calipers, rotors, lines, pads and brake booster? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i'm trying to get parts for a brake system baseline by a shop here in town. i've got a pair of 100 serial pads i bought and i figure to use them in front even if it is not the best option.
can anyone help me with the rest of it?
i'm hoping to just buy it and have it here so i can get this done before going out of town.
at this point i was thinking to try to get four remanufactured OEM calipers, let the shop turn the rotors if needed, put on OEam rear pads and then ask them to put in a new brake booster.
then i would have four calipers and a brake booster i could rebuild and put on a shelf.
thoughts on this. any idea what brand reman calipers i get? can i buy from rockauto? should i get rotors? what about the breaker booster. can i get OEM brand from rockauto?
i saw this thread but there doesn't appear to be much agreement on what to do i guess?
anyway i would love to have a lot of confidence going down a very steep mountain road so if i have to spend extra money here i will.
THANKS

Just get some Napa calipers

🍿🍿🍿🍺

Just did something similar minus the booster. I bought four oem calipers and pads (along with the kits for the calipers that you do need as well). I did new rotors as well as they are relatively cheap in the overall scheme.

Are you really going to need all the calipers in the future if you rebuild them. Will you need another booster in the future. My bet is if you do OEM you won't need to replace in the near future and when you need to replace you likely will have thrown out the parts you sat on for years after rebuilding.

You can go buy napa or others as some folks swear by aftermarket lifetime warranties but I have have nothing but good luck with OEM parts where I have not had the same experience with aftermarket.

You likely will be looking at an expensive job if all this is done through a shop with them supplying parts.

Good luck.

John

Is there an issue with the booster?

You'll see debate about aftermarket calipers failing. I have a set of Bendix rotors and raybestos calipers on my 80 that I bought from rockauto and have no complaints.

It's amazing what you'll find if you spend 30 seconds searching the forum on subjects that have been discussed hundreds of times.

Just did something similar minus the booster. I bought four oem calipers and pads (along with the kits for the calipers that you do need as well). I did new rotors as well as they are relatively cheap in the overall scheme.

Are you really going to need all the calipers in the future if you rebuild them. Will you need another booster in the future. My bet is if you do OEM you won't need to replace in the near future and when you need to replace you likely will have thrown out the parts you sat on for years after rebuilding.

You can go buy napa or others as some folks swear by aftermarket lifetime warranties but I have have nothing but good luck with OEM parts where I have not had the same experience with aftermarket.

You likely will be looking at an expensive job if all this is done through a shop with them supplying parts.

Good luck.

John
thanks for this John.
i tried to tackle this once before and i got lost in all of it to be honest. also i appreciate the word about the cost. i don't want to spend more than i have to but st the same time i would like to upgrade on brakes if it provides better braking.
i am assuming OEM brake lines standard length (2" lift) and some kind of pad (i can always swap out myself later).
but then i get kind of lost in this. i can't rebuild my own calipers since the shop won't have time for rhis and i doubt (?) they will rebuild them.
so i thought to just supply them with remanufactured calipers but remanufactured for the OEM supplier like i did with my denso starter? like can i do that? or as a fallback i guess i would buy new OEM or reuse the ones in there as they are?
then i could just supply them with OEM or aftermarket rotors?(!) or ask them to machine them ones in there?
i thought folks were saying you need to rebuild the brake booster and then they were saying you would want to replace the master cylinder at the same time. but @Dusten is asking if there is an issue with the brake booster?
basically i really don't want to do this job myself but i'd like to try to do it right...

Last edited:
It's amazing what you'll find if you spend 30 seconds searching the forum on subjects that have been discussed hundreds of times.
hi jon
thanks a lot for this. so these are NAPA part numbers the OEM calipers? if so do you know who made the OEM calipers?
THANK YOU

<edit: er, Jon that thread is hard to follow. the snip i posted is OEM ordering directly from Toyota? and people are saying NAPA reman doesn't come with identifying marks to show it is OEM manufactured but also that they don't do a good job?(!)>

"Caliper part number is correct if you want to do new OEM. They are stupid pricey.

I recommend the following for all 8/1992 trucks and later.

47730-60060-84
47750-60060-84

These are remanufactured with $20 core charge each. Sometimes they will run out and they won’t have any cores available to remanufacture, so they will throw a new OEM caliper in there.

Rear brake soft lines at the caliper:

90947-02615
90947-02614

These are side-specific. The fronts are not and use the part number above.

Rear calipers:

47730-60070-84
47750-60070-84

All of the calipers use the same pressure fitting and the gaskets for the fitting.

Rear caliper bolts at shorter than the front."

Last edited:
hi jon
thanks a lot for this. so these are NAPA part numbers the OEM calipers? if so do you know who made the OEM calipers?
You should read through the entire thread from the beginning.
Those are all Toyota part numbers.

thanks for this John.
i tried to tackle this once before and i got lost in all of it to be honest. also i appreciate the word about the cost. i don't want to spend more than i have to but st the same time i would like to upgrade on brakes if it provides better braking.
i am assuming OEM brake lines standard length (2" lift) and some kind of pad (i can always swap out myself later).
but then i get kind of lost in this. i can't rebuild my own calipers since the shop won't have time for rhis and i doubt (?) they will rebuild them.
so i thought to just supply them with remanufactured calipers but remanufactured for the OEM supplier like i did with my denso starter? like can i do that? or as a fallback i guess i would buy new OEM or reuse the ones in there as they are?
then i could just supply them with OEM or aftermarket rotors?(!) or ask them to machine them ones in there?
i thought folks were saying you need to rebuild the brake booster and then they were saying you would want to replace the master cylinder at the same time. but @Dusten is asking if there is an issue with the brake booster?
basically i really don't want to do this job myself but i'd like to try to do it right...

If the master and booster aren't showing issues, I don't see a point in replacing them. They're not exactly maintenance items.

If you're going deep enough to do a booster you should consider replacing all the soft lines.

If the master and booster aren't showing issues, I don't see a point in replacing them. They're not exactly maintenance items.

If you're going deep enough to do a booster you should consider replacing all the soft lines.
thanks man,
i'll xerox them FSM to see if i can get my head around the rest of it in case i need it later.
so for short term needs i would do five (or whatever) rubber OEM brake lines (or after market stainless lines), four rebuilt or new calipers and four resurfaced or new rotors?
do you have any opinion on rebuilding OEM calipers or resurfacing rotors versus "just" buying after market calipers or OEM calipers new? seems like the NAPA reman has less than stellar

thanks man,
i'll xerox them FSM to see if i can get my head around the rest of it in case i need it later.
so for short term needs i would do five (or whatever) rubber OEM brake lines (or after market stainless lines), four rebuilt or new calipers and four resurfaced or new rotors?
do you have any opinion on rebuilding OEM calipers or resurfacing rotors versus "just" buying after market calipers or OEM calipers new? seems like the NAPA reman has less than stellar

Rotors are to cheap not to replace them.

@landcruiser3DP Are your brake lines rusting? If not I wouldn't bother replacing them as they're not really considered a wear item. If the booster goes bad it won't leave you stranded, you'll just get a firm pedal, I drove mine like that for a while before replacing.

For now I'd just stick to a fluid flush if it's not nice and clear, maybe reseal the MC while you're at it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom