Cable locker conversion, my way. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any thoughts on doing this for the center diff?

Havnt even given it a thought. My first thought would be that it is much tighter in there. Ill investigate.

Making progress.

Making most parts from aluminum to cut my time and costs of doing this as much as possible. Of course as I save time I find was to refine and end up taking just as long.:meh:

Got 9 front units basically done and a good head start on the rears.

IMG_20190906_150700.jpg

Parts posing.

IMG_20190907_163951.jpg

IMG_20190907_164310.jpg

IMG_20190907_164329.jpg

IMG_20190907_164733.jpg

Is there a list yet. If so could you add me
Jason

There is not yet. I like being nearly prepared before getting ahead of myself. Your post here will be referenced later;)

Hey there, very interested in a set of actuators! I'm in the process of building an extended cab fj45 on an 80 frame that's factory locked. I'm using three OEM fj40 Hi/Low levers to engage the diff locks, as well as Hi/Low on the 80 transfer case.

It looks like you use the factory gear in the front assembly on your design? And possibly the rear cylinder than slides in and out?

20190311_181248.jpg

20190322_172253.jpg

20190322_172507.jpg

20190322_172514.jpg

20190323_095227.jpg

20190323_095313.jpg

Yes, factory gear up front and rear shaft. My rear shafts will be made in house as I need to weld the adapter. It's also a very simple part. 14mm shaft with s threaded hole.

Yes, factory gear up front and rear shaft. My rear shafts will be made in house as I need to weld the adapter. It's also a very simple part. 14mm shaft with s threaded hole.

Gotcha, thanks! Please notify me when the first batch is done! I'd love to try them out!

I’m interested as well when you have price info🤙

Coming along on the rears. I'm making tooling and inventing manufacture techniques now to save myself further hassle in the future if this goes on. This stuff really adds boatloads of time to the whole process.

I've committed to not doing ANY welding on these parts, I'm a welder and not opposed to welding however this kind of stuff isn't where it belongs IMO. Im revising everything to work by press fit instead, also makes things efficient and more consistent.

As you can see, geometry is in keeping with the prototype but things are looking different and more refined. ( Yes I'm using roughing end mills and see no issue here with that)

IMG_20190910_180852.jpg

You may look at that pic and think my hole pattern is wonky, it's not. I have no idea why the diff has the weird bolt pattern with one hole in left field drunk.

IMG_20190910_180915_1.jpg

Bores for inner and outer seal as well as grooved for o-ring.

IMG_20190910_180923.jpg

I'm also pretty close now so I think I will be willing to accept pre order payments this week for those interested. These will be discounted some for the first run as this is a new item and people are not yet that familiar with me, basically just making it worth my efforts at this time.

I'll be contacting people in order of who came forward first and figuring out who wants what.

I'm making 90% of this in house and have dished out for everything so far material wise. Pre order payments will go toward getting any cables needed and other misc. hardware I'm not making myself.

Here's what I'm settling on at this point.

Rear actuators - $355 with silver jacket cable.

Front actuators - $325 with silver jacket cable

Subtract $63 or $45 respectively if cables not required

Control assembly - $210 (this is also being revised and will be nicer than shown previously).

I will pm interested parties to get a solid list going. I will also need to know from people how much lift they have for cable length and if ordering a front actuator I need to know if top or bottom mount is desired.

Thanks for all the interest guys, this stuff floats my boat.

Sorry (to those who care) for the delay. This isn't dead, just a struggle with life to get things in order here. I did put some life stuff on the shelf for a while to focus on stuff like this and it caught up with me.

Anyway, looks like next week a couple patient folks will be getting some parts sent their way. Will feel good to actually get something out the door with this. Just wanted to keep the thread alive with an update.

Final version of rears.

IMG_20191005_131225.jpg

IMG_20191005_131201.jpg
IMG_20191005_131309.jpg

I’ve been following this with interest. Is there any update re availability and the possibility of doing CDL as well?

Still going, just too busy with stuff to dare to do to much promoting 😉

A couple of these have gone out already and I do have many parts made up. Just dragging my ass on getting some more control units finished.

As for the center diff, I have not explored that yet but will be at some point!

IMG_20191105_152157.jpg

Latest version that's being sent out. All else has stayed the same. All that really changed here is the dust boot for the pivot.

Center diff lock would be killer! I would BUY BUY BUY!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom