Can’t get the e-brake adjustment correct (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

StaticTorque

SILVER Star
Threads
So I’ve been at this for over 50 hours trying to figure out how to get the e-brake adjusted. I replaced all the springs, and replaced the shoes. I’ve been trying different things to get the lever pull where it’s supposed to be. I think I have the star wheel adjusted correctly as it barely doesn’t touch the inside of the rotor, but does make contact. The lever pulls basically up to the verticals position. I am posting some pictures of how it’s setup now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

84362ACB-DD18-4C7E-A222-BB8097763E4A.jpeg

649B94C1-088D-492E-8796-86989B24B211.jpeg

CBA9F89B-296F-482C-AD7C-202D3E01C5DB.jpeg

I also followed this guide as best as I could. When adjusting the bellcranks, I would basically have the backed all the way. And I’m fairly certain that’s not how it’s supposed to be.

4716D93A-ED59-4CD2-89FE-D7CD4BA012D7.png

I adjusted the star wheels to the point where there was just a little friction on the rotor, then adjusted the handle like this, but the handle still engages at the very top.

Could the cable be stretched?

DDF59148-E101-495B-A682-7906E2705429.jpeg

I adjusted the star wheels to the point where there was just a little friction on the rotor, then adjusted the handle like this, but the handle still engages at the very top.

Could the cable be stretched?

View attachment 2655017
Most likely the cable is stretched. I am doing the same thing after replacing my rear rotors and brake pads..the parking brake pads on mine were ok. I did the adjustment by clicking up 2 clicks on the e-brake lever and then adjusting the star adjusters so that they just barely made contact and backed off a bit so the rotor would turn. Now mine engage at the top like yours. Look at the cable that goes to the passenger side. I am sure it has more slack than the cable to the drivers. You can check to see if your passenger wheel still is able to turn while your driver's side does not when you have the e-brake on. Both of those cables have to work in unison but after this many years they are probably stretched.

Back off the e brake handle bolt all the way. Go back to your rotor. Make it swoosh (barely touch the internal drum brakes). Fine tune with the handle bolt.

Bumping this thread:

So I had done all the adjusting I could and everything, still never got the lever pull to where it’s supposed to be. The only thing that I thought it could lead to was the e brake cable, so I replaced that and it didn’t change it to where it was supposed to be. Got a couple clicks better.
But I seem to be having a problem with the bellcranks. They seem to be too loose and wobbly. Doesn’t seem like there’s enough tension for it to leverage and push out into the rotor.

Below is a video I took to try and best show everyone what I’m talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom