Calling all captive nut experts.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

084runnerltd

SILVER Star
Threads
I should have taken pics, but I will use some pics from the web to help describe my issue...

I am in the process of removing the rear trailer hitch in order to install the slee rear bumper...and it didn't take me long to run into issues...

As I am sure some of you recall, there are 3 bolts per frame rail, 2 bolts near the rear, that run through the tow hook and one bolt further in, towards the center of the vehicle.

You can see the two outter bolts in this pic I stole from the web....
IMG_6628.PNG

So my issue is that there are no bolt heads on the back two bolts that run through the tow hooks. I can see the captive nuts inside the frame...but no bolt head to grab on to...???

Then on the bolt that is by itself, toward the center of the vehicle, I got that one turning with a 3/4" breaker bar and with 3 feet of extensions...the problem is, everything is turning...the bolt as well as the captive nut in the frame rail.

I called it quits and drove the rig to a autoshop who has done quite a bit of work for me.

I have a feeling I am gonna get it back with no captive nuts...I can't blame them, but how do I install the bumper with all of the bolts and holes cut/drilled out??

I left the shop with the bumper install directions, but guessing that won't help...

Nothing is ever as easy as it first seems...

Going through something similar with a rusted/broken frame mount. Plan right now is to make or buy a weld washer and tap for use with OEM bolts. Something like these:
Fix it Weld Washers, Set of 6
Drill out broken frame bolts / captive nuts to outside diameter of weld washer using mag drill and annular cutter. Weld in washer. Done.

I don't know if that helps any, but good luck.

When I ordered a hitch receiver from etrailer (for a different car), they included one of these, with some carriage bolts with the square portion by the head. I had to drill a hole in the frame, fish this through to the end of the frame, attach the bolt, then pull it through the hole. It also included a big rectangular washer with a square hole, which sat on the floor of the frame box and kept the bolt from turning. here's a video

When I had to install a hitch on my Bronco I fashioned up a similar thing with some safety/bailing wire. I didn't have the big washer and square hole, but with flat and lock washers under the nut it went together fine.

Thanks all, looks like there are many options. Amazing how much easier a task can be when you know what's available.

Thanks again, I will post when I get the truck back as to the condition of the captive nuts.

Going through something similar with a rusted/broken frame mount. Plan right now is to make or buy a weld washer and tap for use with OEM bolts. Something like these:
Fix it Weld Washers, Set of 6
Drill out broken frame bolts / captive nuts to outside diameter of weld washer using mag drill and annular cutter. Weld in washer. Done.

I don't know if that helps any, but good luck.

You could also try a rivet nut threaded insert.

Rivet Nut Thread Inserts | EssentraComponentsUS

When I ordered a hitch receiver from etrailer (for a different car), they included one of these, with some carriage bolts with the square portion by the head. I had to drill a hole in the frame, fish this through to the end of the frame, attach the bolt, then pull it through the hole. It also included a big rectangular washer with a square hole, which sat on the floor of the frame box and kept the bolt from turning. here's a video

When I had to install a hitch on my Bronco I fashioned up a similar thing with some safety/bailing wire. I didn't have the big washer and square hole, but with flat and lock washers under the nut it went together fine.

So I got the truck back...here is where I am at....
IMG_6650.JPG
IMG_6651.JPG
IMG_6652.JPG
IMG_6653.JPG

I was thinking of drilling out the bolts that are seen in the 3rd pic, cleaning up the threads and reusing the back two bolt holes.

For the one bolt hole (towards center of vehicle) I was gonna have a welder weld the bumper to the frame...? Anything wrong with going that route??

I bolted up all I could, luckily there was 2 bolts on each frame rail that were useable.

After I got mounted, I drove to a shop to have them weld around the areas that I couldn’t bolt down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom