can somebody find the catch here??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

justbecause

perpetually lost.
Threads
this seems like a crazy good deal eBay Motors: ENGINE Silverado Sierra 5.3L V8 1999 low miles 104k (item 380097030673 end time Feb-13-09 12:37:36 PST)

iv never done an engine swap, but im looking @ doing one b/c what iv read makes me believe that a chevy v8 (and 5speed) is alot better on the road than my 2f 4spd and thats mostly where my baby will be

i know its still a huge debate and thats not what im asking about im just asking about THIS item does it look good to you? what should i check out about this engine if i do end up getting it?? any comments/thoughts would be greatly appreciated

you can go to a pick an pull they sell whole motors for about the same price?

and yea 104,000 not that low?

Looks pretty decent. Might want to find out why it was removed, whether those miles were mostly highway or short trips, and what exactly is attached to that particular engine (fan, alternator, power steering pump, etc.). Do you have the computer hardware and controls to run it, or does that come with it? Also, if you are going to do the swap, do you have other infrastructure lined up i.e. radiator, adapters, driveshafts, etc.? I like the 6 month warranty that they have. Hope that helps.

Brian

Howdy! While it SOUNDS like a good deal, there are several catches to it. First, guarantee starts when you buy it, not when you get it put together and running in 4 - 8 months. It is not local, so you have nobody to go to if there is a problem. Who pays the freight it it doesn't run right, and you need to return it. What tranny was it hooked up to? FynWynes makes some good points. I think 10,000 miles per year is low mileage, but, if I were you, I would look locally for a similar engine WITH the tranny you want. Check into the local picknpulls, and watch Craigslist for local rigs. You may find a complete running truck with all the little ancillary goodies that will be a royal pain otherwise. I HIGHLY recommend complete donor rigs, especially with fuel injection/computer systems. I nearly snagged a diesel/5 speed K/20 for $1500. I could of made back over half of that just parting out what I did not need. Yes, it is extra work this way, but it is less $$$. John

Find a complete donor truck--it will save you a lot of money.

THANKS! i was just struck by the price seemed awfully low.. but ill call around monday see what i can ball park here in town...

inkpot what kind of MPG do you get on the highway w/a 350? what tranny & gears do you have
do you happen to know what most people get??

this seems like a crazy good deal
eBay Motors: ENGINE Silverado Sierra 5.3L V8 1999 low miles 104k (item 380097030673 end time Feb-13-09 12:37:36 PST)

iv never done an engine swap, but im looking @ doing one

So whats your plan on the engine management controls....?

I wager no more than a good running 2F..........
Howdy! While I would agree that a carbed, older 350 from the 70's (like mine) would not be much, if any, improvement in MPG, the fun factor goes up bunches. BTDT twice. A fuel injected 5.3 is more efficient than a carbed 5.7, so it MIGHT be better on mileage, especially if you afe going with an NV4500. John

Wait a few more months before looking for a truck or a motor from the local junk yard. The price of metal has fallen through the floor and those trucks are going to start to pile up. Then you can get a real sweet deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom