BVSV spot on thermostat housing issue - and I thought I'd have it running by the end of weekend (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1977 FJ40 and am not very mechanically inclined but have loved trying to work on this thing. I was replacing the radiator and decided to change the hoses and per a thread on here; the thermostat. So I took the old thermostat off (one with a BVSV). I didn't know any better and after reading all the threads here about heat and kroil, etc; still managed to break the bolts in the housing. Long story but I never got them all the way out on all points; even took a hacksaw to one after getting some space; etc. It was late and I was aggravated and at this point had planned on buying a new one anyway (not knowing about the info in the next paragraph). Anyway, I wound up just buying a brand new housing upper and lower.

Then I realized that it didn't have the spot for the BVSV to go to what I've learned is a smog/emissions thing. Then I was told they don't make the lower housing with the BVSV spot anymore. So I'm at the point now do I return the new housing (if its still possible) and try to get someone that has better tools than me to get out the broken spots in the old housing (where the bolt pieces are - I bought the hard metal drill bit and still couldn't get it to budge) and try to use it or should I try and bypass the emissions stuff? I've read different threads though saying the engines run better with emissions system. Also, I'm aware the hacksaw wasn't a good idea although I believe the housings are salvageable if I could get the old bolt pieces out. I think that electric/corroded chemical thing happened with the aluminum housing and steel bolts, etc. That being said I have a brand new upper and lower housing also (without the spot for the BVSV) so I just want to do what's best.

Thanks for any help in advance,
-Brock

I would hold onto the new one for now and bring the old one to a machine shop and see if they can help you. If you could post some pictures it would help. Good luck

The machine shop can likely hit the broken bolt with a welder and get them out... If not, make a spot in the new housing for a smog sensor.

Thanks both of you - makes a lot of sense. I'll start looking for a machine shop now and post pics later.

I got the original housings back from the machine shop today and they look great. I mailed the others (new housings without the spot for the BVSV spot) back too. Next time I'm just going to take my housings straight to them if I'm in this situation but hopefully coating the shanks well with anti-seize will help. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom