buying a 91-92 fj80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

semlin

curmudgeon
Threads
Hey folks, I am looking at the idea of buying a 91-92 FJ80 (let's just say it’s not for me and there is a severe budget restriction in play :flipoff2:). After nearly a year of being on this board I realize I’ve not seen much discussion about the particular issues to watch out for when buying a 3fe powered 80 other than the need to avoid hills when driving it home. Are there any issues that are different from those you look for in a 93-97? The only major difference I can think of is the rear drums.

I think the principal things to look out for in a 3FE powered rig are the EFI wire fix (minor and easy) and the oil pan and rear man seal sometimes leak a bit. Of course you have the standard front axle condition concerns. There is no viscus coupler in the transfer to worry about. WE had a PUFF 92 come thru the shop a couple weeks ago for service. It had 56K on the clock and still smelled new inside. There are no brake system issues other than they are taxed by the size of the vehicle. I Know of one brake booster failure, that's about it. It's safe to bet that they have not been horse wipped by excessive torque. :rolleyes:

D-

What Dan meant to say was...

"Blah, blah, blah. They suck. Get another FZJ!"

Okay there it is... :D

I am proud to say that "I" am that one brake booster failure!!!

Dan, you mentioned the EFI wire fix. What needs to be done? Couldn't find anything in the archives. ??? Thanx Darren

as far as differences between 91 and 92 they are pretty minor. the 92 will have and intermetent control for the windsheild wipers and will most likely have leather 91 wont.
Dave

How can have a taste like that. ???

Ugly, ugly, ugly :ban:

This combination of colors is really great :flipoff2:

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom