Events/Trails Calling all Paddlers! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sneak peak of Hendog practicing his paddling yesterday:
6C8DD5CC-D248-4841-B020-D8000E848EF6.jpeg

The only reason he’s not sunk is because he’s on land!

FB_IMG_1588596971191.jpg

Enjoyed it.

Lessons Learned:
Sunscreen should have been applied at the beginning of the day - I did it after about an hour and my legs are like lobsters.
Top half of that stretch of river has some nice rapids and good flow, 2nd half is slow
Not a lot to look at on that stretch - other areas of the river have more rocks/interesting fauna/wildlife
Water was murky - fishing was therefore terrible
A 220lb weight limit sit inside kayak with a 250lb guy in it fills up with water when the waves get going

Biggest lesson:

It's time for us to get back to these types of activities. I thoroughly enjoyed the river, the adventure, the sunshine, the friends and the meal was awesome.

Enjoyed it.

Lessons Learned:
Sunscreen should have been applied at the beginning of the day - I did it after about an hour and my legs are like lobsters.
Top half of that stretch of river has some nice rapids and good flow, 2nd half is slow
Not a lot to look at on that stretch - other areas of the river have more rocks/interesting fauna/wildlife
Water was murky - fishing was therefore terrible
A 220lb weight limit sit inside kayak with a 250lb guy in it fills up with water when the waves get going

Biggest lesson:

It's time for us to get back to these types of activities. I thoroughly enjoyed the river, the adventure, the sunshine, the friends and the meal was awesome.

Amen to that. Such a great day. I’m voting we go a little father north on the Mayo as the put in for the May 16 trip. You guys know the water better than I do. I vote more “rapids” and scenery.

I had a great time and jacob did as well. We both got very burnt legs. But let me tell you the cowboy hat kept my face and neck perfect. And the squirt and riot performed wonderfully.

Yeah man, even with a "sit in" my legs will often get burnt down to the knee. Sometimes I bring a couple rags or bandanas that I'll wet then lay on top of my legs. Sometimes I'll wear a pair of Columbia zip-off long pants because they're super thin and dry quickly if they get drenched.

I had a great time and jacob did as well. We both got very burnt legs. But let me tell you the cowboy hat kept my face and neck perfect. And the squirt and riot performed wonderfully.

ole Squirt and riot maintaining 6’ distance

E5987372-449E-42FD-81D3-7608AB140366.jpeg

The lightweight pants are the ticket..... unless you pull them up for some reason. Judging by the gradation of coloring I did it twice :/

Awesome pictures! Awesome Day ! Awesome Encouragement! Awesome Help! Awesome Food! Awesome Nature! Just Awesome!!!!

Awesome ability of a PFD to keep you above the waterline? Awesome way to stuff packing foam into the voids to increase buoyancy? Ha! I had a similar issue last time Sarah and I went out together. We went out in 2 kayaks with gear to camp for the night. I was already right at the 225lb limit with just my body weight. I carried all the light stuff and was so happy we were only on a calm lake. A moving river would've sunk me! No cast iron and propane stove next time! ;) Or maybe use the British EIC method and have a porter...and a guy to carry my stuff, and my porters. :beer:

For those around the Charleston area lookin for boats.

THE USED KAYAK SHOP is now open online!
We've added an array of kayaks (SUPs to come soon!).

Ocean Kayak, P&H, Current Designs, a wooden Pygmy, Epic and Necky kayaks are on the site so far. Everything is pro-grade and well-maintained. Have questions or want to come check one out? Just give us a call at (843)884-7684.

Saturday May 16 Time and exact Launch site TBD

We have a bunch of kayakers and canoers in the club, and at some point we have all talked about a large float somewhere and sometime. This is it. Stephen (FJ40z) has proposed a section(s) of the Dan and/or Mayo Rivers close to Madison or Mayodan, NC. This area is convenient to the Triad and Triangle members, but still open to everyone in the group!

This does coincide with a Uwharrie workday, but due to Stephen's schedule, the Relic Run, letting the water warm up a little, Memorial Day, and the eventual NC summer heat, we decided we needed to get this on the books soon. Not everyone is a paddler, so I don't think we'll cut into the workday that much.

Please post up if you'd be interested in going, as we're trying to gauge if it will be a mid-morning trip with a late lunch, or more of a lunch start and dinner later. Food options could be either bring something for the end of the paddle or out somewhere.

1. GarnerFJ40
2. fj40z
3. forrest5000
4. jfz80
5. Jaeco
6. AJR
7. qslc75 (Potential)
8. White Tiger911
9. pkniland
10. jtmosca (Potential)
11. David70FJ40
12. jamesurq
13. uzj100
14. Hendog

Any details for this trip yet?

I think I’m going to have to bow out of the dan river trip but I plan to do a float down the Uwharrie on Saturday. Plan is to put in at the 109 bridge and take out Dennis Road take out. Plan is to mountain bike early and start the float around noon. Let me know if anyone is interested

I apologize for dropping the ball on this. Honestly I have kinda been dragging my feet and scratching my head about what to do. I apologize for not setting anything in stone as far as what section to run and the timing of everything. Was hoping the Covid problem was going to be more of a non issue by the time this trip would get here but now the trip is upon us and I can’t help but think it still is an issue. I honestly think it may be for the better to reschedule this for later in the fall but if there are a few that have really rearranged their plans to make this weekend work I’m sure we could make it happen. Please feel free to offer input and we can all put our heads together and decide if we wanna do this weekend or shoot for something in September or early October.

I'm still interested in going, however this weekend is booked up now. Please keep me in the loop if we pick other dates. Thanks!

13.5 mtb and a 7 mile float on the Uwharrie. A day well lived
1B01ED42-1170-47B9-93D1-D30B9BF5B2CF.jpeg
7930C258-23FC-4301-8A66-33B97BF84670.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom