call of nature (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just find a Jeep and drop one on the hood.

^^^Under the hood is better. As the Heep warms up, the aroma intensifies!

If you can't squat long enough to drop a deuce and wipe then proceed to bury it with a shovel then you shouldn't be camping. sometimes it helps to find a tree you can hold onto with a branch to hold the toilet paper if you need that extra luxury. If the ground is so rocky you can't dig than cover it with rocks. One night I found a perfect stump that had the middle rotted out behind my camp and figured it was a perfect natural toilet. Turned out it was home to some fire ants........ :bang: :oops::crybaby:

If you can't squat long enough to drop a deuce and wipe then proceed to bury it with a shovel then you shouldn't be camping. sometimes it helps to find a tree you can hold onto with a branch to hold the toilet paper if you need that extra luxury. If the ground is so rocky you can't dig than cover it with rocks. One night I found a perfect stump that had the middle rotted out behind my camp and figured it was a perfect natural toilet. Turned out it was home to some fire ants........ :bang: :oops::crybaby:

Call me crazy, but I believe people should be able to enjoy the outdoors on their terms with regards to things like this. Not everyone is so full of chauvinistic machismo like yourself; some people bring families, others are disabled, etc.

Besides which, some land management agencies have rules of pack it in, pack it out. That includes waste.

I absolutely believe everyone should be able to enjoy the outdoors even if it kills them.... My point is people should stay within their abilities, if someone has to ask an online forum how to handle nature when camping maybe they should stick to camping at places with facilities. Working for the blm I have had to help numerous idiots that would have had a really bad situation if I wasn't there to help because they were just trying to enjoy the outdoors beyond their limits. One example of many is when I was doing a saftey hike at the wave in Az. If I hadn't been there to help the two people I found with one water bottle each in the middle of June they would have died from heat exposure. A week after that experience a separate elderly couple died on the same trail from heat exposure, they were found with two empty gallon water jugs under a tree. It was later determined that they had spent the entire night before drinking cocktails.California couple hiking The Wave found deceased
When I rafted the Colorado River and had to pack it out it really put a damper on the trip for me. They made us pee in the river through a bleach soaked sponge and poop in ammo cans. Real enjoyable. I would have much rather dug a hole and buried it, but none of the proctologists from New York seemed to mind though.

Last edited:
I carry a small folding shovel and TP, in a vest pocket .. I drop my drawers and hang onto Chester until the paperwork is done, then Chester helps me back up.

:poop:
This. A U-Dig-It folding trowel and a pack of Kleenex. In the truck. In my day pack. I have a PEET potty, but it's annoying to carry, and use.

20190512_191230.jpg

I absolutely believe everyone should be able to enjoy the outdoors even if it kills them.... My point is people should stay within their abilities, if someone has to ask an online forum how to handle nature when camping maybe they should stick to camping at places with facilities. Working for the blm I have had to help numerous idiots that would have had a really bad situation if I wasn't there to help because they were just trying to enjoy the outdoors beyond their limits. One example of many is when I was doing a saftey hike at the wave in Az. If I hadn't been there to help the two people I found with one water bottle each in the middle of June they would have died from heat exposure. A week after that experience a separate elderly couple died on the same trail from heat exposure, they were found with two empty gallon water jugs under a tree. It was later determined that they had spent the entire night before drinking cocktails.California couple hiking The Wave found deceased
When I rafted the Colorado River and had to pack it out it really put a damper on the trip for me. They made us pee in the river through a bleach soaked sponge and poop in ammo cans. Real enjoyable. I would have much rather dug a hole and buried it, but none of the proctologists from New York seemed to mind though.

Taking a dump while camping isn’t exactly the same as not having enough water. And how is the OP going to learn and reach beyond their current abilities if they don’t ask questions? That’s great you have experience, I do too. But that had to come from somewhere and OP’s needs to come from somewhere as well. I’m pretty sure you’ve started threads asking a question before; how else were you going to learn? You probably felt that was the best course of action to get a variety of input in your situation.

But coming in here with a condescending tone and telling people that if they can’t, they shouldn’t is a bit rude, in my opinion.

And I would have hoped for better input from someone working for BLM, one of the agencies which has rules and regulations for pack it in, pack it out and has even published documents like this one:

Taking a dump while camping isn’t exactly the same as not having enough water. And how is the OP going to learn and reach beyond their current abilities if they don’t ask questions?

I'm going to disagree. Backcountry camping isn't for everybody, or the faint of heart. It can take some getting used to. Starting off with campgrounds that have facilities is a good place to start. Then work up from there. Jumping in a truck with no experience and heading to the Maze probably would not work out well. Though, they do require a PEET down there.

Building up one's confidence over a few trips is not bad advice. It not only allows practice on how to deal with "nature," but getting used to the assorted gear they will carry … and allow them to modify their gear accordingly on future trips.

I'm going to disagree. Backcountry camping isn't for everybody, or the faint of heart. It can take some getting used to. Starting off with campgrounds that have facilities is a good place to start. Then work up from there. Jumping in a truck with no experience and heading to the Maze probably would not work out well. Though, they do require a PEET down there.

Building up one's confidence over a few trips is not bad advice. It not only allows practice on how to deal with "nature," but getting used to the assorted gear they will carry … and allow them to modify their gear accordingly on future trips.

I’m all for warning someone about the potential challenges of camping, but chastising for attempting to learn by telling them they shouldn’t go is idiotic.

And no, bowel movements are not the same. What’s the worst case scenario for someone who isn’t prepared to crap in the woods, messy underwear and a guaranteed learning experience? How is that even remotely on the same level as potential death?

But coming in here with a condescending tone and telling people that if they can’t, they shouldn’t is a bit rude, in my opinion.

And I would have hoped for better input from someone working for BLM, one of the agencies which has rules and regulations for pack it in, pack it out and has even published documents like this one:

https://www.blm.gov/or/resources/recreation/files/brochures/portabletoilets.pdf

There isn't one blm law that says you have to pack it out. Show me the legal code. Recommendations are one thing, laws are another. The only places I have ever heard of the law saying you have to pack it out is in national parks and monuments. Or some special regulations for very specific places, usually rivers or water bodies. Who put you in charge Richard Dillard, I don't see moderator under your handle, I was just making a little joke and you obviously have blown it way out of proportion, if I offended the op I am sorry. If I offended Richard I am happy :flipoff2:

There isn't one blm law that says you have to pack it out. Show me the legal code. Recommendations are one thing, laws are another. The only places I have ever heard of the law saying you have to pack it out is in national parks and monuments. Or some special regulations for very specific places, usually rivers or water bodies. Who put you in charge Richard Dillard, I don't see moderator under your handle, I was just making a little joke and you obviously have blown it way out of proportion, if I offended the op I am sorry. If I offended Richard I am happy :flipoff2:

The laws and rules are sometimes behind the times. Sometimes it's better to do more than the law requires. With so many people out there now I always "recommend* people pack their "stuff" out.

The laws and rules are sometimes behind the times. Sometimes it's better to do more than the law requires. With so many people out there now I always "recommend* people pack their "stuff" out.
Does that mean you don't drive a gas guzzler?
The laws says all vehicles must get 54 mpg by 2025, maybe you should buy a Tesla. :bounce:
https://www.usnews.com/news/article...s-per-gallon-for-all-cars-by-2025-not-exactly

I am just messing with you and I do agree, if I ever visit an area that is so heavily trafficked that it is an issue I would pack it out.

Does that mean you don't drive a gas guzzler?
The laws says all vehicles must get 54 mpg by 2025, maybe you should buy a Tesla. :bounce:
https://www.usnews.com/news/article...s-per-gallon-for-all-cars-by-2025-not-exactly

I am just messing with you and I do agree, if I ever visit an area that is so heavily trafficked that it is an issue I would pack it out.

Actually my daily driver is a Tesla 😁😁😀
My gx470 is only for camping and offroading.

I find that packing it out if you have proper equipment is no trouble at all. I use wag bags and toilet from cleanwaste.com.
So I just do it all the time. Sometimes even when there are facilities.

Actually my daily driver is a Tesla 😁😁😀
My gx470 is only for camping and offroading.

Good for you man, like Ghandi said, "be the change that you want to see in the world". I used to be skeptical about the dangers of green house gases and our atmosphere, but after enough geology, physics, chemistry, and biology classes I finally see the importance of caring for our atmosphere. I can't afford a Tesla but I have started riding my bike to school instead of driving the 80

Back to the OP....I didn't catch what your circumstances were (back country hiking v/s car camping) so take this if you can use it or disregard as needed.
For car camping we use a diy lug a loo as someone mentioned above for the deuce and your favorite tree for urination.
For the women folk; there are 'female urination devices' on amazon to allow them to urinate standing with less worry about getting it on ya. They're basically $12 funnels so go to the auto parts store and get something shaped similarly and you're good.

For back country hiking I'm a cat hole and cover it kind of guy. Though the constipation from mountain house meals is not entirely unwelcomed over a 3 day hike. If it's your first time dumping in the woods, you might want to strip on down since leaving your pants bunched up around your ankles leaves them awfully close to the splat zone.

If it's your first time dumping in the woods, you might want to strip on down since leaving your pants bunched up around your ankles leaves them awfully close to the splat zone.
And if you are wearing shorts you just get used to the splash on your calves. :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom