Canyonero's 2012 GX 460 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I drive a Tesla Model 3 everyday for work and never have any seat comfort issues. I have a 2019 Jeep Wrangler that is comfortable all day.

I’ve driven my 2018 F-150 platinum cross country from Colorado to DC and back without any road fatigue. It’s simply better in every way in terms of comfort and ergonomics and NVH.

I do like my GX for what it is, but I’ve owned over 50 cars in the past 25 years, most of them brand new, none less comfortable than the GX. My build is 6’, 190lbs, so not a super unusual size or anything.

Ha, I just sold my Cherokee to buy a GX. Once I get that and my wife promptly confiscates it, I was going to trade our '12 Suburban in for a 2015+f150. Looks like the jokes on her!

I drive a Tesla Model 3 everyday for work and never have any seat comfort issues. I have a 2019 Jeep Wrangler that is comfortable all day.

I’ve driven my 2018 F-150 platinum cross country from Colorado to DC and back without any road fatigue. It’s simply better in every way in terms of comfort and ergonomics and NVH.

I do like my GX for what it is, but I’ve owned over 50 cars in the past 25 years, most of them brand new, none less comfortable than the GX. My build is 6’, 190lbs, so not a super unusual size or anything.
To me, uncomfortable is my wife's Taco.
4Runner and Tacoma seats are hard and don't support me in properly. Ever put any miles in one of these?
I'd need a chiropractor if I were to do a long trip in one of those...

GX seats are definitely better than those in the Tacoma and 4Runner.

I like the idea of a matte finish, have considered it myself. Army green is cool, but I think this is too minty. Should be more like this imo. U.S. Army MERDC FOREST GREEN
9PBmmTS.png

Last edited:
I like the idea of a matte finish, have considered it myself. Army green is cool, but I think this is too minty. Should be more like this imo. U.S. Army MERDC FOREST GREEN
9PBmmTS.png
That would definitely improve the look of your rig. Lighting and the internet can be tricky also. The color code of my wrap is also literally called Army Green.
E18EBB02-3893-4175-B980-172A3C68508A.jpeg

That would definitely improve the look of your rig. Lighting and the internet can be tricky also. The color code of my wrap is also literally called Army Green.

Yeah that looks a bit closer. I considered it, I did vinyl wrap to black out all the chrome and trim pieces -- the issue is that nicks happen very easily with vinyl and it doesn't hold up great especially with any offroading. Repairing it is not cheap at all as the piece has to be completely re-wrapped. I do have a shop here that does stellar work, just not worth 4K+ imo. When I asked them about it even they thought it wasn't a good idea. They are famous for doing all the Teslas straight from the factory here in socal.

Reactions: r2m
Yeah that looks a bit closer. I considered it, I did vinyl wrap to black out all the chrome and trim pieces -- the issue is that nicks happen very easily with vinyl and it doesn't hold up great especially with any offroading. Repairing it is not cheap at all as the piece has to be completely re-wrapped. I do have a shop here that does stellar work, just not worth 4K+ imo.

Its not for everyone.

The seats aren't terrible but they aren't great either, I consider them average. The seats in our LX are slightly better but nothing notable. I have always considered Toyota/Lexus seats to be just average with some of the older seats being down right awful.

I’ll admit the leather quality of Toyota/Lexus is lacking even in 2020 but heated and cooled seats are to die for! And don’t get me started on that heated steering wheel during these Wisconsin winters...insert drool 🤤 emoji here...

Maybe I need to spoil myself a bit more, but I consider the GX seats quite comfortable and I'm only a slightly huskier dude than OP. Granted, I came from DDing a Tacoma for years so maybe I'm subconsciously only really comparing them to those horrendous seats.

I'm coming from a 12 suburban and a Cherokee with corbeau seats. Both of which felt like they have more cushion. I'm about 215 lbs and 6'4. Still playing around with the sewt adjustments though.

I like the perspective of this thread. I recognize the Handle from the 200 series section. The new wranglers def highlight the appeal of Jeeps. I had one as a rental over the weekend and put about 350 miles on it. Front end wandering reminded my of my fathers FJ60, but road noise was surprisingly low given the fiberglass roof w/ no insulation (had a hard top).
But, I got back in my 100 series for the first time in over a week and quickly remembered why I love the land cruiser.
I digress. If the GX isn't costing you a lot insurance and property tax wise, why not keep it?

Having had 2, 100 series Landcruisers (my wife and I both and our own) for over a dozen years, the GX seats feel just as good. Never thought of the GX seats being any less comfortable.
Especially have having put 6,700 miles in 9 days going cross country last month. No complaints other than just the stiffness of old age after a couple of hours behind the wheel.
But opinions are like belly-buttons, everyone has one. ;)
At 6'-0" @ 230 lbs, I make quite an impression on seats (get the pun?)

Having had 2, 100 series Landcruisers (my wife and I both and our own) for over a dozen years, the GX seats feel just as good. Never thought of the GX seats being any less comfortable.
Especially have having put 6,700 miles in 9 days going cross country last month. No complaints other than just the stiffness of old age after a couple of hours behind the wheel.
But opinions are like belly-buttons, everyone has one. ;)
At 6'-0" @ 230 lbs, I make quite an impression on seats (get the pun?)

I agree, I wouldn't say that the seats in the GX or LX are terrible but they aren't the best I've ever owned either. I have a bad back and hip so I am never all that comfortable after a few hours behind the wheel but that's just the norm for me these days.

I usually don't have strong opinions on seats. I've owned about 50 vehicles, most of them new when purchased. My F-150 is hands down the most comfortable vehicle I've ever driven. Unreal comfort. This is in the context of many Lexuses, many Toyotas (including a 200 Series, which was "meh"), BMW, Porsche, etc. etc.

The GX is just not a comfortable vehicle. The seats feel like I'm sleeping on a futon in college again. Small price to pay for looking so cool I guess? :banana:

I usually don't have strong opinions on seats. I've owned about 50 vehicles, most of them new when purchased. My F-150 is hands down the most comfortable vehicle I've ever driven. Unreal comfort. This is in the context of many Lexuses, many Toyotas (including a 200 Series, which was "meh"), BMW, Porsche, etc. etc.

The GX is just not a comfortable vehicle. The seats feel like I'm sleeping on a futon in college again. Small price to pay for looking so cool I guess? :banana:

Interesting. We've owned a few luxury vehicles -- BMW M4, X5, mercedes, and I had an F150 about 15 yrs ago. I haven't really thought about seat comfort in each, but the GX imo doesn't feel noticeably different than any of those. Of course, I weigh about 160 or so and am only 5 7, so I think I'd be comfortable in most vehicles even a Lotus Exige.

• Haha
Reactions: r2m
Interesting. We've owned a few luxury vehicles -- BMW M4, X5, mercedes, and I had an F150 about 15 yrs ago. I haven't really thought about seat comfort in each, but the GX imo doesn't feel noticeably different than any of those. Of course, I weigh about 160 or so and am only 5 7, so I think I'd be comfortable in most vehicles even a Lotus Exige.
Yea, any Lotus I've ever sat in, I'm feeling kind of wedged in and I'm only 6'-0" and back then, under 200 lbs. Most English and Italian cars are kind of tight like that. As a rule, the German cars seem to usually fit big guys (and girls, just to be PC...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom