Capri or Horizontal Blue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone identify the color of my FJ40? It has a 5/72 build date. All my searching shows Capri Blue ending at the 71 model year and some color charts don’t show Horizontal Blue in 72. Thanks for any help you can provide.

9094FDE3-99C8-4096-8452-0DB4CD7948A9.jpeg

Having a 12/72 build '73 that is the same color as yours has me second guessing like you. Paint tables/charts show one thing and yet the color of our vehicles indicates something else. The crazy thing is that I've been unable to find any information showing Capri Blue was used on '73 FJ40's.

Having a 12/72 build '73 that is the same color as yours has me second guessing like you. Paint tables/charts show one thing and yet the color of our vehicles indicates something else. The crazy thing is that I've been unable to find any information showing Capri Blue was used on '73 FJ40's.
Same here. I’ve gone back and forth between Capri and Horizontal several times.

1/75 Toyota started putting a paint code on the VIN plaque under the hood. Look around and I see charts showing different colors on different years used. Not sure I have ever seen a chart put out by Toyota for the FJ40. If Toyota put out one today I doubt I would trust it to be 100% accurate.

Believe Capri Blue was used from 66 to 74. Hatch is off my 68. Tailgate was pulled off a 73 FST. Gas tank cover was off a 74. 74 is the first year of for. That cover. My 68 is a 9/67 and original paint when I bought it in 74. I remember buying the reverse light when I bought the tailgate to get the hardware for a friend. Wouldn't have bothered if it wasn't a 73. Tailgate and gas tank cover were purchased from wrecking yards over twenty five years ago. Possibly back in the eighties.

IMG_20190520_140952371.jpg
IMG_20190702_105436174.jpg

My 79 is 854 Sky Blue. Have some other 77/78 is the same color. Those are the only two blues I remember being on the FJ40 mid sixties to 8/80.
IMG_20190822_185941082.jpg
IMG_20190831_161907913.jpg
IMG_20200817_091528163.jpg

Those other colors may have been used other Toyota models

Capri.
Horizon would be the color of the sky in your pix.
Thank you. Just to be sure I understand because I’ve seen both listed, you are saying it’s Horizon Blue not Horizontal Blue?

My research from a few years ago. Tracking down obsolete paint codes in modern paint formulas presents a problem.

Based upon my research, I believe horizontal blue was the factory color in January 1973.

Post #23:

Last edited:
@73FJ40 In that post you say you are going with single stage and wet sanding between multiple coats (no clear coat). I'm starting the process of thinking about single versus multi-stage paints. For a newbie who doesn't paint...I'm somewhat undecided about the best route. What was your experience like with the single stage process you outlined? And if anyone knows of a thread that already addresses this then I'd wish to be pointed to it if possible.

My research from a few years ago. Tracking down obsolete paint codes in modern paint formulas presents a problem.

Based upon my research, I believe horizontal blue was the factory color in January 1973.

Post #23:

I tried to down load and post the chart on the first page of the linked thread and got a forbidden. But the Carpi Blue and Horizontal Blue look very close. As I remember you bought this new from McCoy Motors in Flagstaff. By changed do you have the original window sticker or other paper that might have a color listed?

@Living in the Past

Your memory is close, but actually I bought my PTO winch in Flagstaff, back in 1979.

I got my truck second hand in South Hadley, MA in 1977. No manual, no paperwork, just a title and a bill of sale.

@wimberosa

The following is my opinion, and others may have different opinions.

Single stage is equivalent to the OEM paint job. For durability, you need a premium grade of urethane paint. I used the R-M Uno HD. Expect to pay over $400 a gallon, and for complete coverage inside and out, two gallons. Plus hardener isn't cheap.
If you can't afford the high end paint, cheap paint won't last as long.

If you paint it yourself, you'll need respirator protection.

This paint sticks like glue. A few coats, even leaving some orange peel, can be wet sanded out and polished. If you get a scrape, you don't have to worry about base coat/clear coat issues.

@Living in the Past

The original paint on these trucks is 45 - 50 years old. I can't imagine any of it matches the showroom color.

These paint chip sheets are just as old, with unknown scanners and unknown LCD displays.

Color charts:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom