Builds Canguro Racing's Monica (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice. Glad to see consistency in the flip flops Dave. :)

Yeah not a whole lot has changed. I do wear shoes and even socks when I'm in the race truck but otherwise it's Chaco flips all the time. Even in the pits.

We had a great time with Monica at CruiserFest. We did a presentation covering subjects from car specs to race prep and what it is like to be strapped in the care for 10-15 hours.

14265024_1153643284693673_1406770913227447916_n.jpg
14265024_1153643284693673_1406770913227447916_n.jpg

She is ready to light up the night at the Baja 1000 this next week. Wish us luck!

image.jpg

Monica's off the line and flyin' over the jump into the wash!!! Good luck guys!!!
looking great!

Congratulations on a great race, way to hold it all together!!! So close at the end. Great job to all that drove, and all the support guys.

What a Baja 1000 journey. We were tested both physical and mentally, proving that teamwork indeed makes the dream work. Marc and Will started off strong, preserving the race truck and hanging tight with our competition. Ryan and I took the car at race mile 260 late in the evening and immediately got after it, passing the competition while doing our best to stay warm and preserve energy in what was already going to be a long cold night. Disaster struck at RM 341 when we lost an upper control arm, leaving us completely stranded in literally the most remote part of the racetrack. We were able to summon help from our team but it would take them several hours to arrive and help us make the repair. We fought off the cold with a small campfire and prepared our minds for a potential DNF (Did Not Finish), knowing that the next checkpoint was still over a 120 miles away. Like angels from heaven our chase crew arrived and in just minutes we were back on the course and pushing hard. Soon after I got behind the wheel and we snuck through the checkpoint and finished out early that next afternoon by handing off to Dave and Darren to bring it over the finish line. With over 15 hours on the race course personally logged I was fatigued, but as it turns out the race had just began. Despite our 4 hour breakdown delay we were gaining some major ground on the 1st place competitor and there was a chance we could pass them in the final miles of the race. Dave and Darren pushed hard but we were just too far back, finishing 15 minutes behind 1st place after 32 hours of racing. Thanks to our fantastic pit support for being the backbone of our efforts, and that much needed encouragement on the other end of the radio. Also huge thanks to the team sponsors for their support. Go Canguro Racing! @canguroracing

image.jpg

Great work guys! An amazing feat.

Congrats, that was an awesome job considering the challenges, you even beat the Factory Ford Raptor in the same class.

Congrats, that was an awesome job considering the challenges, you even beat the Factory Ford Raptor in the same class.

Yes, we were a bit worried about them as they had a huge bankroll and factory support pushing them along. There was also another Raptor and two Doge Rams in our class that DNF'd

i web watched this as best I could...I also had you on FB live when you did the feeds.
Was really cool, and even though I was only a spectator, my heart was bounding thru my chest that last hour.
You guys showed real class at the finish line, and true team work.
Loved the story about the fire and how it cracked up the announcer.

thanks for taking your precious time to connect with us at home during the race.

Some neat thoughts from @dmc

Warning: Philosophical Rant Below...

I’ve been doing Chase Rig profiles for the Canguro Racing Instagram feed over the last month or so and this seemingly boring picture got me thinking. Then those thoughts stuck with me. It’s unlikely that anyone would look at this pic and think ‘desert racing chase team.’ Perhaps the gear bags and race numbers might tip off the well trained eye but I doubt it would be anyone’s first reaction. Where are all the dump cans? How about the diesel powered, American built trucks with ladder racks and spare tires? Both to our faces, and behind our backs, people said that we were crazy or that we didn’t know what we were doing. I remember vividly the day that a friend told me that other local ‘racers’ said we were idiots for attempting the Baja 1000. While they sat home worrying about being 100% prepared before attempting the Mil we were celebrating at the finish line in La Paz after 1200 miles of success in our first attempt. See all the Scepter cans in this pic? That is what we used to fuel the race car our first few years. Why? Because we had them and they worked. Chasing in SUVs? Yep, why not? But my thoughts are not about the success and failures of Canguro Racing. This photo stands out to me because we were doing it. I can’t believe how often I read on forums or have discussions with people about all the things they want to do ‘once their vehicle is ready.’ Or when ‘they are in the right position in life.’ I sold my old ARB Fridge a few years ago to a guy who told me he needed it before he could take a trip to a mountain range 2 hours west of SLC and he hoped to make the trip by the end of the summer. I actually told him not to buy my fridge and use the money for gas to go that weekend. He thought I was nuts. I thought the same of him. I sold him my fridge, then went to that same mountain range a few weekends later with little more than a 44oz coke and a camera. The list of people who tell me about their dream trip to Alaska is long. Yet year after year none of them ever take it. I understand the need to be prepared but the reality is when it comes to taking on challenges or pursuing dreams no one will ever be 100% prepared. Except for one thing. The right attitude. The attitude of doing. I don’t know if it’s personality type, experiences, both positive and negative, lack of confidence or just plain old fear but I’m amazed at how many people never DO. Yes it’s a Nike slogan but Just Doing It is really all that most of these people I come across need to realize. Many of the best experiences of my life ended in failure from an outsider’s perspective. And possibly my own at the time. But it was that experience itself that provided the value. Not the result. Is there more value in success? Possibly. But how does one learn the difference? By doing. It seems so fundamental but I’m amazed how often I run across people that can’t understand it. The ‘don’t’ or ‘can’t’ attitude is something I get objectively but subjectively it baffles me. If something matters to me, or I have a goal I want to accomplish, I just start down that path and figure it out as I go. It’s really not that hard. I don’t feel by any means that my accomplishments in life are anything special. I’ve just done what I’ve wanted to do. But I will say that they are somewhat unique and because of that I’m constantly being asked about them. Or more frequently asked advice on how to do it. (Just this morning I’m answering Baja questions from total strangers.) It’s because of that frequency of advice and this boring pic that this little rant occurred. In the end for me it’s about doing. I’d rather not look the part, follow the traditional path, or be 100% ready and achieve my goal than wait and do something perfectly. Because that latter attitude usually results in not doing anything at all. I’ve been blessed to be around many like-minded people that constantly inspire me. More than likely they don’t realize it, and I should probably be better at thanking them, but that’s a topic for another day. Again to most people this picture is boring but to me it is evidence of a pretty successful race team that understands that DOING is the most important thing.

image.jpg

And a great shot from @Inukshuk at the B1k

image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom