Canyonero's 2012 GX 460 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Canyonero

Beating up Land Cruisers since 2015
Threads
So I used to own a 2015 Land Cruiser 200 Series. Bought it new, dropped it off at Slee Offroad here in Golden, CO and wrote them a $20k check to build it for me.

Many iterations of that build later, I still wasn't totally happy with the vehicle. Too many shortcomings for me. Short fuel range, bad departure angle, light gray headliner that showed dirt all the time, frustrating infotainment, lack of basic quality inside and with tech (inside silver plastic painted pieces show wear extremely quickly, 360 degree cameras were nice in theory but the resolution was abysmal), so I bit the bullet and sold that truck 3 years after buying it.

I bought a 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. o_O I've had it for a year and just love everything about it. Never owned a Jeep before.

But, I have the need for a 3 row vehicle, and I have a soft spot for Toyota build quality, so I began trying to figure out what might be a good fit for long family trips, towing a travel trailer, and light off-road duty while camping.

The GX checks a lot of boxes. Basically a superior 3 row 4Runner for less money. Smaller than a 200, fits through more trails. Same great Land Cruiser build quality. Used ones are a dime-a-dozen.

I can see past the 200 series LC flaws when I'm only paying $28k for a 44k mile, one-owner example.

So here's "Lando" - (a combination of Land Cruiser and Prado, and fitting with my Star Wars theme for naming vehicles because I'm a loser and that's what I do.)

He's a 2012 GX460 base. Nothing fancy, just a basic GX460 that never towed anything (didn't have a hitch before I put one on), and appears to have only driven to the mall and back for it's first 7 years of low-mileage life.

I haven't done much to it. I wanted to keep the OEM driving characteristics and just make it look more like what it really is and should be - a reliable and capable expedition rig.

-Army Green/Matte Black wrap
-Enkei Brushed Black 17" wheels
-BFG KO tires (similar overall size to what come on GX's)
-Tow hitch and aftermarket brake controller
-Lexus crossbars
-Yakima Megawarrior cargo basket
-Weathertech floormats

That's it. The wrap was expensive, at nearly $4k, but they did an awesome job.

Full disclosure, I also have this listed for sale locally in Denver. My wife is very "meh" about the GX. It's not as comfortable or as nice as our 2018 F-150, we have a Tesla for daily driving, a Jeep for wheeling (and a sxs and other assorted off road things), so the GX is even now mostly relegated to those situations where we're carpooling one of of the kiddos friends to/from soccer or wherever.

But damnit, we will look good doing it!

Before:
IMG_3170.JPG

After
6.8.20 Lando rear.jpg
6.8.20 Lando front.jpg

Personally, the green is too green for me, but LOVE the matte wrap and doing something different! Well done - way cool! I live in Conifer so I will be looking for it.

I think I've seen your rig cruising down 285. Looks nice!

I've got a place in Pine, so I'm up and down 285 all the time.

Inspiration for my army green wrap was that I was very close to pulling the trigger on a TRD Pro Sequoia, but after test driving it, I was pretty disappointed with it for the price. Decided to make my own.

I think I've seen your rig cruising down 285. Looks nice!

I've got a place in Pine, so I'm up and down 285 all the time.

Inspiration for my army green wrap was that I was very close to pulling the trigger on a TRD Pro Sequoia, but after test driving it, I was pretty disappointed with it for the price. Decided to make my own.
I drive 285 a lot so you probably would have seen me. You must not have been driving your Lexus though - can’t imagine not remembering seeing that beauty! Way cool!

So I used to own a 2015 Land Cruiser 200 Series. Bought it new, dropped it off at Slee Offroad here in Golden, CO and wrote them a $20k check to build it for me.

Many iterations of that build later, I still wasn't totally happy with the vehicle. Too many shortcomings for me. Short fuel range, bad departure angle, light gray headliner that showed dirt all the time, frustrating infotainment, lack of basic quality inside and with tech (inside silver plastic painted pieces show wear extremely quickly, 360 degree cameras were nice in theory but the resolution was abysmal), so I bit the bullet and sold that truck 3 years after buying it.

I bought a 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. o_O I've had it for a year and just love everything about it. Never owned a Jeep before.

But, I have the need for a 3 row vehicle, and I have a soft spot for Toyota build quality, so I began trying to figure out what might be a good fit for long family trips, towing a travel trailer, and light off-road duty while camping.

The GX checks a lot of boxes. Basically a superior 3 row 4Runner for less money. Smaller than a 200, fits through more trails. Same great Land Cruiser build quality. Used ones are a dime-a-dozen.

I can see past the 200 series LC flaws when I'm only paying $28k for a 44k mile, one-owner example.

So here's "Lando" - (a combination of Land Cruiser and Prado, and fitting with my Star Wars theme for naming vehicles because I'm a loser and that's what I do.)

He's a 2012 GX460 base. Nothing fancy, just a basic GX460 that never towed anything (didn't have a hitch before I put one on), and appears to have only driven to the mall and back for it's first 7 years of low-mileage life.

I haven't done much to it. I wanted to keep the OEM driving characteristics and just make it look more like what it really is and should be - a reliable and capable expedition rig.

-Army Green/Matte Black wrap
-Enkei Brushed Black 17" wheels
-BFG KO tires (similar overall size to what come on GX's)
-Tow hitch and aftermarket brake controller
-Lexus crossbars
-Yakima Megawarrior cargo basket
-Weathertech floormats

That's it. The wrap was expensive, at nearly $4k, but they did an awesome job.

Full disclosure, I also have this listed for sale locally in Denver. My wife is very "meh" about the GX. It's not as comfortable or as nice as our 2018 F-150, we have a Tesla for daily driving, a Jeep for wheeling (and a sxs and other assorted off road things), so the GX is even now mostly relegated to those situations where we're carpooling one of of the kiddos friends to/from soccer or wherever.

But damnit, we will look good doing it!

Before:
View attachment 2333561
After
View attachment 2333562View attachment 2333563
Love the wrap!
For a long time I've been wanting to do either an OD (olive drab) or tan, both matte on my rig, but for the cost, I understand that a matte doesn't stand up as long as gloss because it's the gloss that is the protective coat.
Also, that I don't want to be scratching/peeling up the vinyl with rocks, sticks and anything else that wants to scratch my rig when I'm on a trail.
$4k is a lot for something that's just fluff and can get trashed in one off road event.

Last edited:
Love the wrap!
For a long time I've been wanting to do either an OD (olive green) or tan, both matte on my rig, but for the cost, I understand that a matte doesn't stand up as long as gloss because it's the gloss that is the protective coat.
Also, that I don't want to be scratching/peeling up the vinyl with rocks, sticks and anything else that wants to scratch my rig when I'm on a trail.
$4k is a lot for something that's just fluff and can get trashed in one off road event.
Vinyl is very easy to replace if you scratch or peel it. It actually protects the paint, not just from some pinstripes but sun fade too.

To each their own, but the look is well worth the money to me. It’s better than a $50k TRD pro 4Runner or a $65k TRD Pro Sequoia in my opinion, and for a fraction of the price.

I kinda dig it but I love green so there's a bias there. Nice and simple build, what's not to love. So let me get this straight, you build it up and now you're selling it but this is the build thread too?

Reactions: r2m
I kinda dig it but I love green so there's a bias there. Nice and simple build, what's not to love. So let me get this straight, you build it up and now you're selling it but this is the build thread too?
It’s listed, I’ve had a few offers. Not sure if it will sell or not for my asking price, but I’m enjoying it either way. It generates a lot of conversations and positive vibes.

Posted this up here and on GXOR on FB to give people some ideas on what this simple build would look like. GX’s are reasonably capable out of the box, and by doing this type of build you keep all the great road manners and towing capability, without adding pointless weight and complexity.

The feedback on GXOR on facebook has been a lot more positive!

So why not keep it? I agree that they bridge the gap of capability, comfort and cost.

I'm considering a Rubicon Gladiator when it drops with the diesel simply for a no s***s off-road build but it definitely will lack the comfort and affordability of the GX and most likely the reliability as well.

So why not keep it? I agree that they bridge the gap of capability, comfort and cost.

I'm considering a Rubicon Gladiator when it drops with the diesel simply for a no s***s off-road build but it definitely will lack the comfort and affordability of the GX and most likely the reliability as well.

I might keep it, just because it looks cool, is cheap, and should be reliable.

That said, it’s not nearly as comfortable as my other vehicles. The seat comfort outright sucks, IMO. For every trip, my family of 5 prefers the 2018 F-150 platinum by a long shot. Faster, more efficient, more luxurious, better tech, etc etc. GX is mostly used when we need one more seat.

If you get the Gladiator Rubicon diesel, keep in mind it will likely have wimpy payload. The JLUR diesel Rubicon has like 800lbs payload.

Diesel is worthless in that case, IMO. You can’t tow with it, and 4-lo gearing with the gas engine is plenty low enough for any situation with the 8 speed. Paying a premium for no good reason, unless you’ll be pushing 40” tires.

I wouldn’t count out the reliability of the new Jeeps. I have over a year and 12,000 miles of literally nothing but brutal off road work on my 2019 JLUR. It’s only driven to, from and on trails. 31 Trails, 6 of them Jeep Badge of Honor trails, some done multiple times. Not one issue. The thing is built very well. The v6 is a very proven engine and the 8 speed zf transmission is proven. The skid plates and drivetrain are all overbuilt.

I might keep it, just because it looks cool, is cheap, and should be reliable.

That said, it’s not nearly as comfortable as my other vehicles. The seat comfort outright sucks, IMO. For every trip, my family of 5 prefers the 2018 F-150 platinum by a long shot. Faster, more efficient, more luxurious, better tech, etc etc. GX is mostly used when we need one more seat.

If you get the Gladiator Rubicon diesel, keep in mind it will likely have wimpy payload. The JLUR diesel Rubicon has like 800lbs payload.

Diesel is worthless in that case, IMO. You can’t tow with it, and 4-lo gearing with the gas engine is plenty low enough for any situation with the 8 speed. Paying a premium for no good reason, unless you’ll be pushing 40” tires.

I wouldn’t count out the reliability of the new Jeeps. I have over a year and 12,000 miles of literally nothing but brutal off road work on my 2019 JLUR. It’s only driven to, from and on trails. 31 Trails, 6 of them Jeep Badge of Honor trails, some done multiple times. Not one issue. The thing is built very well. The v6 is a very proven engine and the 8 speed zf transmission is proven. The skid plates and drivetrain are all overbuilt.

While the seats aren't amazing in the GX, they are better than those found in the Tacoma and 4Runner. I have no use for half-ton trucks, if I buy another truck to be used like a truck then it'll be another F-250 or 350. The Gladiator is only appealing to me as a full on off-road toy with a straight a axle and lockers, it won't be used for regular truck duties. I like the Gladiator over the JLU because I can stick my dirt bike in the bed and ditch the hitch carrier, that's literally the main use I would have for the bed. I'd go diesel for the torque to turn 37's or larger and for the better fuel economy. I had a 2012 JKU Rubicon with the 3.6L, meh, you can keep it.

I love Jeeps for their capability and what they represent but out of the seven that I have owned every single one of them had issues up to and including the 2012 that had to be bought back under Lemon Law. Toyota while not as cutting edge on tech and with the less comfortable seats, has always been more reliable for me across the board. That said, I do think that Jeep has gotten better in that department in recent years and that is one reason why I am willing to consider getting another one in the future. I do love my Ford's though and I will have another Super Duty in the next 1-2 years, most likely a Tremor.

After seeing you on the road the other day, your pic on the thread was deceiving - I liked it a LOT more in real life. Wife also liked it.... 🤔😁

After seeing you on the road the other day, your pic on the thread was deceiving - I liked it a LOT more in real life. Wife also liked it.... 🤔😁

Ha, thanks! Crazy timing seeing you there. You’re rig is pretty BA looking.

That's interesting that you feel the seats aren't as comfortable as the ones in your F150. I thought Lexus seats were supposed to be pretty plush?

That's interesting that you feel the seats aren't as comfortable as the ones in your F150. I thought Lexus seats were supposed to be pretty plush?

it’s frustrating for sure. I’ve owned a lot of Lexuses and the seats have always been fine, but in the GX it feels like sleeping on a cheap pullout sofa no matter how I adjust the lumbar.

first world problems I suppose!

it’s frustrating for sure. I’ve owned a lot of Lexuses and the seats have always been fine, but in the GX it feels like sleeping on a cheap pullout sofa no matter how I adjust the lumbar.

Have you sat in a 470? If so, how did that compare?

I too am surprised that you can't get comfortable in your GX. My wife and just did a 6500 mile trip to Maine last month AND just yesterday came back from Park City, UT. Up in one day, back in two (700 miles each way). The trip to Maine, ee were pulling off easy 800 mile days and even a 1100 mile day once! Yea, we were a little sore, but even in a Lazy-Boy recliner, one would get sore after that many hours behind the wheel!

I too am surprised that you can't get comfortable in your GX. My wife and just did a 6500 mile trip to Maine last month AND just yesterday came back from Park City, UT. Up in one day, back in two (700 miles each way). The trip to Maine, ee were pulling off easy 800 mile days and even a 1100 mile day once! Yea, we were a little sore, but even in a Lazy-Boy recliner, one would get sore after that many hours behind the wheel!

I drive a Tesla Model 3 everyday for work and never have any seat comfort issues. I have a 2019 Jeep Wrangler that is comfortable all day.

I’ve driven my 2018 F-150 platinum cross country from Colorado to DC and back without any road fatigue. It’s simply better in every way in terms of comfort and ergonomics and NVH.

I do like my GX for what it is, but I’ve owned over 50 cars in the past 25 years, most of them brand new, none less comfortable than the GX. My build is 6’, 190lbs, so not a super unusual size or anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom