend and another west coast trip today.

There is progress..

The block and head took a combined .009” milling before being bolted back together. The rods have new bearings and they are waiting on a missing oil pump gasket from the kit and for me to drop off the timing chain tensioner.

That leaves me to getting the injectors cleaned and flow checked and to inspect the injector harness for possible EGR-burnt wires.

It’s coming!

The block and head took a combined .009” milling before being bolted back together. The rods have new bearings and they are waiting on a missing oil pump gasket from the kit and for me to drop off the timing chain tensioner.

That leaves me to getting the injectors cleaned and flow checked and to inspect the injector harness for possible EGR-burnt wires.

It’s coming!

Cool!
There is a thread in the 80 section somewhere that documents every missing part and number from the "complete" gasket kit. I need to find that and save it. Sucks to get almost there then wait on one or two things.

Won't be long though it sounds like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom