Cable locker conversion, my way. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, just want to share my progress with my recently designed cable locker conversion. There's been a few people asking me about this so I figure I would just start a thread now despite not being 100% complete yet.

So this all started after acquiring my 97 fzj from my father a couple months ago. One of the first things on my list was getting the e-lockers working as I knew that they did not. This kind of thing is not a huge surprise to anyone who lives in New England. Upon inspection they were both completely corroded and seized, also by observing the internals, I could tell by the factory placement of grease inside that the units had never actually actuated at all in the entire 20+ years on the vehicle. So, faced with hundreds of dollars for replacements and being a fabricator / machinist I decided it would be much more productive to spend considerably more time than replacing the parts and spend more money than the parts cost in coming up with an analog solution of my own.

I had a few expectations for myself as follows:

1 . No more that a single hole needing to be drilled and all parts otherwise mounting to factory available points.

2 . It needs to look pretty cool obviously.

3 . Easy to remove to service and for servicing nearby parts.

4. Something repeatable so that I can make many of and make it available to others. ( Ive done much of this in the past for other vehicles)

5. Make both the front and rear axle units.

6 . Make it work good.

7. Have something that doesn't interfere in the passenger compartment with other controls.

So far I have completed and tested the front setup ( IMO the hardest one to get out of the way) as well as the control system which resides in the cabin.

The front locker assembly looks like this at the differential............Please excuse my crusty, greasy test bed of an fj. Its not the cleanest but is my fav:

IMG_20190805_181155.jpg

As you can see, there is a flanged assembly which replaces the factory unit. It allows the installation of the original gear and uses existing mount points. The cable holder is solid bar stock which is threaded and replaces the factory 3rd member nut in that location and acts as a standoff for the cable. The first draft of this had the cable mounting point welded to the end, this didn't work out because it required shimming the bottom with washers until the end was facing the right way once proper torque was hit...no bueno. The end of the standoff is now threaded and the cable holder can be fitted after the fact in any orientation. (see inset socket bolt)

IMG_20190805_181145.jpg

In this photo you see the unit in the fully LOCKED position. The actuator rod requires exactly 3" of swing to operate and the cable has exactly 3" of travel. This setup doesnt move the internal parts "good enough" into lock and "good enough" out of engagement, it uses ALL of the factory travel for FULL-in and FULL-out. You will also notice that the standoff rod is machined for a 13mm hex to aid in tightening it to the 3rd. It may also be hard to see but the setup is designed to run within 1/8" of the 3rd, it hugs nice and close.

Some may ask why the bottom mount. I chose it because it worked better to be honest. The cable is out of the way and has a much more graceful slack for allowing suspension movement than what i was able to get on the top, and despite first impressions, it is actually pretty well protected by the bottom of the axle and the tie rod. If you are like me and avoid dragging your pinion and tie rod over obstacles, it should be no issue.

IMG_20190805_181134.jpg

Fully unlocked. Not much else to see here. I neglected to take pics of the actuator off the vehicle but I will also add that the unit is o-ring sealed like the factory unit and also features an o-ring seal on the shaft itself for no leakage. I will get pics of the actuator on the bench and also pics of the cable routing.

Here is the cabin control assembly:

IMG_20190807_163323.jpg

I forgot to mention - please forgive a few things that may stand out, this is purely a working prototype and finish units will be a tad better and different, however all these parts pictured will be staying on my truck ;)

So I decided to go with an extruded aluminum rail with sliding levers. Not only is it easier than my other plan but it allows for 3 sliders to operate 3 cables all in one compact linear arrangement. Shown pictured is with just 2, and either cable can be run to either hole depending on which locker you prefer in which position. I also have made the sliders adjustable for wear but well see if that particular feature gets done for produced units. Also this assembly as well as the actuator contain a lot of stainless parts (because i have it laying around) these will probably be mostly replaced with aluminum.

Here it is in the truck:

IMG_20190807_165052.jpg

If you can pry your eyes from the filthy floor you can see that it not only mounts to factory points for the console it also does not interfere with any other controls and also is well away from the legs of any passengers ( tested true ). Quite a few things need minor refinement but as I said this is still a working prototype. At this point all of the major development has been sorted. I know where things need to go and what dimensions it all needs to be.

The following post will show the cable hole as I cant attach more photos in this post.

IMG_20190807_165002.jpg

Here is the single hole which needs to be made. Its placement is pretty specific but still a 5 minute job, there is obviously also a corresponding cut in the carpet. This one hole will also be used for both cables as far as I can tell so far. So that's pretty much where I stand. The rear is in the works and I will post progress there as soon as I get it it going.

Cheers and all questions welcome!

One more inside pic as well. :)

IMG_20190807_164850.jpg

You can check off #2. It looks cool.
I might be interested in that if I can't get the lockers on the 93 axles I acquired working. This might be more reliable than the old electric ones anyway.

Looks great man, nice work. Sign me up for sure, interested in the front and rear when you get that one figured out.

Can the controls be mounted on the driver's side if you wanted to or is it specific to the passenger side?

The great thing about the control rail is it can go anywhere it fits as long as cable length is considered. I will investigate making driver side mounts tomorrow. The cable will need different routing but I'm confident it's not a huge deal. I'll update for sure on that.

The great thing about the control rail is it can go anywhere it fits as long as cable length is considered. I will investigate making driver side mounts tomorrow. The cable will need different routing but I'm confident it's not a huge deal. I'll update for sure on that.

Great to hear! I have a bunch of crap hanging on that side of the console, tablet, cupholder, power outlets, etc. Not a deal breaker for me, but would be nice if you could mount on either side.

As the post above me addresses, many here have that particular location used for lots of other things. So it's worth considering more mounting options.

Other then that cheers to creating something new! My e lockers still work but I'd def be interested when they fail.

I admit driver mounting was a consideration but not a personal priority. I will definitely make that happen if possible. The hard stuff is worked out quite well. Mounting is relative ease really. I'm actually thinking now that the driver side may even have through firewall access already which would mean 0 drilling. Then again there is also a lot going on on that side already.

Couple more questions/comments...

I was looking at my front diff yesterday and noticed I have some rock rash right around the area where you have the cable holder. This means I must have plowed over a boulder then dragged it over the back side of the pinion.

What are your thoughts on clearance and protection from rocks for those of us that take our 80s on some tougher trails? And what do you have planned for the rear locker which is even more exposed to rocks? I do have the Slee e-locker skid plate for the rear and this was one has already sustained some damage: Slee - Toyota 80 Series Land Cruiser - E Locker Skidplate

ptmKX6Qh.jpg

4oE485lh.png

Neat project, but I agree with @jcardona1 I think a lot of guys would destroy that pretty quickly mounted to the bottom of the diff like that.

I get the concern. Honestly I think everything is vulnerable one way or another. In Maine our trails are wooded and can be riddled with branches and whatnot. Can't tell you how many times I've driven logs over the axle and chowdered my brake lines and breather hoses etc. There's always a trade off. I don't see why you couldn't just weld some more plate steel under it as well.:hillbilly:

But in seriousness these are good thoughts, and I had them myself but as I said, it's just a weighing game and I'm simply making this for myself primarily. Those who like can haz, those who don't can haz not. :meh:

Another point I'd make is that although I'm new to this community I have been at this stuff for some time. When it comes.to making peeps happy I do go above and beyond. If someone installs this and trashes it doing what it's meant for, send me a pic and ill ship you another part. Nothing more to it.

Also as far as the rear goes, the setup will be more conventionally located above the third member so it'll be no more vulnerable than the factory junk.

I was gonna say, it looks like it should work on top without much hassle.

Just a quick update:

Real life sucks balls. Scarce time to do my own thing but it is coming along. Got the rear locker mechanism done and working, just needs a cable support post similar to the front and that should about do it. Once that's figured i am going to revisit the front and make a top mount adapter post. Also planning to make the control assembly lockable to keep actuators in position once selected. Then of course I will investigate driver side mounting options as well.

Real life does in fact suck sometimes. I'm a carpenter and can't even find the time to build my damn drawer system...😂

Good luck getting to it!

I would be very interested in this once you have it ready for use beyond your own rig. I have 5 Elocked '80s that would benefit from this system. What sort ballpark cost are we talking about here?

Mark...

Make the arm a wheel, with holes all around, then can be mounted in any orientation, like this. E-Racer | Chilkat Designs

Have only used one once, but holding pressure till it locked or unlocked, was kinda cumbersome, glad to have my electric actuators. The factory cable lockers are spring loaded, much more convenient to use.

It doesn't need to be a wheel to be used in other orientations. Internally there is a gear so you can simply loosen the unit and clock the arm any way you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom