Can't Decide!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just did a OME 2.5 med-hev lift on my 97. need tires and not sure what to get.

A lil history first. Truck will be 90% off road desert/rocks mostly. make and size is the biggest issue. Was thinking about BFG 285/75 16's or maybe 305/75's

I am not 100% sold on the BGF's but have seen a lot of them on the trails I been on which is only a few.

want to get them at discount tire for the certs. They will match any price so I need to know where to get a good price for comparison. So far best price is Costco 199.00 each.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!:cheers:

you are already on the right track.

BFG's are great tires, some people quip about the road noise, but that doesn't seem to be an issue for you. I have run BFG AT, MT on lots of my rigs and have always been happy with their all around performance. I have a set of 31" AT's on my Heep with about 20k miles on them that look like new. virtually 0 wear.

There was a recent thread I will look for that debates the 285/305 issue, I think the 285's are actually a tad wider.

I used to get mine at Costco, but the other vendors I would check are Tire rack, and Town Fair Tire, if they are in your area.

I have 295 Nitto's from discount, very happy with them for desert use, much nicer tire than BFGs. If I had it to do again they would be 315s.

Nantucket_LC said:
I think the 285's are actually a tad wider.

305's are wider. The "normal" size is 305/70R16 (not /75)

-B-

I have the BFG M/T in 315's--I really like them. With the lockers they have never let me down. The other tire to check is the Goodyear MTR....that was my first choice but they were back ordered for over 6 months. Consumer reports did a test and really liked the nitto A/T's.

i've had the MTR in 33x12.5 and once they wore down they rode and sounded like crap. rotated every 6k or so. just FYI.

I think the 305/70's look and work great on my dad's truck....MTR's

Be sure to look at Bridgestone Revos. Look up Tirerack survey (Via Google) and see which one is rated the best for off-road. It will be informing.

Grouseman

Nitto Terra Grapplers, i love em, but i concur with tools r us i should have went 315 but i went 305. Now i have my wheels up for sale so i can get 315's.

i'll sell ya my grapplers for $500.00 they are 99% new.

Tools R Us said:
I have 295 Nitto's from discount, very happy with them for desert use, much nicer tire than BFGs. If I had it to do again they would be 315s.
Same here. Ran BFG's for years and put these on the Cruiser. I am completely sold on these tires! After a year with them I put a set on the Tacoma.

I have Goodyear MT/Rs on mine right now 315/75 R16. I would NOT recommend that you go with this size at this point. I doubt you'd be happy with the loss of power off the line.

Given the choice between 285/75 R16 and 305/70 R16, I prefer the 285s for the price and availability -- I think they're more commonly available, so if you need to replace one, you won't need to wait as long to get one.

I like Discount/America's Tire (www.tires.com) for their warranty/replacement certs. I've replaced several tires through them now and have had nothing but good service from them.

I doubt you'll be able to get the tires you want from Costco. They seem to have a new policy in place where they will only mount OEM size tires on a vehicle. Since the 285s are oversized as compared to OEM, they probably wont' mount them for you.

What kind of tire? I threw a question out a while back...let me see if I can find it. It might be helpful (the suggestions already thrown out are pretty good though).

Look here

I have 305 MTR's on the wifes and it wheels really well with the OME heavy's... Not too bad noise wise for a MT tire...... I got them thru Sams club they were about 220 each if I remember right... ordered them thru the web site and had them at the store in a week...

Just remember rotate them often.... like every 3k.. or they get noisy ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom