TLCA CANCELLED! 2020 Rubithon Thursday Morning Breakfast Run. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey Doug. I backed out of the rubithon last year. But this year I'm in for sure. No excuses. I will be bringing my wife and son. Also my buddy and his wife will be joining us with their fj40.
We were both wondering what your opinion on roof top tents is? We are very limited on space in our fj40s. So the roof top tents really help us in that aspect. They weigh about 110 pounds. So not very heavy.
Thanks Travis

View attachment 2230930
Lots of people run the trail with them. They add weight up high but are convenient. I will have two adults, a (6'10") teen and a 4 year old in a car seat this year. My 80 will be packed to the gills. I would consider a rtt myself just to move bulky sleeping bags/pads and tent up to the roof. Just not sure how the 3 of us would all fit into the rtt. That being said, there are a few off camber sections and the rtt will get you that much closer to tipping.

I will be sporting a Tepui RTT so hopefully that’s not gonna be an issue ? I guess I never thought to ask...

I would run a rtt but my family wont fit in one. When its just me, I can sleep inside my 80. I also tend to carry kayaks and bicycles on my roof so I never bothered to buy one (or to store it in my crowded garage most of the year).

I will be sporting a Tepui RTT so hopefully that’s not gonna be an issue ? I guess I never thought to ask...

Probably not an issue, as long as you constantly account for the higher center of gravity and the boxier shape up top. I've never been on the Rubicon, so I'm just guessing that there will be tight sections. My rig is tall, long and wide so I plan on watching and listening to spotters to get through, shouldn't be any different for you carrying an RTT. I would like to have an RTT on my rig but the one I own is too big for my 45, maybe someday I'll get a smaller one to build into my rack but like Doug I need the rack to carry a kayak or other stuff most of the time. Just my 2 cents.

RTT on Cadillac Hill!

IMG_7287.JPG

IMG_7288.JPG

On the other hand, he was quite nervous! The photo doesn't quite catch the instability as he came off the rock (the tight little S turn/squeze after The Buck Island Lake Dam). He was quite happy to not have an RTT.

IMG_1683.JPG

Hey All! Missed out on the Rubithon the last two years due to the date change and my work but hoping to make it this year. I am on days off for the breakfast run but I work for Cal Fire so it will be fire activity pending as to whether or not I can make it. I really liked the Breakfast Run as is breaks the drive up nicely and it is pretty nice camping at Buck Island. I have ran the trail twice and had a great time and met some really great people out there. I flew over the sierras a few weeks ago and the snowpack didn't look too impressive but after the storm coming in this weekend I was wondering if anyone knew the current status of the snow on the trail? Hope to make it and see/meet you all!

Bryan
_storage_emulated_0_DCIM_Camera_IMG_20160625_120041089.jpg

Hey All! Missed out on the Rubithon the last two years due to the date change and my work but hoping to make it this year. I am on days off for the breakfast run but I work for Cal Fire so it will be fire activity pending as to whether or not I can make it. I really liked the Breakfast Run as is breaks the drive up nicely and it is pretty nice camping at Buck Island. I have ran the trail twice and had a great time and met some really great people out there. I flew over the sierras a few weeks ago and the snowpack didn't look too impressive but after the storm coming in this weekend I was wondering if anyone knew the current status of the snow on the trail? Hope to make it and see/meet you all!

Bryan View attachment 2238821
What’s up Bryan? Are you signing up for kool April night this year?
Blake and I are doing the breakfast run this year for sure. So hopefully you can make it. Dick is putting my new fj60 axle and front lockers on right now. So I should be good to go.

What’s up Bryan? Are you signing up for kool April night this year?
Blake and I are doing the breakfast run this year for sure. So hopefully you can make it. Dick is putting my new fj60 axle and front lockers on right now. So I should be good to go.
Hey How's it going big dog!!! Yeah I am trying to make it with work and see what I can do I am really getting the itch to go again! It's really cool to have a few guys from Redding and if you guys are in the same run that would be awesome! I just saw that Kool April Nites was cancelled until next year which really bums me out. Figured you guys would be there again. I just broke my leg so I am not driving right now but once I am able to we should meet up for a beer or something. I have been riding my quads up at Chappie before I broke the leg maybe we could do a little wheeling out there and try out that new axle! What gears are you going with and locker ? Thanks for reaching out! Good to hear from you !

Cheers, Bryan

Hey all,

We just signed up for the Breakfast Run and are looking forward to our first Rubicon trail experience. I'm in the middle of a big tear down on my truck and this should keep me motivated!

My fiancee and I will be the crew to our 1980 Toyota Short Bed. 4.3 Vortec under the hood with NP241C transfer case, 4L60E transmission, 33" tires, 2.5" OME Lift, 1.5" Body lift, Rear Harrop E-Locker and Front TruTrac with 5.29, rear swingout and rock sliders. I know I'm running the minimum for tires and lift, so I'm not afraid of adding some character to the sheet metal.

I'm working to get my HAM Technician license from our local club at their next test day.

Are dogs allowed to come along?

Hey all,

We just signed up for the Breakfast Run and are looking forward to our first Rubicon trail experience. I'm in the middle of a big tear down on my truck and this should keep me motivated!

My fiancee and I will be the crew to our 1980 Toyota Short Bed. 4.3 Vortec under the hood with NP241C transfer case, 4L60E transmission, 33" tires, 2.5" OME Lift, 1.5" Body lift, Rear Harrop E-Locker and Front TruTrac with 5.29, rear swingout and rock sliders. I know I'm running the minimum for tires and lift, so I'm not afraid of adding some character to the sheet metal.

I'm working to get my HAM Technician license from our local club at their next test day.

Are dogs allowed to come along?
Dogs are allowed. I have taken mine in the past but he hates the truck bumping and banging and freaks out and can get snappy when bears are about or if he is left unattended And tied at camp so he stays home now.

some zip ties and wire nuts and your good to go.

I just signed up. Super excited to be on the Rubicon again.
My first time was last year. started on the Lake Taho side and only did the section till Rubicon springs and back.

Happy to start on Loon Lake this year and hope to finish in one piece:)

1995 FZJ-80.
triple locked.
2.5 lift on 35s.
4.88 gears in axles.

new.png

I just signed up. Super excited to be on the Rubicon again.
My first time was last year. started on the Lake Taho side and only did the section till Rubicon springs and back.

Happy to start on Loon Lake this year and hope to finish in one piece:)

1995 FZJ-80.
triple locked.
2.5 lift on 35s.
4.88 gears in axles.

View attachment 2346899
You driving out here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom