Buying a former military trailer with no title (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is it worth purchasing a former military generator trailer without a title. Looking at building a propane tank smoker and keep coming across military trailers that would make a great base, but no title. It would be towed on PA roads and would prefer to be legal :)

Similar with boat/jet ski trailers, available for cheap, but no title.

Any thoughts/insight?

I was looking for a trailer last spring and had the same questions. I actually purchased one from NJ which didn't have a title, but was registered to the previous owner. With his current registration card and the vin plate on the (M101A3) trailer I was able to get a PA title without any kind of enhanced inspection.

If it's not titled nor actively registered out of state I think the enhanced inspection would be a requirement.

Thanks guys. Will do a bit more research and make a few calls. Unfortunately with PennDOT being shut down right now, along with many other businesses, this may take a bit longer to accomplish than normal.

I gotta say, I've pulled small trailers all over the East coast for years and NEVER had ANYONE ask to see any registration or documents regarding any trailer attached. Sort of an overlooked object.
Now of course, having said that....

I have also registered a m416 with questionable paperwork, no problem, no inspection.

I'm currently in the same boat - hope to pick the trailer up this week. I've talked with an inspection station offering the full range of inspections including enhanced. Their suggested route is do it as a "home built" trailer and using the sale documents as part of the "parts package" used to build the trailer. They say this will work as you're modifying the trailer into something else than it was originally. I'll update you on my experiences as I go along.

Here's the one I grabbed:

Trailer.jpg

Last edited:
Home built is the easiest way. Only downside I've seen for my pickup bed trailer being registered as "special construction" is that without an actual VIN and title, State Farm would not insure it.

A few people I know that have multiple trailers just get one trailer tag and move it from trailer to trailer as needed. Like you said, nobody ever asks for paperwork on the trailer as long as it has a valid tag on it.

In MS you register it as a homemade trailer, but you have to make a VIN. From there you get a trailer tag and registration. I think it took me 20 minutes from start to finish.

PM me, I have the answer.

Well the one trailer I was interested in sold, so continuing the hunt. Will be picking my propane tank up this week or next, so I can get started on that part while I search.

Were you looking at Chambersburg? Or elsewhere?

Picked mine up.
0319201017-00 copy.jpg

Have to start stripping things off of it. The box on the one fender is connections for the generator. The landing gear probably weighs 120# at least. Toolbox is also in the way. At that point I'll start assessing other modifications.

Were you looking at Chambersburg? Or elsewhere?

Picked mine up.
View attachment 2245899

Have to start stripping things off of it. The box on the one fender is connections for the generator. The landing gear probably weighs 120# at least. Toolbox is also in the way. At that point I'll start assessing other modifications.

Was similar but up in Liverpool.

Only planning on a 250 gallon tank and around a 32”x32” firebox. I think a military trailer may be a touch heavy for what I really need. Once I pick the tank up from my boss, I may build it so that I can incorporate it into my car hauler trailer, but making it relatively easy to put on and take off.

I know there were two that sold at Letterkenny. I was just curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom