Bypass / Replace Oil Cooler? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
'92 FJ80

Since I bought this truck, I've found it needs a steady diet of coolant in which the source I've been slowly chasing around... The other day, I pulled the oil filler cap and found milky oil...

But... I'd like to eliminate the cheap / easy issues first, before I go take the head to get fluxed.

How is the oil cooler bypassed? I see a lot of chatter about the infamous oil cooler, and bypassing it, but is there a thread describing this modification / test?

There are two coolant hoses going to the oil cooler. I would imagine you would disconnect those and tie them together. However, if my oil cooler was toast, i would put a new one back in.

There are two coolant hoses going to the oil cooler. I would imagine you would disconnect those and tie them together. However, if my oil cooler was toast, i would put a new one back in.

Right, but if there is a leak between the coolant and oil sections, the oil will seep out... I guess that would be a good test to see if that's where the issue is, but I've read where folks bypass it entirely. I guess you could remove the cooler and use a hose to connect the two banjo fittings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom