Calipers: Rebuild or Replace? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Will do. I'll try to remember to compare the old vs new when I install. I'll be doing quite a bit to the old girl that day.

Mongoose - how did you end up liking those brakes from Brake Performance? Need to replace a seized caliper on the front of an 80, and considering doing rotors as well.

Hey guys - any updates on the best source for reman calipers? I have a seized rear caliper. I don't have the time / patience to rebuild them right now.

There are way more threads on 80 caliper reman's, and the 80's guys all used to use NAPA, but they are no longer sold under the Gold / Eclipse line and it seems like their quality has slipped... they are now sold under "Adaptive One".

Looking for any insight possible. New OEM appears to be 175+. I cant find an OEM reman part number.

Last edited:
Hey guys - any updates on the best source for reman calipers? I have a seized rear caliper. I don't have the time / patience to rebuild them right now.

There are way more threads on 80 caliper reman's, and the 80's guys all used to use NAPA, but they are no longer sold under the Gold / Eclipse line and it seems like their quality has slipped... they are now sold under "Adaptive One".

Looking for any insight possible. New OEM appears to be 175+. I cant find an OEM reman part number.
I have Callahan reman calipers all four corners, got them off Amazon, I've been very happy with them two years on. I've done multiple trips with a 4,000 lbs pop-up camper with these calipers and no complaints.

Are you willing to rebuild them yourself?

I've not rebuilt a 100's specifically, but for most cars it's really a pretty simple and satisfying process.

Are you willing to rebuild them yourself?

I've not rebuilt a 100's specifically, but for most cars it's really a pretty simple and satisfying process.
I dont have an issue rebuilding, per se. I was even thinking of keeping mine instead of sending them back as cores and rebuilding them.

My GF is using my truck at the moment while shes car shopping, and she's out of town with work, so the fastest way to get this done would be useful at the moment.

I dont have an issue rebuilding, per se. I was even thinking of keeping mine instead of sending them back as cores and rebuilding them.

My GF is using my truck at the moment while shes car shopping, and she's out of town with work, so the fastest way to get this done would be useful at the moment.
4 pistons in a caliper. It's very easy to rebuild these. Just do the 4 seals and 4 dust boots! Make sure the perimeter where the dust boot goes on the caliper is clean. There is no grove to hold the metal ring that holds the boot to the caliper.

4 pistons in a caliper. It's very easy to rebuild these. Just do the 4 seals and 4 dust boots! Make sure the perimeter where the dust boot goes on the caliper is clean. There is no grove to hold the metal ring that holds the boot to the caliper.

Should I get anything else but this?

I tried rebuilding one two days ago and the kit was pretty disappointing. Couldn’t get the dust boot rings to seat. That being said it was a febest kit from partsouq, not OEM. I went ahead and ordered a reman from rockauto for like $45 to have on standby. Not sure how long mine will last without the dust boot rings.

One more thing… removing seized pistons from a four piston caliper is a SUPER sketchy endeavor. Be careful. Looks like you’re doing rear tho so shouldn’t be that bad since it’s just a single piston.

Should I get anything else but this?

Yes, that should work. Make sure to lube the slider pins with proper caliber grease. Install the dust boots correctly. The most common failure of a floating caliper (like the rear calipers on cruiser) is the sliding pin getting seized.

I tried rebuilding one two days ago and the kit was pretty disappointing. Couldn’t get the dust boot rings to seat. That being said it was a febest kit from partsouq, not OEM. I went ahead and ordered a reman from rockauto for like $45 to have on standby. Not sure how long mine will last without the dust boot rings.

One more thing… removing seized pistons from a four piston caliper is a SUPER sketchy endeavor. Be careful. Looks like you’re doing rear tho so shouldn’t be that bad since it’s just a single piston.
THAT^^^

Make sure the surface is clean and no oily substance: Once you contaminate that surface, you'll have to clean the inside of the dust boot as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom