Can I Mount a Winch on This Brush Guard? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 97 FZJ80 has the brush guard that seems to be on most of the Land Cruisers of this era and while it has lights it also has a big area that seems like it would be perfect for a winch.
I was wondering if my Warn XD9000i would fit on it. Does anyone have any experience mounting a winch on a brush guard?

Thanks

Chad
IMG_4745.JPG

Most brush guards are purpose built and not usually for winches. I would bet there's a winch mount made to fit behind your factory bumper though. Have you checked with Warn about one?

No I haven't. I've seen set ups where they put a winch behind the bumper. I just worry about my cutting skills. :) I just saw all that space and wondered.

Chad

Chad, you could mount a winch there, but never be able to use it. There are multiple write ups in the 80 forum for mounting a winch behind the bumper, and still being able to keep the stock look. Search "winch stock bumper", to start. It is doable, but I'd suggest a purpose built bumper.

Here I am trying to be cheap and you're telling me to go buy new bumpers! :) I was figuring on going that route but like I said, if I could have been cheap and lazy, I would have done that.

Thanks for the advice.

Chad

Here I am trying to be cheap and you're telling me to go buy new bumpers! :) I was figuring on going that route but like I said, if I could have been cheap and lazy, I would have done that.

Thanks for the advice.

Chad
If a bumper isn't designed and made to be a winch bumper then the steel won't be the same as a winch bumper or winch brush guard. I have seen factory bumpers ripped off a vehicle when used as a recovery point. Never cheap out on a product when you will potentially stress it to thousands of pounds of pressure. There is nothing wrong with homemade as long as you know what steel to use, how to properly wield and tie everything in to your vehicles frame.

Last edited:
Chad here's a link to the winch install i did last month using my stock bumper. Factory bumper hidden winch install I had the same brush guard on my truck that you have, it's not nearly strong enough to mount your winch on. Plus if you go with a hidden winch, like what i did, you should get rid of that brush guard anyway. The reason for that, it's more for "street looks", then for protection. Take some time, and do a search on the 80 forum, look up brush guard damage multiplier, and you'll ditch that thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom