cam questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok. I finally got the itch and pulled the motor and trans/transer for a rebuild.. the head is off to the machine shop, and I want to replace the cam.. I did a search on RV grinds and aftermarket stuff, but came up w/ little info.. what do you guys think about aftermarket cams, and when you install them do you need new springs, lifters etc..? thanks in advance. BTW, if it helps. I was running a 6-1 header, non-usa dist, and a rochester carb before removal. I will probably be going weber 38/38 or non-usa aisin for a carb. Im looking for best "bang for the buck".

Mike

Is this and F or 2F?
Clifford performance can help you with the cam shaft. You will need to call them as they may not have any listed on their web site.
You lifters can be reground. Take them to your machine shop. If they are cracked or beyond regrinding then you will need to replace.
Your machine shop should be checking your springs and would let you know if you need any new ones.

There's lots of reading on the web but the best quick advice is not to go too big. Keep the duration and lift within reason or you end up moving the torque curve so high into the RPM range that you'll hate your motor on the low end.

As for lifters, YES. Do not put in a fresh cam without using new lifters. As for springs, Why not. You're in there and have a chance to replace guys that are probably tired anyway.

Thanks guys,

I was looking at the MAF RV grind. I had been to the Clifford page before, but I have never heard anything about them quality wise.. My motor is a 2f BTW. When I tore down my motor over the last few days, I determined that my cam is a mess.. It has worn on the edges and looks like it is pitted.. some of my lifters arent looking very good either so I am definitely swapping it out.

Clifford can regrind your cam if it's salvagable for $150, crane and isky will also regrind your cam. MAF is the only aftermarket cam that I found though lots of dilligent searching. Somebody said that Downey might have one also.

I know there are other sources out there for cams. In the past, Clifford has had 3 different grinds. Jt Outfitters had one, $OR had one, and MAF had their RV. Recently, I found another source, although I have not been able to find the name. Worst case, call crane or comp cams and see if they'll make one. They are similar to the chevy six cam.

Stock cam does a great job and "fits" with the motor. Never have seen any need for any style of "RV" cam but I dont think it will hurt. I would just stay stock. What you gain is lost elsewhere.

Clifford makes a great product... no problems or complaints from any of the owners I know. I've got no complaints.

jm

Just to give you guys a heads up, Clifford Performance no longer makes cams for the 2F.. I called and he said sorry but nope. MAF says they can get me one but it will take 4 weeks, hopefully I will have an update on some other cams for you guys soon.

Mike

There is a place, Reed Cams, near Atlanta that does a good job on re-grinds. I had one of their cams in an old Celica and it worked great. I called them about a re-grind for the cam in the FJ. The quoted me a very low price. I don't want to list it, but it was well below $100. Give them a call. www.reedcams.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom