Can 1971 drivers seat tracks be diassembled (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thebigredrocker

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm cleaning up all my FJ40 seat frames the slow way, by hand. Yes, I know, I shoulda had them sand blasted. I'm down to my last seat, the drivers. Looks to me like the sliding tracks aren't made to easily come apart. Has anyone's crossed this bridge?

It appears to me I'd need to grind that nub down and tack weld it back up.
IMG_2802.JPG

The nub must go. Find a round head screw the same size as the nub, Drill from the backside with a bit appropriate to the shank of the new screw, tack the new screw in when you're done cleaning the track, and grind flush.

One of the more esoteric tasks I've been paid to do.

And be careful what you wish for. Once the track is clean, you may find that the inner piece has worn down, or that the outer track has a groove in it, that you never noticed when the assembly was packed in...

rattle-canceling grease!

Ahh yes! A round head screw would be better than a gargantuan stack of tack welds. I have been wondering how much slop will show up in the absence of 46 years of crud.

IMG_2804.JPG
I shoulda titled my thread different as I now have another seat question.

Should I bother trying to find 3 big replacent springs, Or pull all the springs and use thicker foam? About 6 of the small connecting springs are also toast.

My passenger seat springs are intact and I plan on leaving/using them unless advised to do otherwise.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom